Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Your 2011 Albums of the Year Thread.

Comments

• drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited August 2011
    Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a brilliant album. I love it as a top 10 release, but jumping straight to 2 when I know your affinity for Foo Fighters was a surprise.

I haven't listened to Fleet Foxes yet, whenever I'm in a nonmetal mood I go straight for my postrock exchange list, so some other music has fallen by the wayside. Foo Fighters is among them, but I've listened to that a few times.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you were also higher on We're Here Because We're Here than I was.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    1. Red - Until We Have Faces
    2. The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
    3. Sleepmakeswaves - …and so we destroyed everything
    4. Trivium- In Waves
    5. All Shall Perish- This Is Where It Ends
    6. Winds Of Plague - Against The World
    7. Arsonists Get All The Girls - Motherland
    8. Ghost- Opus Eponymous
    9. Toxic Holocaust- Conjure and Command
    10. Darkest Hour - The Human Romance
    11. Mogwai- Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
    12. Scar Symmetry- The Unseen Empire
    13. Suicide Silence - The Black Crown
    14. Foo Fighters-Wasting Light
    15. Turisas- Stand Up and Fight
    16. Unearth- Darkness In The Light
    17. Amon Amarth- Surtur Rising
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    edited August 2011
    Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a brilliant album. I love it as a top 10 release, but jumping straight to 2 when I know your affinity for Foo Fighters was a surprise.

I haven't listened to Fleet Foxes yet, whenever I'm in a nonmetal mood I go straight for my postrock exchange list, so some other music has fallen by the wayside. Foo Fighters is among them, but I've listened to that a few times.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you were also higher on We're Here Because We're Here than I was.
    I like it more than We're Here Because We're Here, and if I put that album on this list, it would be top 10, so there's my logic there.

Wasting Light is by far the album I listen to the most out of the whole list, and I still think it's near-perfect. That says a lot about what I think about the two albums above it, and what it will take for Mastodon/Opeth/Megadeth/Landmine Marathon/etc. to get ranked above it. I'd be surprised if it leaves the top 5 and shocked if it leaves the top 10.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    all this Post-crap is incredibly overrated imo
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    Just cuz post rock doesnt have a gimmick like vikings, pirates, or the trv kvlts doesnt mean its crap.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    edited August 2011
    my reason for not liking it has nothing to do with the lyrical themes for the ones that even have lyrics

i find most of it pretentious, overly drawn out and boring
    edited August 2011
    If the genres of music you listen to were a company it'd be Nintendo.
    lolwut? how would black metal be nintendo?
    edited August 2011
    cuz its all gimmicky crap.
    Im not talking about how popular it is.
    Nintendo makes gimmicky systems; Black Metal has gimmicky music and image.
    A gimmick is gimmick is a gimmick.
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    Actually, Cheeze, post-rock can get really gimmicky. Lots of post-rock bands sound exactly the same (exactly like godspeed, usually), but their songs will just be standard bowed and tremolo+echo guitars and a generic buildup starting soft with the loudest most exciting/emotional part at the end. The slang term for this is crescendo-core.

Also, post-rock ain't pretentious, or at least not the bands talked about in this thread. Bad post-rock will sound drawn out, but long songs have just been part of the style.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Have to agree. It just can't keep my attention.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited August 2011
    There are bands who do it right, and bands who do it wrong, just like any other genre.

Jorm is right in saying that there are a ton of generic post-rock gimmicks, but not in the same way as black metal or folk metal. Post-rock as a genre isn't necessarily understood the same way as metal is for me. It's a completely different state of mind for me. Once you get it, you get it.

I'm also growing concerned for the new Mastodon.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    edited August 2011
    Black Metal has gimmicky music
    no
    Black Metal has gimmicky a image.
    yes and no. alot of bands do and a lot of bands don't

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    There are bands who do it right, and bands who do it wrong, just like any other genre.

Jorm is right in saying that there are a ton of generic post-rock gimmicks, but not in the same way as black metal or folk metal. Post-rock as a genre isn't necessarily understood the same way as metal is for me. It's a completely different state of mind for me. Once you get it, you get it.

I'm also growing concerned for the new Mastodon.
    In response to each line: Yes, yes, and don't be.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Posting as a troll is a gimmick. You're a gimmicky user on this forum.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Elitist.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    Sorry, Cheeze, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave, posting memes has become very gimmicky on this forum here.