Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Your 2011 Albums of the Year Thread.

Comments

• ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    it original i'll give it that
  • MetalSSlayerMetalSSlayer Posts: 6,164 destroyer of motherfuckers
    1. Symphony X – Iconoclast
    2. Amon Amarth – Surtur Rising
    3. Alestorm - Back Through Time
    4. Korpiklaani – Ukon Wacka
    5. Týr – The Lay of Thyrm
    6. Incubus - If Not Now, When?
    7. Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions
    8. Suidakra – Book of Dowth
    9. Primordial – Redemption at the Puritans Hand
    10. Enslaved – The Sleeping Gods
    11. Sirenia - The Enigma of Life
    12. KFMDM - WTF?!
    13. Obscura – Omnivium
    14. Varg - Wolfskult
    15. Rise Against – Endgame
    16. Children of Bodom – Relentless Reckless Forever
    17. Wolfchant – Call of the Black Wind
    18. Light Bearer – Lapsus
    19. Xerath - II
    20. Turisas – Stand Up and Fight
    21. Sum 41 - Screaming Bloody Murder
    22. Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
    23. Vreid – V
    24. The Lonely Island - Turtleneck and Chain
    25. Arafel – For Battles Once Fought
    26. Midnattsol – The Metamorphosis Melody
    27. Fen – Epoch
    28. Leaves' Eyes - Meredead
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO00000000000000000000000000000000000.........................
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    Holy fucking shit.

#1: Tyler, The Creator -Goblin.
    #2: Lupe Fiasco - Lasers.
    #3: Frank Ocean - Nostalgia/ULTRA.

Just finally listened to all of Lasers. I've had it downloaded for weeks, but I've only been listening to Words I Never Said and The Show Goes On. Finally listened to the full album. Beautiful album.
    I really like that album too minus the couple of tracks that the record label make lupe do.
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Holy fucking shit.

Just finally listened to all of Lasers. I've had it downloaded for weeks, but I've only been listening to Words I Never Said and The Show Goes On. Finally listened to the full album. Beautiful album.
    I really like that album too minus the couple of tracks that the record label make lupe do.
    Which songs?
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    edited June 2011
    1. Polkadot Cadaver -- Sex Offender
    2. Protest The Hero -- Scurrilous
    3. Foo Fighters -- Wasting Light
    4. Obscura -- Omnivium
    5. Frank Ocean -- Nostalgia/Ultra
    6. Journey -- Eclipse
    7. Brad Paisley -- This Is Country Music
    8. Anti-Ben -- An Orgy Of Celestial Sounds & Ben Hatred
    9. Crowbar -- Sever the Wicked Hand
    10. Lady Gaga -- Born This Way
    11. Times Of Grace -- Hymn Of A Broken Man

I need to get to listening.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    I thought you liked Protest the Hero? :-<
    edited June 2011
    Holy fucking shit.

Which songs?
    The show goes on is one of the them the song with john legend and i don't wanna care.
    There's articles on top of articles about him hating the album because the label fucked him over.

2. Foo Fighters -- Wasting Light
    3. Obscura -- Omnivium
    4. Frank Ocean -- Nostalgia/Ultra
    5. Journey -- Eclipse
    6. Brad Paisley -- This Is Country Music
    7. Anti-Ben -- An Orgy Of Celestial Sounds & Ben Hatred
    8. Crowbar -- Sever the Wicked Hand
    9. Lady Gaga -- Born This Way
    10. Times Of Grace -- Hymn Of A Broken Man

whatever happened to that list you wanted ppl to give you
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I'll have to look that up. Either way, I love The Show Goes On so much.
    2. Foo Fighters -- Wasting Light
    3. Obscura -- Omnivium
    4. Frank Ocean -- Nostalgia/Ultra
    5. Journey -- Eclipse
    6. Brad Paisley -- This Is Country Music
    7. Anti-Ben -- An Orgy Of Celestial Sounds & Ben Hatred
    8. Crowbar -- Sever the Wicked Hand
    9. Lady Gaga -- Born This Way
    10. Times Of Grace -- Hymn Of A Broken Man

whatever happened to that list you wanted ppl to give you
    I never got around to it, sorry dude.
    I love it too because it's a fuck you song to his record label.

The last time we spoke with Lupe Fiasco, things were not looking good. His oft-delayed third album, Lasers, seemed destined for major label limbo and Lupe was busying himself with side projects like Japanese Cartoon—his post-punk rock band—and climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Lupe’s fans fought back and took things into their own hands by protesting the delay of Lasers. And then a ray of hope: Lupe tweeted a picture of himself with Atlantic Records Chief Operating Officer, Julie Greenwald, and the long-standing feud between him and the label seemed resolved. Shortly thereafter Lasers was given a release date, and it looked like everything was going to be alright.

But pictures can be deceiving. Despite having a legitimate hit on his hands with “The Show Goes On,” and having a solid release date of March 8 for his album, things between Lupe and Atlantic Records haven’t really been resolved. We got on the phone with Lupe and he went off about how he was pressured into doing “The Show Goes On,” why he’s still not cool with Atlantic Records, and why he (sometimes) hates his own album.

As told to Insanul Ahmed (@Incilin)

On "The Show Goes On"
    “There’s nothing really to tell about that record, to be honest. I didn’t have nothing to do with that record. That was the label’s record. That wasn’t like I knew the producer or knew the writer or anything like that. That was one of those records the record company gave me, [they even gave me] stuff they wanted me to rap about. It wasn’t like, ‘Hey I did this and I went to a mountain and found inspiration and it was this.’ [Last April] I was backstage at a show at the House of Blues in L.A. and the president of [Atlantic Records] came to me and said, ‘Hey check this out, I got this song.’ He played ‘Show Goes On’ for me on the iPod. I was used to it because they presented me like ten other songs in the same fashion or via email. So for me, at that point, it was just another record like, ‘Is this a song you want me to do?’ There was nothing special about it for me at that point. It was like, ‘You know we still want off the label, right?’ That was the conversations we were having.

“I did the record maybe a couple weeks after I initially heard it. We were on tour and I didn’t have the schedule to go record it, so the first instance that I had to actually go do it, I went and knocked it out. I knocked out ‘Never Forget You’ that same day. Then we had ‘Show Goes On’ for two, three months completed in some fashion. It was never a record like, ‘Hey! Lupe is super excited about ‘Show Goes On.’’ At that point, I was just drained. I was like, ‘Whatever. Another song, another day, another dollar.’

I had to do ['The Show Goes On'] and it had to be the first single if the record was going to come out.
    “I had to do ‘Show Goes On,’ that was like the big chip on the table. I had to do it and it had to be the first single if the record was going to come out. And then there’s ‘Never Forget You’ [featuring John Legend]—which is another record I had nothing to do with—which became another bargaining chip, like, ‘Yo, after ‘Show Goes On’ there’s going to be this other record that you had nothing to do with.’ And I know John Legend, he’s a cool dude. But it was just a record he had sitting around and Exec A or Exec B heard it, and they were like, ‘Oh yeah! We’re going to put this on Lupe.’ And it wasn’t like, ‘Hey Lupe, do you like this song?’ it was like, ‘You got to do this record.’ At that point, I had already done ten records [the same way]. It was like I’d fly out from whatever spot I’m vacationing in, cut these records, and fly back.”

Why He Hates Lasers
    “One thing I try to stress about this project is, I love and hate this album. I listen to it and I’ll like some of the songs. But when I think about what it took to actually get the record together and everything that I went through on this record—which is something I can’t separate—I hate this album. A lot of the songs that are on the album, I’m kinda neutral to. Not that I don’t like them, or that I hate them, it’s just I know the process that went behind it. I know the sneaky business deal that went down behind this song, or the artist or singer or songwriter who wrote this hook and didn’t want to give me this song in the first place. So when I have that kind of knowledge behind it, I’m just kind of neutral to it like, ‘Another day, another dollar.’ As opposed something like The Cool, which is more of my own blood, sweat, and tears, and my own control. With this record, I’m little bit more neutral as to the love for the record.

When I think about everything that I went through on this record, I hate this album.
    “I don’t like the process behind Lasers. The music is dope but I just don’t like the process. We were literally at the point where all this music was done except for a couple songs that we did after the protest. So the bulk of the album was done. And we were talking about shelving the album and going to another label, that’s where we were like, ‘If you put the record out, put it out. Either move on to another album or can it and we’ll do other records at another label.’ The business of it got solved. I’m happy for the fans, this is their album. This is the album that they fought for and that’s what made me do songs like ‘Words I Never Said’ and ‘All Black Everything.’
    I also like the new BTBAM, but it's an EP and thus I won't put it on the list, I will listen to Unexpect and Amon Amarth sometime this week for sure, the rest of everyone's lists will also be listened to.
    I'm surprised you haven't listened to Unexpect yet. It's number 9 for me.
    I'm surprised you haven't listened to Unexpect yet. It's number 9 for me.
    I'm surprised as well, as much as I loved In A Flesh Aquarium and Orange Vigilantes I'm surprised I didn't jump on that leak.

Also on my list of albums I need is Rise Against and all 5 Senmuth albums so far this year.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Rise Against \m/
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Rise Against this bad album \m/