Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official NHL thread**

Comments

• fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    Rule 43 - Checking from Behind
    43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.
    43.2 Minor Penalty - There is no provision for a minor penalty for checking from behind.
    43.3 Major Penalty – Any player or goalkeeper who cross-checks, pushes or charges from behind an opponent who is unable to protect or defend himself, shall be assessed a major penalty. This penalty applies anywhere on the playing surface (see 43.5).
    43.4 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by checking from behind.
    43.5 Game Misconduct – A game misconduct penalty must be assessed anytime a major penalty is applied for checking from behind.
    43.6 Fines and Suspensions - Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule 41 and/or Rule 43, in either theRegular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automatically for the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.
    If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

see any hit from behind is suppose to result in a 5 minute major and an ejection from the game, no where does it say there had to be intent to injure nor that it results in injury, and richards hit on connoly was from behind.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "we arent discussing either the bobby ryan hit nor the myers hit, so why bring it up"

i was comparing it to other recnt events. still, no response i see....

what sort of response do you want? find me a clip of the knee on knee and i'll tell you what i think. bobby ryan SHOULD have been suspended for the series in my opinion
    by the way george i like richards and think hes a hell of a hockey player and captain
  • myplagueRobmyplagueRob Posts: 1,375
    "The problem is that hits from behind should not be acceptable at all. Just because a player doesn't get hurt doesn't mean that it is okay. It just means he was lucky. Hits from behind are extremely dangerous and ALL hits from behind, whether the player gets hurt or not should be suspendable because they should not be tolerated. And it is not about "pussifying" the game. It is about keeping the players somewhat safe in an extremely dangerous sport.

And yes, Bobby Ryan should have had a much longer suspension. The NHL dropped the ball on that one. But, YES, Richards should at least be given a game for the hit yesterday, all though he won't be."

Maybe youre right, but the point is all player donot get suspended cause if it, it only seems when someone gets hurt they want a suspension. the ref didnt even put his arm up until Connoly was layed out on the ground. I agree the NHL is very inconsistent on this and I dont want them to start being consistent when the captain of my team accidently hurts someone before game 7. compared to the other suspensions, this should not be one. i've seen wayyy worse not even get talked about suspensions. I dont think it was a dirty hit, nothing is going to change my mind. if he wasnt hurt, we wouldnt even be talking about this and richards would not have enen goten a penalty.
    Therein lies the problem. The NHL is wayyyyy too inconsistent with their rulings. They say they want to eliminate elbows to the head, but Ryan Callahan delivers a blatant elbow to the head of Frans Nielsen and doesn't even get 2 minutes. They say they don't want hits from behind, but some plays get suspensions and others don't.

If the NHL would just be somewhat consistent there would not be an issue. But the league never decides to step up and do something until players get injured. The league is far too reactive than proactive.

They had the right idea with Rule 48, the blindside rule, but then we see clauses in it like the behind the net clause that made Torres' hit on Seabrook in game 3 a legal hit.

As far as knee on knee hits: I think ALL of those hits should be suspendable as well because knee on knee hits are some of the worst hits someone can make. But I personally did NOT see the Myers hit on Carter, so I cannot comment on that one.
    "see any hit from behind is suppose to result in a 5 minute major and an ejection from the game, no where does it say there had to be intent to injure nor that it results in injury, and richards hit on connoly was from behind."

ok then weed have half of each team being suspended every game, when people are forechecking they always drive players into the boards form behind, maybe its a little closer, all i'm saying is the NHL is not consistent. I dont want my captain being the poster child off an accidental hit right before game 7. its not fair, i've seen worse. the NHL made the right call, if they want to make any type of hit from behind a suspension, there witll be suspensions every game, the point is its up to the refs disgression and watching the video, i see the ref put his arm up after connoly is hurt, why not do it immediately? NHL made the right call on this one weather you agree ornot.
    "see any hit from behind is suppose to result in a 5 minute major and an ejection from the game, no where does it say there had to be intent to injure nor that it results in injury, and richards hit on connoly was from behind."

ok then weed have half of each team being suspended every game, when people are forechecking they always drive players into the boards form behind, maybe its a little closer, all i'm saying is the NHL is not consistent. I dont want my captain being the poster child off an accidental hit right before game 7. its not fair, i've seen worse. the NHL made the right call, if they want to make any type of hit from behind a suspension, there witll be suspensions every game, the point is its up to the refs disgression and watching the video, i see the ref put his arm up after connoly is hurt, why not do it immediately? NHL made the right call on this one weather you agree ornot.
    We also have to differentiate the hits. I know what you're talking about when you say "when people are forechecking they always drive players into the boards form behind". But the hits from behind that are the issue is when a player gets driven head/face first into the boards. Those hits are the problem.
    "Therein lies the problem. The NHL is wayyyyy too inconsistent with their rulings. They say they want to eliminate elbows to the head, but Ryan Callahan delivers a blatant elbow to the head of Frans Nielsen and doesn't even get 2 minutes. They say they don't want hits from behind, but some plays get suspensions and others don't."

this is my point exactly, why should they make Richards the scapegoat right now, they shouldnt. if they want to be more consistent, then do it, but I hope everyone agrees with me that it was an accident reguardless of what happened. Richards is not known for being a cheapshot like cooke. thats prolly why he wasnt suspended. i think its very unforotunate connoly got hurt, but its part of the game, if they want to make every single hit suspendable, they better suspend everyone. my personal opinion is it should be with intent to injure or purposely and thats how i think the NHL makes there rulings now reguardless of what the rule syas.

"As far as knee on knee hits: I think ALL of those hits should be suspendable as well because knee on knee hits are some of the worst hits someone can make. But I personally did NOT see the Myers hit on Carter, so I cannot comment on that one."

it was an accident, thats why i havent mentioned it, i dont bicth about accidents, still sucks, but it happens...

"We also have to differentiate the hits. I know what you're talking about when you say "when people are forechecking they always drive players into the boards form behind". But the hits from behind that are the issue is when a player gets driven head/face first into the boards. Those hits are the problem."

well thats the problem then, whos to say the difference? i bet 90% of the time even if its a little tap from behind, the -players helmet hits the board. its a fine line...
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,723 mod
    George..... <_>

I never said Richards should have been suspended, I said it merited a five-minute penalty and game misconduct and not a suspension. Why are you attacking Kronwall? Since you posted those, I'm going to have to defend my player here....

Ok, the first one in 2009. Kronwall got kicked out of the game for that hit and did not get suspended. Did I understand that call? Yes. Did I agree with it? No, and I still don't. The big difference between Richards' hit and Kronwall's hit is that Havlat's head was up for the majority of that play. Then, at the last second, he puts his head down, and by that time Kronwall has already committed to the check and he can't stop. He didn't leave his feet until the force of the impact propelled him up. Because he didn't touch the puck, by the book that's interference and a penalty, but a 5-minute major? No. And this was before the hits to the head standard was instituted last year. Not Kronwall's fault. Richards was staring at Connolly's back the whole time and still pushed him. That's the difference between Kronwall's hit there and Richards' hit here. Richards had the option to pull up and not hit him, Kronwall did not.

The second hit should have been a penalty, I'm not going to defend that one. He led with his shoulder, but he did hit Selanne in the head.

The third hit is clean. He moves his body in a upward direction as he hits which causes him to leave the ice a little bit, but that's not a charge, that's a shoulder-to-shoulder hit.

JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    but the way yooz guys try to spin it earlier was a hit to the head, or a hit to a defensive player should automatically warant discipline reguardless if it was an accident or not. I wasnt attacking Kronwall, I think he's a great player who walks a thin line between legal and not legal. If what you guys were saying earlier is true, Kronwall should have been suspended.
    edited April 2011
    For the first hit? No, because the rules were different in 2009. Also, Havlat was not a defenseless player, he had his head up until the very last second then he put it down, nothing you can do about it.
    but the way yooz guys try to spin it earlier was a hit to the head, or a hit to a defensive player should automatically warant discipline reguardless if it was an accident or not. I wasnt attacking Kronwall, I think he's a great player who walks a thin line between legal and not legal. If what you guys were saying earlier is true, Kronwall should have been suspended.
    that is what the league has been saying that they want. Any elbow to head, or blindside hit to the head should be suspended. But then the NHL doesn't follow through on it. They have also said that they don't want any hits from behind in the game anymore.

And then when these hits happen, there are times when they say it's okay. This is why people are calling for suspensions on a lot more hits. Because they league says they want to suspend all of them, and then they don't.
    A committee would solve all of this....not Colin Campbell who cries about how hard his job is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smgMZk6m5LI

This is the Callahan elbow to Nielsen's head that I mentioned earlier. It fits all the parameters for rule 48, and yet there was no fine, suspension, or even a hearing.
    Jay <_>

I'm just saying, if we're going to call accidental hits on everyone, we should call them on every single hit. THe rule says any hit to the back is illegal. we better get used to a paradse os suspensions in every single game.

I stick to my story, if Connoley isnt injured, the reff wouldnt have even called a penalty. Big hits are big hits, it was accidental. If connoly didnt twist the other way, he wouldnt have got hurt. i think the leauge needs to distinguish these hits. RIshards gets a 5 min majopr for protecting his fucking face, then evenyone wants him suspended for a check that went wronk, he sisnt drive his head into the boards, his left and was low on connoly's back. richards body weight is what drove him into the boars going at extremely high speeds, i guess Richards was just supposed to let connoly have room with the puck in our zone to make a play <_> there was nothing intentional about that hit, and its too bad he got hurt, it was a borderline 2minute penalty. not blaming connoly, but he did twist the opposite way and how the fuck is Richards supposed to stop going that fast? i think the NHL made the right call on this one, I guarentee if it was Carcillo, he would have been suspended on reputation. we just have to realize the facts here, the NHL doesnt have clear set rules and they judge based on players pasts and how bad they think the hit is. noway RIchards should be suspended and it would have been a crime to throw him our of the game.
    edited April 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smgMZk6m5LI

This is the Callahan elbow to Nielsen's head that I mentioned earlier. It fits all the parameters for rule 48, and yet there was no fine, suspension, or even a hearing.
    Yeah, that's bullshit. Any elbow like that is dirty.
    the callahan hit is just brootal and definately intenional and shame on the NHL for not giving him a suspension...
    edited April 2011
    It's an imperfect system, George. One individual is determining who sits and who plays in these instances, and that's just wrong. Until the power is taken out of Colin Campbell's hands, this is going to continue to frustrate and anger teams and their fans because no one knows where the line is.
    It's an imperfect system, George. One individual is determining who sits and who plays in these instances, and that's just wrong. Until the power is taken out of Colin Campbell's hands, this is going to continue to frustrate and anger teams and their fans because no one knows where the line is.
    i agree. still dont think Richards deserves a suspension.