Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Anyone Here Play Instruments?

Comments

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Holy fuck I didn't know they put Obfuscation on Rock Band. I need to get that, that's such a fun looking chart.

And FaceFuck, how long you been playing? You're probably better than me, lolz.
    I first started about 6 years ago, but i didn't get really serious about it until i got my set almost 3 years ago, how long have you been playing and do you have a set?
    inb4lists
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Guitar, bass guitar, violin, cello, viola. I'm not all that good at guitar imho. I am fairly decent with violin/viola/cello.
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    I wanna learn to play the drums and guitar.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    I wanna learn to play the drums and guitar.
    I should have learned to play the guitar, I should have learned to play them drums, maybe get a blister on your little finger, maybe get a blister on your thumb.
    I have a video of me playing drums, but the upload isn't working right now, meh.
    inb4lists
    Derp
    inb4lists
  • MyosesMyoses Posts: 1,244 juggalo
    Violin since 5th grade
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Bumping. Very cool thread. Interesting to see everyone's musical backgrounds, influences, etc.

I have been playing:

Guitar (Primary Instrument): Almost 6 years. I've taken lessons for the last 18 months or so, but prior I was self taught and did the bs with only reading tabs and taking little time to learn actual theory/technique.

Piano/Keyboard: Have been playing about 3 years. Don't play as much as I did for the first year but still have some of the skill. Learning piano was what made me want to take guitar lesson and it also got me much more interested in music theory.

Bass: Started playing in April of this year and caught on really quick, right hand technique and all.

I want to learn drums eventually. I was given a harmonica and can half assed play things here and there. I took a music theory class in college as an elective. Anything else, strike a convo with me.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    By bass, do you mean on electric bass, or a double bass?
    Electric bass. Bought a cheap Dean to get me started and see where I can go with it.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Ok. So by right hand technique, I'm assuming you mean playing with your fingers as opposed to a pick.
    Ok. So by right hand technique, I'm assuming you mean playing with your fingers as opposed to a pick.
    Precisely. Wasn't as foreign as I anticipated.
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    I tried starting an Avant-Garde band.

It is so damn hard to find people talented enough to play in artistically fueled band.
    Judging by how pretentious you sound, the band wouldn't have gone too well.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy

It is so damn hard to find people talented enough to play in artistically fueled band.
    wow. that's rude. if i were to start a band with anyone on this site, i'd start with him, slap and facefuck just because they seem ambitious.
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo

wow. that's rude. if i were to start a band with anyone on this site, i'd start with him, slap and facefuck just because they seem ambitious.
    I guess rude, but I don't like when people talk about their music like it's fine art. Sure, it could be, but you sound like a jerk.
    I also don't like when people describe themselves as artists.
    i started playing drums when i was 5 and they were my primary instrument until i was a 7th grader. i then started picking up guitar, but my hands are too big, so i quickly switched to bass. when i was in high school, i was in a cannibal corpse worship band called disembowel. egos killed that and i joined another, more diverse brutal death band called narcolepsy. by the time i was 20, i had started to sour on playing with bands because every single guitarist i ever played with was a narcissistic douche who thought they were better than they really were. i started djing at raves. i still played in a fusion band called earthquake, but i drank my way out after 2 shows. my last bass player hurrah was trying out for dying fetus in 2000. that didn't work out and i was on a lot of drugs at the time, so i dropped the instrument for a while. from there, i got into a lot of hip hop and started doing dj competitions. electronics kinda killed that underground and i started getting more into film more than music. that was about 2003. the more i got into film, the less music i did. for fun, i played in a goregrind band called infant cleansing in '04-'05. that was more for shits-n-giggles though and our guitarist moved to california...so that ended. here recently, i've been playing bass with a stoner-doom type group, but nothing serious. i've been teaching my son more than anything lately. this past christmas i bought him a guitar, drum, drum machine, recorder, tamborine, 2 different keyboards and a little microphone/amp combo. he turned 2 a couple of weeks ago, and he likes to improvise his own songs, which he plays guitar and sings simultaneously. it's pretty sveet.

I guess rude, but I don't like when people talk about their music like it's fine art. Sure, it could be, but you sound like a jerk.
    I also don't like when people describe themselves as artists.
    he's right about trying to start avant-garde bands though. everyone just wants to play an established genre. that's boring when you want something more. when i hear bands like primus or mr. bungle, i wonder how the fuck they found each other.

i've been teaching my son more than anything lately. this past christmas i bought him a guitar, drum, drum machine, recorder, tamborine, 2 different keyboards and a little microphone/amp combo. he turned 2 a couple of weeks ago, and he likes to improvise his own songs, which he plays guitar and sings simultaneously. it's pretty sveet.
    That is one lucky kid.