Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Metal concept albums

Comments

• ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited March 2011
    suidakra - crogacht

Awesome concept album tells the story of the hero Cuchulainn’s journey to the Hebridean island of Skye, where he seeks to learn the arts of war from the Scythian warrior woman Scáthach. The decisions he then has to make set the events in motion that will lead up to his son Conlaoch’s tragic fate.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    King Diamond. Any one of his albums besides Fatal Portrait.

• Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers

yeah Abigail has to be top 5 for all time metal concept albums
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy

yeah Abigail has to be top 5 for all time metal concept albums
    Definitely. I still don't get why they haven't made horror movies out of at least one of his albums. I would actually watch it if they did.
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    I was considering doing The Downward Spiral, but then I realized that pretty much all the songs that reflect the concept are are profane, so that's not possible lol.
  • Shanez_WifeShanez_Wife Posts: 2,008 just the tip
    Passiondale by God Dethroned is a good concept album about ww2
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    I was considering doing The Downward Spiral, but then I realized that pretty much all the songs that reflect the concept are are profane, so that's not possible lol.
    do Dio or Opeth
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche

this - easily one of the best ever
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    Nox Arcana!.... not metal; but best concepts EVAR!!!!!!!
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Hmmm.... right now my thoughts are: Crack The Skye, The Incurable Tragedy, The Downward Spiral, Antichrist Superstar, and Magica.
    lame. That just shows how uneducated you are with concept albums. But whatever... I guess it is just a school report and you dont need to pick one of the top 10 greatest concept albums. You just need to pick any old crappy concept album you happened to stumble across.

Actually - not that I said the above I think that is the right answer. school reports are bullshit and the topic matter doesnt matter so much as making a cohesive argument and being a little excited about the subject matter helps too. Since you havent really stumbled across the greatest concept albums yet (maybe someday you will) it is best to just stick with the shitty ones you know.

good luck.

edited March 2011
    Hmmm.... right now my thoughts are: Crack The Skye, The Incurable Tragedy, The Downward Spiral, Antichrist Superstar, and Magica.
    lame. That just shows how uneducated you are with concept albums. But whatever... I guess it is just a school report and you dont need to pick one of the top 10 greatest concept albums. You just need to pick any old crappy concept album you happened to stumble across.

Actually - not that I said the above I think that is the right answer. school reports are bullshit and the topic matter doesnt matter so much as making a cohesive argument and being a little excited about the subject matter helps too. Since you havent really stumbled across the greatest concept albums yet (maybe someday you will) it is best to just stick with the shitty ones you know.

good luck.

and your opinions on the top 10 greatest concept albums are? I know one of them is Ayreon, but what else?

and your opinions on the top 10 greatest concept albums are? I know one of them is Ayreon, but what else?
    I haven't really put much thought into it, however the top ten would most certainly have.....

Aryeon Human Equation
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Roger Waters - The Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking
    Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Ominicent
    Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
    Frank Zappa - Joe’s Garage

hmmm... I'm not sure what else to list. I'd have to think about it more then I'd like
    Basically to be a great concept album, it needs to have so much more then any regular album. If you have to sacrifice being radio friendly to have a fantastic compelling cohesive story, then so be it. And that is what a great concept album is! You could make a "concept album" about cars and every single song is about a different kind of car <- boring! shitty fucking concept. It needs to be like one album long song, with different melodies, and harmonies, and tempos that tell one story and doesnt sound like complete garbage.

I haven't really put much thought into it, however the top ten would most certainly have.....

Aryeon Human Equation
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Roger Waters - The Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking
    Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Ominicent
    Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
    Frank Zappa - Joe’s Garage

hmmm... I'm not sure what else to list. I'd have to think about it more then I'd like
    I thought the topic was "Metal" concept albums.

your question was "what is the top 10 concept albums".
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo

good luck.

I honestly don't understand why you get like this. Whenever anybody doesn't choose the same exact album as you, you tell them their choice is shitty. Just lighten the fuck up man, everyone has their own thoughts on stuff and it's his project, not yours.

Xenocide-Crack the Skye is a damn good album
    and in general concept albums dont really mesh well with metal artist. telling a story screaming through the whole song isnt going to get it done. It can be done, but it is a lot harder.

your question was "what is the top 10 concept albums".
    I guess i did ask the question that way, but the original topic was Metal.

I honestly don't understand why you get like this. Whenever anybody doesn't choose the same exact album as you, you tell them their choice is shitty. Just lighten the fuck up man, everyone has their own thoughts on stuff and it's his project, not yours.

Xenocide-Crack the Skye is a damn good album
    concept albums are probably my favorite thing about music. I eat them up. When someone asks me what type of music I like, I usually respond with "concept albums". and then when they press me for genres then ill say classic, metal, death, thrash.

I didnt say Crack the Skye wasnt a good album. Actually I think I love just about every album listed in this thread. However when someone asks for help with concept albums there is so much more then just being a fantastic album. Some concepts are so much better then others.