Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why are we killing Troy Davis?

HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited September 2011 in Off Topic
I have sincere sympathy for the family of Officer Mark MacPhail, but no kind of justice is served by executing Troy Davis

Photobucket

Unless something God-like and miraculous happens, Troy Davis, 42, is going to be executed tomorrow, Wednesday 21 September 2011, at 7pm, by lethal injection at a state prison in Jackson, Georgia.

Let me say up front I feel great sorrow for the family of Mark MacPhail, the police officer who was shot and murdered on 19 August 1989. I cannot imagine the profound pain they've shouldered for 22 angst-filled years, hoping, waiting and praying for some semblance of justice. Officer MacPhail will never come back to life, his wife, his two children, and his mother will never see him again. Under that sort of emotional and spiritual duress, I can imagine why they are convinced Troy Davis is the murderer of their beloved son, husband and father.

But, likewise, I feel great sorrow for Troy Davis and his family. I don't know if Davis murdered Officer MacPhail or not. What I do know is that there is no DNA evidence linking him to the crime, that seven of nine witnesses have either recanted or contradicted their original testimonies tying him to the act, and that a gentleman named Sylvester "Redd" Coles has been identified by several witnesses as the actual triggerman. But no real case against Coles has ever been pursued.

So, a man is going to be executed, murdered, in fact, under a dark cloud of doubt in a nation, ours, that has come to practice executions as effortlessly as we breath.

Be it Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry, governor of Texas, and the 234 executions that have occurred under his watch (that fact was cheered loudly at a recent Republican debate), or the 152 executions when George W Bush was governor of that state, we are a nation of an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life. Spiralling so far out of control that we are going to execute someone who may actually be innocent tomorrow.

I say "we" because the blood of Officer MacPhail and Troy Davis will be on the hands of us all. We Americans who fail to use our individual and collective voices to deal with the ugliness in our society that leads to violence in the first place, be they for economic crimes or because some of us have simply been driven mad by the pressures of trying to exist in a world that often marginalises or rejects us. Thus our solution for many problems often becomes force, or violence. But it has long since been proven that the death penalty or capital punishment is not a deterrent, contrary to some folks' beliefs. Murders continue to happen every single day in America, as commonplace as apple pie, football and Ford trucks.

I also say "we" because it is startling to me that Troy Davis could be on death row for 20 years, have his guilt be under tremendous doubt, yet save a few dedicated souls and organisations, there has not been a mass movement of support to save his life, to end the death penalty, not by well-meaning black folks, not by well-meaning white folks, not by well-meaning folks of any stripe, and certainly not by influential black folks who represent the corridors of power in places like Atlanta, with the exception of, say, Congressman John Lewis.

You wonder what the outcome of the parole board decision would have been if black churches in Atlanta and other parts of Georgia, for example, had joined this cause to end the death penalty in America years back; if black leaders had launched a sustained action much in the way their religious and spiritual foremothers and forefathers had done two generations before?

What could have been different if more Georgia ministers had the courage of Atlanta's Rev Dr Raphael Gamaliel Warnock, pastor of the famed Ebenezer Baptist Church once helmed by Dr King? Dr Warnock has been steadfast and outspoken, yet seemingly out there alone in his support of Troy Davis. I mean if there is ever a time for black churches to practise a relevant ministry, as Dr King once urged, is it not when a seeming injustice like the Troy Davis matter is right in front of our faces? When so many black males are locked up in America's prisons? What is the point, really, of having a "men's ministry" at your church if it is not addressing one of the major problems of the 21st century, that of the black male behind bars? Especially in a society, America, that incarcerates more people than any other nation on earth.

And you wonder how the five-person Georgia state board of pardons and parole that, paradoxically, includes two black males, including the head of the board, must feel. Had it not been for past legal injustices, like the Scottsboro Boys case of the 1930s or the vicious killing of Emmett Till in the 1950s, there would not have been a Civil Rights movement, nor the placement of blacks in positions to balance the scales of justice, like that Georgia parole board. While I certainly do not think any black person should get a pass just because they are black, I do think, if you are an aware black man, somewhere in your psyche has to be some residual memory of black males being lynched in America, of black male after black male being sent to jail, or given the death penalty, under often flimsy charges and evidence. If there is a reasonable doubt, keep the case open until there is ultimate certainty.

Finally, incredibly ironic and tragic that this is happening while our first black president is sitting in the White House. We, America, like to pat ourselves on the back and say job well done whenever there is a shred of racial or social progress in our fair nation. But then we habitually figure out ways to take one, two, several steps back, with this Troy Davis execution, with the rise of the Tea Party and its thinly-veiled racial paranoia politics, to push America right back to the good old says of segregation, Jim Crow, brute hatred of those who are different, while social inequalities run rampant like rats in the night.

And if you think Troy Davis's cause celebre has nothing to do with Jim Crow, then either you've not been to an American prison lately, or you simply are blind. I've been to many, across our country, and they are filled to the brim with mostly black and Latino males (and some poor white males), including the majority of folks sitting on death row.

For sure, given my background of poverty, a single mother, an absent father, and violence and great economic despair in my childhood and teen years, but for the grace of God, I could be one of those young black or Latino males languishing in jail at this very moment. I could be, indeed, Troy Davis.

So I cannot simply view the Troy Davis case and execution as solely about the killing of Officer MacPhail. Yes, an injustice was done, a killing occurred, and I pray the truth really comes out one day. But I am just as concerned about America's soul, of the morality tales we are text-messaging to ourselves, to the world, as we move Troy Davis from his cell one last time, to that room where a needle will blast death into his veins, suck the air from his throat, snatch life from his eyes.

As the family of Troy Davis and the family of Officer MacPhail converge, one final time, to witness a death in progress, now two men will be dead: Officer MacPhail and Troy Davis, linked, forever, by the misfortune of our confusion, stereotypes, finger-pointing and history of passing judgment without having every shred of the facts. I am Officer MacPhail, I am Troy Davis, and so are you. And you. And you, too.

And as my mother would say, have mercy on us all, Lawd, for we know not what we do.

Comments

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    this story is inescapable around here today
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    its kind of fucked up that in 7hrs theyre gonna kill this dude and 7 out of 9 witnesses say their testimony was false because they were being pressured by police. at least do some investigating.... does he have to be put to death tonight?
  • monicaamonicaa Posts: 7,109 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • Bottle_TreeBottle_Tree Posts: 7,166 just the tip
    And then a few years after this, they're going to prove he was totally innocent, and be like "HOW COULD WE HAVE MADE THIS HORRIBLE MISTAKE?"

:-<
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 10,361 balls deep
    its cuz hes a negro >:)
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
    they should be careful. some of the blacks around here are threatening to riot
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    damn.... that could really snowball like the London riots
    I have mixed feelings about this. I'm always against violence, and think peace always triumphs, but I don't know about this. I guess either way won't save the guy, and may hurt people in the process causing it to be a completely lost cause, but damn.
    i think the general opinion on the situation here in atlanta was that he would get clemency before it got to this point since people like the pope and the head of the f.b.i. have endorsed davis. now that they're really going to kill him...shit might hit the fan.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    only 2 people could save him now, the governor and obama. Even commuting his sentence, not a real pardon, would cause a political shitstorm for obama, with a slew of racism following suit saying he only did it cause the man was black
    it might be worth it though.

no good can come of this
    an innocent mans life > shitstorm
    edited September 2011
    it doesn't work that way in politics
    unfortunately.
    just read that the naacp is calling for obama to pardon him, so hes pretty much fucked right now. hes gonna take heat over any action he takes or lack thereof
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    tell that to the politicians
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    Shit is going to go down

just read that the naacp is calling for obama to pardon him, so hes pretty much fucked right now. hes gonna take heat over any action he takes or lack thereof
    I don't understand why they're getting the president involved. I have mixed feelings about this too. Obama doesn't have any power over this decision, just like what happened with Bush and the Terry Schiavo case. I was outraged when the government got involved in that, but then again this is a different scenario where a man's life is at stake, not a brain dead shell of a human being.

I just don't think Obama can do anything about it, no matter how opposed he is.
    I don't understand why they're getting the president involved. I have mixed feelings about this too. Obama doesn't have any power over this decision, just like what happened with Bush and the Terry Schiavo case. I was outraged when the government got involved in that, but then again this is a different scenario where a man's life is at stake, not a brain dead shell of a human being.

I just don't think Obama can do anything about it, no matter how opposed he is.
    the outrage over shivo was congress called an emergency session over 1 person
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    In the four 1/2 years that I worked the Illinois Prison System, 2 men were exonerated by DNA evidence, and walked out of Stateville Correctional Center, and on my shift. I watched them walk out, past Gate 5, and I nodded and said 'best of luck'.....they ended up suing IL for 1 million dollars for every year spent behind bars (17). If IL hadn't abolished the death penalty, these guys would probably been executed within the last 8 years. i am in no way soft on crime, but I doubt the modern American Justice System. Hundreds locked up at my institution for nonviolent drug offenses....