Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

FUCK. THIS. SHIT.

1235»

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    everythingineedtoknowaboutpoliticsilearnedfromRageAgainstTheMachine
    \m/
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    everythingineedtoknowaboutpoliticsilearnedfromRageAgainstTheMachine
    \m/
    :)>-
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Weapons not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal
    I walk the corner to the rubble that used to be a library line
    up to the mind cemetery now
    What we don't know keeps the contracts alive an movin
    They don't gotta burn the books they just remove em
    While arms warehouses fill as quick as the cells
    They rally round the family with pockets full of shells
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    edited August 2011
    the problem is...the north had no right to force the south to stay in the union. that's the bottom line.
    do you really think the world would be a better place if the south won?

RIGHTS? surely you jest.....No country has any rights to do anything, other than whatever 'rights' it bestows itself at any time....USA had no right to invade or bomb a third of the Middle East, but we did....
    *sigh*

no...i don't think it would be better if the south "won". i'm just pointing out the relatively obvious fact that nothing in the original outline of the country forces states to include themselves in the union. in the beginning, we only combined to keep a military force together in order to defend ourselves and have a common currency. the united states became a completely different animal after the war. if a state attempted to leave the union now, it would have to set up an entirely different government that is not already existent. in the beginning, all states were already set up that way. states were their own individual entities for the most part. that's not the case now.

basically, it would be very similar to what would happen if the lower half of the european union broke off and the top part declared war over it...in about 40 years.

if you look at things from a strictly financial aspect, the north needed southern materials and crops and needed the south to buy their shit. the south was importing goods from other countries for cheaper than the north wanted to sell, so the north jacked up the tariffs on foreign imports. that's the root of the war. they just use the abolition of slavery as the feelgood story that lionized the union.

• sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
    This thread reminds me, I saw some redneck window sticker today that had this acronym:

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    This thread reminds me, I saw some redneck window sticker today that had this acronym:

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America
    it was probably right underneath a confederate flag sticker lol
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America
    It was.
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America
    It was.
    :))
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    i've met retards down here who think the south won, i shit you not
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i've met retards down here who think the south won, i shit you not
    :-)) well, on the bright side that must be pretty entertaining if you ask them why they think that lol.

speaking of the confederate, supposedly theres confederate treasure scattered throughout the south and was protected by the KGC or whatever. i saw it on brad meltzer's Decoded on the history channel. some guy has actually found some of it.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    won the war, or was allowed to succeed from the union with no civil war? I do believe slavery was at an end in North America, with or without the war.

no...i don't think it would be better if the south "won". i'm just pointing out the relatively obvious fact that nothing in the original outline of the country forces states to include themselves in the union. in the beginning, we only combined to keep a military force together in order to defend ourselves and have a common currency. the united states became a completely different animal after the war. if a state attempted to leave the union now, it would have to set up an entirely different government that is not already existent. in the beginning, all states were already set up that way. states were their own individual entities for the most part. that's not the case now.

basically, it would be very similar to what would happen if the lower half of the european union broke off and the top part declared war over it...in about 40 years.

if you look at things from a strictly financial aspect, the north needed southern materials and crops and needed the south to buy their shit. the south was importing goods from other countries for cheaper than the north wanted to sell, so the north jacked up the tariffs on foreign imports. that's the root of the war. they just use the abolition of slavery as the feelgood story that lionized the union.

=D>
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    won the war, or was allowed to succeed from the union with no civil war? I do believe slavery was at an end in North America, with or without the war.
    if the south succeeded in its succession and was recognized as a country with or without the war
    edited August 2011
    if the south succeeded in its succession and was recognized as a country without the a civil war
    Yes. My educated hypothetical guess in that situation is that we would be a better place. There are two different parts to my theorizing....

1. Slavery was on a global scale becoming very repugnant. Although the southern framers "needed" the cheap labor for their cotton fields, the cotton industry was tanking. Within a decade all cotton farmers would have been out of business, and their archaic slavery practices would be quickly abolished by the southern societies. The anti-slavery movement was in full swing (even in the south) and the few wealthy cotton growers would be helpless to stop it. Not only do I believe slavery would have been abolished in the south, but I believe that if the people were allowed to make their own choices as a society, then the people would be more supportive of embracing that change. Instead I believe we have centuries of built up rage over the deaths of that war and the slavery choice being stripped from them.

2. The industrial north was in full swing, and was growing up to be the global powerhouse we are as a nation today. The south had little to nothing to do with the dominate world power we have become... Not invading the south would have :

A. Reaffirmed the states right to leave the union, strengthening the governments original intention that the states governed its own people and the states came together to form a union for protection and common currency.
    B. The south would have been in financial ruin and would have come begging back within a few decades. Would we have allowed them back in the union?