Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Your 2011 Albums of the Year Thread.

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Not forgiven. Jerk...
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    Jay doesn't have Sex Offender.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Jay doesn't have Sex Offender.
    I've listened to it, I just don't know where to put it right now.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    I don't even know what sex offender is
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Polkadot Cadaver's new album, my current number one, probably won't be dethroned either.

Only albums I see dethroning it this year are Primus, Diablo Swing Orchestra, and maybe Powderburn
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    probably related to catz
    See I was going to make a catz joke with the comment but decided it has been done too much. Time to stop beating a dead horse.

Ad I've never even heard of that band
    I'm not going to listen to it now or for a while for that matter. Remind me in a month because if I listen to it now I may end up hating it. I got ritual today and that's all I want to listen to for the moment so I'm being fair
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    I need to re-listen to Sex Offender. At the moment it's a little low on my list but I feel it should be higher.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I totally missed that there was a new Moonlit Sailor album out this year. I'm dling now and will listen today. They're one of my favorite post-rock bands.

droooooool
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Sailor Moon?
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2011
    A few thoughts on a few albums that I listened to over the last few days...

The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual: I think these guys are really on to something. Ritual is becoming my favorite release of theirs, and Ryan Knight's contribution to this record is astounding. It's reminding me a lot more of an Arsis-influenced Unhallowed, which I will take any day of the week. I don't think they've peaked yet, though, their next album will be their magnum opus and one we will talk about for a long time.

The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Bleeding the New Apocalypse: This is such a fascinating band in that they riff so fucking well and are/should be raising prog metal boners everywhere. Solos and riffs are absolutely beautiful, and this is BY FAR Sandstrom's best vocal performances and Ruby does a fairly good job on her first record. Best Project Hate release I've heard, and it's a grower too. A real album of the year contender.

This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket: I fell hard for this album when I first heard it. Little Smoke may be my favorite song of theirs because it reminds me so much of an ambient GYBE aesthetic while rocking so hard. I'm growing concerned that it's too ambient for its own good, and I'm starting to get a little down on it. It was my #2 album at one point and now is dropped to 10.

Hate Eternal - Phoenix Amongst the Ashes: I think Hate Eternal get a lot of shit for being pretty by the books as a death metal band, but this is a more varied release than it will get credit for. Everything Rutan touches will be great, and this is no exception, but it doesn't pop. In a release year like this, it can't be called a top release, and will probably be sitting in the 30's or 40's by end of the year.

Protest the Hero - Scurrilous: I want to love this album, I really do, but I just can't the same way everyone else does. I want to say it's repetitive, even though it isn't, y'know what I mean? I just get the same feel from everything on this album and that feel isn't what makes me really get an album. It's good, but not top 10 good and certainly not album of the year good. Sorry Slap.

1. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
    2. Altar of Plagues - Mammal
    3. Krallice - Diotima
    4. The Seven Mile Journey - Notes for the Synthesis
    5. Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa
    6. Moonlit Sailor - Colors in Stereo
    7. Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
    8. Fen - Epoch
    9. Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling
    10. This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket
    11. The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Bleeding the New Apocalypse (Cum Victriciis In Manibus Armis)
    12. Amorphis - The Beginning of Times
    13. Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
    14. Deafheaven - Roads to Judah
    15. The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
    16. Dragged into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind
    17. Grayceon - All We Destroy
    18. Septic Flesh - The Great Mass
    19. Scale the Summit - The Collective
    20. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
    21. Hate Eternal - Phoenix Amongst the Ashes
    22. Origin - Entity
    23. Vreid - V
    24. Falkenbach - Tiurida
    25. Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
    26. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
    27. Demonaz - March of the Norse
    28. Rudra - Brahmavidya: Immortal I
    29. Light Bearer - Lapsus
    30. Neuraxis - Asylon
    31. Obscura - Omnivium
    32. Loss - Despond
    33. Indian - Guiltless
    34. Mitochondrion - Parasignosis
    35. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
    36. Mercenary - Metamorphosis

I'm listening to Project Hate now though, and it's going to jump up some more spots.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    I totally missed that there was a new Moonlit Sailor album out this year. I'm dling now and will listen today. They're one of my favorite post-rock bands.

droooooool
    link plz.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    edited June 2011
    "Protest the Hero - Scurrilous: I want to love this album, I really do, but I just can't the same way everyone else does. I want to say it's repetitive, even though it isn't, y'know what I mean? I just get the same feel from everything on this album and that feel isn't what makes me really get an album. It's good, but not top 10 good and certainly not album of the year good. Sorry Slap. "

soniamdisappoint.jpeg
    1. Ritual
    2. Wasting light

Wasting light has been dethroned no other CDs have really mattered.

And as far as bdm CDs go at this point this is their best cd and probably the one I would suggest to people first to listen to. If you were on the fence about them before give this album a full listen.
    I'm so happy with ritual that I would be fine with them playing the entire cd on summer slaughter plus I will return, miasma, statutory ape
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    whats the best song off the album ape. i'll give em one more shot, not promising anything though.