Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Indefinite detention of US citizens without charge or trial is now a reality

124»

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    that isn't true. research it properly.

oh and nice job ignoring all the other nice things he got added into healthcare, such as children being able to stay on their parents insurance until they're 26 without having to worry about being a full time student or living with them.
    Im not ignoring small little nice things, I am concentrating on the main fucking problem. I think it will be nice when you have to grow up and learn how fucked our medical system is. Let me give you a real life personal example

I pay 4k a year for medical insurance for my family, and my employer matches like 6k. That is just the premiums. I have Blue Cross PPO which is widely regarded as the best national insurance plan. I have to pay 25 dollars every time I go to the doctor (fine with this) and if I have anything above the normal routine then I have to come up with 20% of the expense... I think.

Anyways, so my wife decided she wanted to try the monthly Shot Birth Control. She goes in, pays the 25 dollar copay. Doctors office bills insurance 300 dollars. Insurance kicks it back. dr's office bills again, insurance denies it. doctors office submits one more time, and insurance finally says it isnt covered. We call insurance and they say since she can get the pill, they dont cover the shot. I called doctors office and was like "is there anything you can do for me" and they say "sorry, no. Next time though say you dont have insurance and we will charge you the non insurance rate which is considerably cheaper. They did knock down the bill to 200 dollars for me. So out of pocket I paid 225 dollars. The next month my wife goes in, tells them she wants the no insurance rate and her entire visit was billed for 30 dollars!!! THIRTY FUCKING DOLLARS!

System is fucking BROKEN. and if you dont understand how fucked up the medical system is, you are ignorant, or stupid.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I read this other dudes story a while ago... I can't remember what happened to him but lets just say he had a broken leg for the sake of this story. So this dude has Insurance, and he breaks his leg. He has to go into the doctors, and they give him some pain prescription, and take care of his leg. He is given a 800 dollars bill which was like 20% of the total cost. (it could have been 600, or 1000.... I dont remember exactly. It was just a good chunk of change). He pays it because what can he do?

A few years later he is over in Japan, and is involved in an accident and breaks his leg in the exact same spot. He goes to the doctors and they say "Unfortunately we can not accept your insurance here, and since you arent a citizen you are going to have to pay the non-insurance rate." He basically had no choice so was like yeah, do what you have too.... Anyways, they get him all ready to go and hand him his bill. It was something like 38.50. There are countless stories like this

It is fucked up when 20% that insurance doenst cover is 10 times more then the total cost of the operation in other countries. And it isnt that medical procedures costs 2000 times more here, they dont. But to account for legal expenses and the bartering game that doctors need to pay with insurance, doctors have incentive to charged 100x more then what the cost should be, and then insurance companies try and prove their value by getting the 100x marked up service brought down 10%, and they make their money by robbing people of their premiums. The whole system is completely fucked up.

Did Obama fix that? Everyone knows that is the problem. NO. He made it so EVERYONE must have scam insurance. He made the problem WORSE.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    Congress needs to break the For-Profit healthcare system. will never happen though cuz Drug Companies own politicians
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    edited January 2012
    the worst thing about a for-profit healthcare system is that it gives pharm companies more incentive to push drugs on you that will make you sicker, continueing the cycle. kinda like a mechanic that unscrews some shit while he's fixing something so you'll be in next month to repair what he unscrewed.