Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Pilot Mixtape IS FINALLY FUCKING HERE.

Comments

• MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    19 tracks? Shit nigga. I don't know what standard protocol for mixtapes is, but that's hella many tracks.
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    19 tracks? Shit nigga. I don't know what standard protocol for mixtapes is, but that's hella many tracks.

You're forgetting that even Hip Hop albums are usually 15-20 tracks on average lol. Not like Metal. And usually, mixtapes are longer. Easily around the 20 track range. It was originally a 12 track mixtape, but I wrote so much Music that I needed to put it on here, plus, I figured with how much of a delay there was for this to finally come out, people are gonna think I was sleeping, and I can't come out with only 12 new tracks after such a dry spell of no new Music. I write so much, I already have like half of my second mixtape, Lonestar, written.
  • BlindGuardian93BlindGuardian93 Posts: 4,988 jayfacer
    I willd how much money are you putting in for the whole recording process?
    I've been lost in endless seas My heart died long ago I curse my failures as I fall from you
    I willd how much money are you putting in for the whole recording process?

Over $500 for everything. Around $200 for recording, and then the rest is going into my logo, a photoshoot for the cover, and getting cover art printed, cases, art on the CDs, getting the mixtape burned onto said CDs, etc. I have $500 in pocket right now and feel like a boss, but it's all for the mixtape.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    That's not actually that bad. Fuck, I put like $110(we split it 3 ways) into a 3 song demo/EP that I didn't even know I was going to be a part of 'til like 3 days before the recording session. I was kind of pissed. I didn't want to pay to record shit I wasn't even a part of writing.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2012
    Not really, Lil Wayne used to put upwards of 25 on his old mixtapes.
    Over $500 for everything. Around $200 for recording, and then the rest is going into my logo, a photoshoot for the cover, and getting cover art printed, cases, art on the CDs, getting the mixtape burned onto said CDs, etc. I have $500 in pocket right now and feel like a boss, but it's all for the mixtape.
    If I can offer you any words of advice, it's make yourself marketable. No one gives a shit if you're more ghetto or whatever, that's not what makes successful, money-making musicians. Be marketable. Do what you want, I'm not saying sell out, but remember that the people who'll make you successful don't care about anything other than the money coming in. If they don't think you can do that, they'll kick you to the curb.

Diggin' putting 500 into everything, but make sure you get as much out as you can. It would suck to be in the exact same position next year, right?
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    Last verse I'm sharing 'til the mixtape drops, just wrote this and so happy with how it came out. And with this, yet another track completely written.

All I really got left is a dolla and a dream.
    And an eye on the future, but lately, it seems bleak.
    I was never too intrigued by the sting of defeat.
    So retreatin's not an option, I'm marchin' wit broken feet.
    It's scary how much I mean it when I say Music saved my life.
    Because the outlook on my fight was not too bright without dat light.
    Like these nights when I'm sittin' all alone.
    If I ain't have these tones, would I just be grippin' chrome?
    Instead of black pens, bleedin' ink on notebooks.
    Would I have a Mac-10, pressed against my dome? Look.
    I ain't sayin' that's where I'm at right now.
    But damn, not a lotta people got my back right now.
    I can hear 'em very clearly, sharin' laughs, like clowns.
    Tryna shoot me while I'm high, but I'm the last flight down.
    But that's only because my dreams replaced screams.
    Visions of a prize, took place of cries in my eyes.
    You can walk over a peasant, but you can't deface a king.
    So my kingdom gon' rise in this life denied of allies.
    Relyin' on myself, to reach the divine skies.
    Either that, or stay in Hell, feelin' dead while I'm alive.
    But when I go, I just hope for a fair demise.
    That those who turned they spine, realize I was a rare design.
    Luck is a facade, so I never roll a pair of dice.
    Ambition gon' carry me home, when I'm so far from paradise.
    Not really, Lil Wayne used to put upwards of 25 on his old mixtapes.
    If I can offer you any words of advice, it's make yourself marketable. No one gives a shit if you're more ghetto or whatever, that's not what makes successful, money-making musicians. Be marketable. Do what you want, I'm not saying sell out, but remember that the people who'll make you successful don't care about anything other than the money coming in. If they don't think you can do that, they'll kick you to the curb.

Diggin' putting 500 into everything, but make sure you get as much out as you can. It would suck to be in the exact same position next year, right?
    Thanks for actually not hating.

Only thing to pick out of that real quick is I'm not tryna be "more ghetto".

But anyways, I know that, and it's a learning process as I go along. It's also part of why I started making my shit more catchy, spending so much time on hooks, making sure they're catchy as possible. Why? 'Cause A: I think to myself, what keeps me coming back to all these songs I listen to over and over again over everything else? Catchiness. It's why I'm so addicted to XO, every song, every lyric, just gets burned into my head and is instantly catchy, nigga's a mastermind with melodies. B: Catchiness sells. A song doesn't have to be catchy to be good, for instance, love shit like Immortal Technique's Dance With The Devil, I feel it's one of the best songs ever made, but it's not catchy at all, and he's successful as an independent artist, but he never made any MAJOR major sales. And C: Making it catchy is making the Music I like. A lot of these hooks are so catchy that I can't stop listening to myself.

But that's just one aspect of it, image, promotion, so many things, all go into it.

And fosho, I know, I'm extremely confident in this mixtape, and I know, that if I push it right, I can finally gain a bigger local audience, get some shows, start building up. Im'ma be on 24/7 hustle mode and be like a crack dealer with this mixtape. The hard work ain't even gonna be the creation of the Music, compared to what I'm gonna do with it after it drops. That's part of why I haven't pushed too hard for shows. I don't wanna hit up a venue like "Yea, uh, go to my Soundcloud and listen. >Insert Link Here.<", that's unprofessional as fuck, but Im'ma be working my ass off for shows after I drop this, 'cause then I can send an official full release to venues and shit, and do it how it's 'sposed to be done.
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2012
    Well, I just wanna drop this.

Erik, continue following your shit. To quote you, "do you playboy". It's great to see you stick to a goal you have set and go forth with it. It's interesting to see you go the "fuck soundcloud" route per se. I was at a rap show at Reggies after my bday last week at the cubs/sox game and I dropped in to say hello to the people I knew working the show. I happened to catch the tail end of some rappers set and the last few songs, all he said was "check out my facebook at ________" For me, I immediately reacted with "which one of these people will be sober enough to remember this shit in the morning?" Now, why do I say it's interesting? Social media is almost too easy and to a point redundant when it comes to music. Yet, many people across every genre think that facebook, soundcould, myspace, etc will be enough to get their name out. I'm happy that you, being a part of the technology driven era, refuse to rely solely on the internet to push your shit and are willing to invest heavily (at your age, $500 isn't exactly chump change) into getting your shit onto a physical copy. Well done, mate. Cheers.
    Well, I just wanna drop this.

Erik, continue following your shit. To quote you, "do you playboy". It's great to see you stick to a goal you have set and go forth with it. It's interesting to see you go the "fuck soundcloud" route per se. I was at a rap show at Reggies after my bday last week at the cubs/sox game and I dropped in to say hello to the people I knew working the show. I happened to catch the tail end of some rappers set and the last few songs, all he said was "check out my facebook at ________" For me, I immediately reacted with "which one of these people will be sober enough to remember this shit in the morning?" Now, why do I say it's interesting? Social media is almost too easy and to a point redundant when it comes to music. Yet, many people across every genre think that facebook, soundcould, myspace, etc will be enough to get their name out. I'm happy that you, being a part of the technology driven era, refuse to rely solely on the internet to push your shit and are willing to invest heavily (at your age, $500 isn't exactly chump change) into getting your shit onto a physical copy. Well done, mate. Cheers.
    Thank you, this means a lot. I wouldn't say I'm completely saying "Fuck you." as far as social media and using the Internet, 'cause your Internet game should still be on point with Music, it's a big way to get out there, for instance, Im'ma push my mixtape to multiple blogs and try and get some to put it up (2DopeBoyz is one of the most well known ones.), however, people see Internet overnight success stories, like A$AP, or Wolf Gang, who came up by heavily pushing their shit all across the Internet, and think "Well damn, all I need is the Internet, I just need to promote myself like they did.", and that's just not always the case. My point with physical copies, is as simple as keeping them on me, approaching the right people who look like they're into Hip Hop, "Ay, you like Hip Hop? This is my mixtape, check it out, and if you're feeling it, all my info's on there.", (Since I'll be putting my Episode 95 Facebook link on it, Twitter, YouTube, Etc.), and then hopefully it can also become a word of mouth type of thing. That's why I'm not gonna sell it, for even a dollar, who the fuck wants to buy Music from someone they have no clue about? They might hate the mixtape, why pay even a dollar? But being free, there's no risk, don't like it? Whatever, you wasted some time listening to it. Love it? Fantastic, you just got some great free Music. It's a win/win. 99% of people won't just refuse free shit. Building a local audience is the best way to get shows. Or even leaving copies at Guitar Center or some shit, I always see band's demos there, free to take home.

Anyways, point is, I've relied solely on Facebook/SoundCloud, simply 'cause I HAD to, for the time being. But once my mixtape is out, it's time to physically promote like a motherfucker. There's been so many times where I've been on a train, ended up talking to someone, got on the subject of me being a Rapper, "Oh, where can I hear some shit?", and then I'd have to be annoying and ask for a pen and paper, to write down the Facebook and SoundCloud links, and out of all the times that happened, only one eventually checked it out and liked the page. This relates to what you said about that Rapper giving out his Facebook link on stage.

Basically, it has to be somewhere in the middle with internet and physical promotion, but an equal amount of effort needs to be put into both. That's why I'm releasing The Pilot both digitally and physically.

But anyways, I know that, and it's a learning process as I go along. It's also part of why I started making my shit more catchy, spending so much time on hooks, making sure they're catchy as possible. Why? 'Cause A: I think to myself, what keeps me coming back to all these songs I listen to over and over again over everything else? Catchiness. It's why I'm so addicted to XO, every song, every lyric, just gets burned into my head and is instantly catchy, nigga's a mastermind with melodies. B: Catchiness sells. A song doesn't have to be catchy to be good, for instance, love shit like Immortal Technique's Dance With The Devil, I feel it's one of the best songs ever made, but it's not catchy at all, and he's successful as an independent artist, but he never made any MAJOR major sales. And C: Making it catchy is making the Music I like. A lot of these hooks are so catchy that I can't stop listening to myself.

But that's just one aspect of it, image, promotion, so many things, all go into it.

And fosho, I know, I'm extremely confident in this mixtape, and I know, that if I push it right, I can finally gain a bigger local audience, get some shows, start building up. Im'ma be on 24/7 hustle mode and be like a crack dealer with this mixtape. The hard work ain't even gonna be the creation of the Music, compared to what I'm gonna do with it after it drops. That's part of why I haven't pushed too hard for shows. I don't wanna hit up a venue like "Yea, uh, go to my Soundcloud and listen. >Insert Link Here.<", that's unprofessional as fuck, but Im'ma be working my ass off for shows after I drop this, 'cause then I can send an official full release to venues and shit, and do it how it's 'sposed to be done.</p>
    I wouldn't have ever called what I did "hating," I was much more on the side of fuckin' around. I hope no one can actually get me to hate on something on the internet.

It's not necessarily your music that needs to be marketable, either. Lil Wayne is bailed out in the rap game because nigga rhymes with nigga, that's hard as shit to claim as good, but what you need is a brand. People recognize marketable people, and in order to succeed, that's what you need to be.
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    d00d its not a Pilot.. itsa demo... idiot.... Pilot is the term for TV Shows

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

That's probably what he's just calling it.
  • Beforethedawn206Beforethedawn206 Posts: 267 just the tip
    I am suprised you listened to me Erik. >:)
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Catz you are fucking brain dead.
    I am suprised you listened to me Erik. >:)

.......Wut?
    Yuuuuup.

And fosho, I know, I'm extremely confident in this mixtape, and I know, that if I push it right, I can finally gain a bigger local audience, get some shows, start building up. Im'ma be on 24/7 hustle mode and be like a crack dealer with this mixtape. The hard work ain't even gonna be the creation of the Music, compared to what I'm gonna do with it after it drops. That's part of why I haven't pushed too hard for shows. I don't wanna hit up a venue like "Yea, uh, go to my Soundcloud and listen. >Insert Link Here.<", that's unprofessional as fuck, but Im'ma be working my ass off for shows after I drop this, 'cause then I can send an official full release to venues and shit, and do it how it's 'sposed to be done.</p>
    I wouldn't have ever called what I did "hating," I was much more on the side of fuckin' around. I hope no one can actually get me to hate on something on the internet.

It's not necessarily your music that needs to be marketable, either. Lil Wayne is bailed out in the rap game because nigga rhymes with nigga, that's hard as shit to claim as good, but what you need is a brand. People recognize marketable people, and in order to succeed, that's what you need to be.

And this I know, which is why I said image plays a huge role, but it's something I gotta learn and figure out along the way.
    Don't even know why I'm wasting my time, but Catz:

My name is EPISODE 95, the first EPISODE/premiere EPISODE of a TV Show is called the pilot EPISODE. This is EPISODE's first release ever, my premier release.

Jesus Christ, you must be a FANTASTIC author with your books, if you don't even get a simple ass metaphor like that.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    dead