Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    edited July 2012
    Tidal Wave Festival 2012

Me and my bros Alex and Ben got up early to make the trek to San Francisco to attend the 13th Tidal Wave Festival, a free metal concert for all to enjoy. We got there a little before 11, when the Facebook page said it was to start. Turns out it didn't start 'til half past the hour, so we chilled on the hill/lawn area of the amphitheater. Not too long after, my friend and fellow metalsetlsits poster Lincoln showed up. We greeted each other, talked and shared some laughs before the first band started.

First band was DC3. There isn't much I can say about these no-names. They're pretty much the definition of cheesy, mediocre rock band. Their songs were mehtastic and for some weird reason, they had an operatic female vocalist for two songs. All she did was sing in the choruses and her mic was inaudible anyways. The only response they got from the crowd was a half ass cover of War Pigs. I look forward to not having to hear from these guys for the rest of forever

After checking out some merch booths, the next band, Beercraft, came on. I looked 'em up on last.fm and they sounded like a shitty "folk" metal band that was as obsessed with beer and bands like Korpiklaani are with all forms of alcohol. While it the latter turned out to be true, they weren't shitty folk metal. They were actually a black metal band with some folk influences. They were actually fairly decent. I enjoyed what I heard. Black metal was definitely a nice pallet cleanser after the first band.

After grabbing some grub at a taco truck in the parking lot, Haunted by Heroes were on. These guys actually got a fairly good response and I think it's safe to say they drew a good amount of the crowd in. They were the first band to actually get people out of the seats/lawn and into the GA area. HxH are "the worlds youngest rock band", aka a bunch of privileged thirteen year olds who took interest in rock music. They weren't really all that bad. They played decent rock and were energetic. The guitarist, while only using the Kirk Hammet scale, played decent solos and the drummer, while over indulgent in the double bass pedal, performed a cool drum solo. Their set got cut because of some technical issues or something and the band got real buttmad.

Next was DH Peligro's band, Peligro. DH uses this band to take a break from the drums and serves as this band's guitar player. They're a crossover/thrash band and they sounded good. The mix was pretty good and I could hear everything pretty well. I was surprised that nobody got into the GA area for them, because their music was fairly energetic and definitely mosh material. Lincoln got their setlist and gave it to me, but I don't really think anybody cares about it, so I'll just not waste the space to post it.

Next was the first band of the day I actually gave a rat's ass about, Gravehill. Gravehill are a black/death metal band from LA. Matt Harvey is in the band but I guess was too busy doing something else to play this show. I was slightly disappointed these guys weren't rockin' their usual stage get-up, but they still had their little blood ceremony before hand, so that was cool. Gravehill marked the first band with mosh pits going on, which I jumped in on for the first song. I don't usually like pits, but when they're small and/or ska pits, I jump in the fun. Gravehill actually had a pretty good sound from the pit area. I could hear most everything pretty clearly. The guitarist they had with them was really good and his solos were scrumptious. Overall really fun band to see.

Unholy Executioner
    Devil Worshipper
    Rites of the Pentagram
    Black Blood Rising
    Suffer No Man to Live
    Ravager
    Decibel Ritual

Next was the band I was looking most forward to, Slough Feg. I was impressed with them. Although the mix was pretty bad, and I couldn't hear Scalzi's vocals most the time, they put on a really good set. Scalzi is a hell of a guitar player and is a really fun front man. He got up in the crowd and was having fun, albeit complaining about being awake at that hour. Some fun things to note about their set were; Scalzi changed hit outfit two times during the set and each time marked a time he'd not play guitar and just sing which meant I could actually hear his vocals and a drunk guy got on stage about three times to dance :)). While the sound wasn't perfect, The Lord Weird Slough Feg put on an entertaining set full of stage antics and more importantly, kick ass trad metal.

Death Machine
    The 95 Thesis
    Highlander
    Ape Uprising
    Diamonds & Rust (cover)
    The Final Gambit
    Lycanthropic Fantasies
    Traders and Gunboats

Next up was the band most people were at Tidal Wave to see, Ghoul! The Creepsylvanians kicked off their set with some Transmission Zero, and thrash their way through the rest of their set. Again, the mix wasn't too great, so when stage right took solos, I couldn't really hear 'em and I could only hear one of the microphones during song. Ghoul were really fun, with all their hilarious stage banter and bloody shenanigans. Luckily for me Lincoln won a raffle earlier and with t hat came a free Thrasher hoodie that was too big for him so he gave it to me, which was the least he could do since I supplied him with a dollar he didn't have for the raffle ticket, so I just got that thing blood soaked and gut drenched. This was the band the crowd was craziest for. People were moshing their asses off, at this point some were being those obnoxious moshers who just run into the front row of people for no reason and there were stage divers. Some people who attempted to stage dive were stopped by security, but most who wanted to got away with it. All in all, Ghoul was really fun. Definitely a good live band to see.

The Lunatic Hour
    Off With Their Heads
    Splatterthrash
    The Mark of Voodoo
    Brain Jerk
    Blood Feast
    Bury the Hatchet
    Transmission Zero
    Rise, Killbot, Rise!
    Destructor
    Gutbucket Blues

As Your Casket Closes

First Tidal Wave was a success. Hopefully next year has some other bay area gems like Grayceon, because I'll finally be able to see them at a venue that isn't 21+.

DC3: 3/10
    Beercraft:7/10
    Haunted By Heroes: 6/10
    Peligro:6.5/10
    Gravehill:8/10
    Slough Feg: 8.5/10
    Ghoul: 8.5/10

PS: When I took a shower this morning and put my hair under the water stream, there was a solid stream of red dye washing off my hair for a solid half minute.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    edited July 2012
    as i lay dying was cool, wish they would have played longer. Caught a drumstick! 9/10 can't wait to see them tomorrow

set:
    condemned
    94 hours
    anodyne sea
    an ocean between us
    through struggle
    cateriuzed
    upside down kingdom (wasn't expecting this \m/ )
    paralyzed
    forever
    the darkest nights
    the sound of truth
    seperation
    nothing left
    confined

might be forgetting a song
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    wish they would have played longer.

set:
    condemned
    94 hours
    anodyne sea
    an ocean between us
    through struggle
    cateriuzed
    upside down kingdom (wasn't expecting this \m/ )
    paralyzed
    forever
    the darkest nights
    the sound of truth
    seperation
    nothing left
    confined

>wishes they played longer
    >rest over tour gets 7 songs at most
    >bastard.
    inb4lists
    they only played for like an hour and ten minutes
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Also nice AILD set.
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    They need to play the darkest nights and paralyzed at mayhem.
    i wish they would have played losing sight! me and my friend were yelling for it and tim looked at us every time, shoulda played it [-(
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    I went to an Unearth headlining show in June and they played 45 mins- 1 hour. I was confused as hell.
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Twice as long a set as we got [-(
    inb4lists
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Nice, thorough review you had there Slap. Sounds like a killer time.
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer

Next was the band I was looking most forward to, Slough Feg. I was impressed with them. Although the mix was pretty bad, and I couldn't hear Scalzi's vocals most the time, they put on a really good set. Scalzi is a hell of a guitar player and is a really fun front man. He got up in the crowd and was having fun, albeit complaining about being awake at that hour. Some fun things to note about their set were; Scalzi changed hit outfit two times during the set and each time marked a time he'd not play guitar and just sing which meant I could actually hear his vocals and a drunk guy got on stage about three times to dance :)). While the sound wasn't perfect, The Lord Weird Slough Feg put on an entertaining set full of stage antics and more importantly, kick ass trad metal.
    I was able to hear the vocals. :-??

Dancing guy at 14:26 - 14:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-qJ8UlEq7U
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited July 2012
    Quick CIM review (like anyone will read this)

Bands I saw at Day 1:

Putrid Pile - Awesome, kinda crappy mix though

Arkaik - Sounded pretty good, then when they only had time for one more their faggot guitarist went on the mic like "hey, the guy before us got an encore and WE actually have a drummer" so I left. PP has played every CIM and they're a forgettable brutal tech death band

Gorgasm - Yes

Massacre - Good shit. Met Rick Rozz outside, gave out a handful of Massacre 20th anniversary picks. Wish they would've played longer

Monstrosity - Awesome but there was no one there for them and their set dragged at 2 in the morning

Bands I saw at Day 2:

Sexual Atrocities: Awesome brutal death/goregrind band from Milwaukee. One of the best sets of the fest

Uncleansed - Really fucking good. New vocalist was great and drummer has a really cool style

Cardiac Arrest - Good shit, first time seeing them

Dehumanized - Fuck yes. Crowd wanted an encore but venue wouldn't let em

Funerus - Almost fell asleep

Severed Savior - Best set of the fest and probably one of the best sets I've ever seen. Did an awesome cover of my favorite Suffocation song Thrones Of Blood

Disgorge - Ridiculous

Solstice - Really good but weird after Disgorge

Awesome weekend, awesome time partying with Adam and the rest of the Chi town crew
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy

I was able to hear the vocals. :-??

Dancing guy at 14:26 - 14:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-qJ8UlEq7U

Perhaps it's because I was right by the guitar amps and you were a bit further away.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Damn Slough Feg rules. Sucks they dont get a better crowd reaction.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    cant get into the vox
    Mayhem was awesome. Slipknot destroyed best set Ive ever seen no doubt. Threw sid in the air during jump the fuck up. I caught the red as I lay dying drumstick and I caught the blue one last night so thats awesome \m/ and got a kerry king and frank bello pick!
  • sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner

Mayhem was awesome. Slipknot destroyed best set Ive ever seen no doubt. Threw sid in the air during jump the fuck up. I caught the red as I lay dying drumstick and I caught the blue one last night so thats awesome \m/ and got a kerry king and frank bello pick!

They played Jumdafuckup???? Or did you mean during Spit it Out?
    During spit it out
  • BlindGuardian93BlindGuardian93 Posts: 4,988 jayfacer
    Corey signed by himself or with the others?
    I've been lost in endless seas My heart died long ago I curse my failures as I fall from you