Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Important, Please Read (NSFW)

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    is changing colors schemes really something you would have to pay for?
    it doesnt cost vanilla money dayna, its there company....
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i didnt know he worked for vanilla. honestly I dont even think vanilla code is all that great of a message board. SMF is probably better. there are other free open source boards too.
    edited April 2011
    im no computer expert but if vanilla writes in the code for quotes and shit then they arent going to charge themselves for doing it...
    tim works for vanilla
    vanilla gives permission to tim to put those features on out site
    where is money involved?
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    its all digital, it don't cost them shit to add what we had
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "im no computer expert but if vanilla writes in the code for quotes and shit then they arent going to charge themselves for doing it... "

I agree with that. But if hes not coming here anymore why give us that luxury?
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
    "im no computer expert but if vanilla writes in the code for quotes and shit then they arent going to charge themselves for doing it... "

I agree with that. But if hes not coming here anymore why give us that luxury?

i know, all im saying is that its not like tim payed for it, he works for vanilla
    its all digital, it don't cost them shit to add what we had

exactly
    i may not work for vanilla but im pretty sure vanilla doesnt charge itself for using its own features lol.
    its basic web design.
    Okay. so check this out... I just read up on Vanilla Forums. It is free, open-source. All the addons that were disabled are very easy to implement, and they are free.

Vanilla makes money by getting people to pay them for support. People pay for support because they themselves can not read the code. I can read the code, so I'd never pay for support.

So from all I could see.... If Tim ever claimed it was coming out of his pocket (and Im not claiming that, but it seems that dyna is) then what he meant is that he is using his free time to install the free plugin and activate it. When he left, he didnt have to deactivate all the free plugins he did.
    I could very easily set up my own vanilla message board that is exactly like this one.
    wake, tim works for vanilla. he isnt going to get charged by vanilla for putting features on our site, thats crazy. i fully understand tho that if it wasnt for tim we would be paying for those features since vanilla is a business
    so wake are you saying you could turn all that shit back on?
    edited April 2011
    "So from all I could see.... If Tim ever claimed it was coming out of his pocket (and Im not claiming that, but it seems that dyna is) then what he meant is that he is using his free time to install the free plugin and activate it. When he left, he didnt have to deactivate all the free plugins he did."

Tada!
    "no. it charges the customers (forums) who want them and use them. we are not paying so therefore the bill is on vanilla. "

No it charges some customers (forum admins) for support in adding plugins and shit like that. Basically what Tim did for this site is what he probably does for other sites, but the owner of the other sites pay him. It appears that the site owner (Mike I think) did not pay Tim because they were friends. Tim was installing plugins because he was a nice guy. It didnt cost him a cent and he probably didnt even write the plugin. He just copied the code to the correct place, and enabled the feature.
  • TimTim Posts: 2,441 admin
    Sorry for probably Will'ing through 20 posts or so.
    there are some who call me... tim?
  • TimTim Posts: 2,441 admin
    I was told there was some confusion about the exact nature of my involvement and support for these forums, so it was suggested that I stop by and clarify that for you.

Firstly, the forums initially lived on our single, primary server under the Free plan. http://vanillaforums.com/compare

Once I became involved, I essentially put the forum on its own custom plan that doesn't fit into that list. Any feature that we offered as a company was available to Mike, through me.

The direct 'cost' to Vanilla for this was in two specific places:
    1) Network and hardware resources - the traffic you guys generate, the file space your uploads take up (an EXCESSIVE amount, for your information)
    2) My time

The direct 'benefit' to Vanilla for this was in two places as well:
    1) A testing ground for new features
    2) A use-case of an active forum, to see how people in this kind of community behave, and what features they like

Now, as we gained other, bigger customers, those two benefits became less and less relevant, but at the same time I grew more and more attached to the forum personally. I've said it to people before - I enjoyed being here. So my involvement and the level of service I provided steadily increased.

I moved your forum off our primary server onto a new system with much more 'beef' and far less other customers. I updated your code to our latest versions constantly, giving Mike and the other mods new tools and features that noone else has, even paid customers. I also added monitoring to these forums specifically so that I would be aware of downtime and Service Level changes and would be able to fix them.

Only one other customer has this level of service from us right now - Penny Arcade. Perhaps you've heard of them. They pay us an amount of money that I cannot reveal, but it is higher than any of the amounts listed on the Compare Plans page.

Thats what you were getting. Hope that clears it up for you.
    there are some who call me... tim?
    if wake were to set up all that shit then we simply migrated, how would it be starting from scratch?