Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official NHL thread**

Comments

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I don't believe they are going to win it with ease. They're going to have to work for it and earn it. If they play the Bruins, no doubt in my mind it will come down to 6-7 game series again. I just know from watching the other teams in the leauge they have a team built to win the cup more then any toher team. solid up and down the lineup and they even went out and got decent backups in case of injuries. I know theres some good teams out their, but the Flyers remind me of other temas that won the cup recently, the canes, ducks, wings, and blackhawks... Flyers have a real deep team with alot of veterns who are ready to take the final step. If they don't win the cup, I will be absolutely shocked and blown away and might have to check myself into a hospital cause it just isn't happening. they are too deep and have the expirience to do it this year and they will.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    I don't think the East is as much of a threat to the Flyers as whoever comes out of the West, imo. Vancouver, Detroit, and San Jose all match up with the Flyers well, especially the first two. I think they are indeed vastly superior to Washington (no defense), Boston (not enough scoring), and Pittsburgh (no Crosbitch and Malkin) in the East.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    the lightning are pretty good, but i'm not afraid of the east really at all. and i think if they make it to the finals again, with the guys they have in the locker room and the talent they added from last year versteeg, zherdev, meszaros, odonnell... theres no way in hell that group they have is gonna let it slip away again. i am confident as i ever fucking been with a sports team.
    The Lightning won't even beat the Penguins...they're too soft defensively and in net to win right now.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    George.
    Read my lips.
    Flyers ain't winning.

The Lightning won't even beat the Penguins...they're too soft defensively and in net to win right now.
    I know, but they play the FLyers tough, I think the Flyers yould beat them in 4-5 games, but I think the lightning would be capable of hopefully knocking off a decent tame like the Bruins, Caps, Pens for us...
    George.
    Read my lips.
    I can't read your lips, we're on a forum not in the same room [-(
    Jay what 4 teams do you think will play in the west and east conference championship games? honestly?

Vancouver are a regular season p0zer team, they should be out in the 2nd round.
  • myplagueRobmyplagueRob Posts: 1,375
    Not soft in goal. Rollie is awesome in the clutch, but their defense is absolutely terrible. They let teams walk right through them. And at times their offense doesn't show up. they can maybe win a playoff round, or at least take a series to 7, but won't go farther than that unfortunately.

I'm pulling for them for Roloson, but I don't think they will go anywhere.
    Jay what 4 teams do you think will play in the west and east conference championship games? honestly?

West:
    Vancouver
    Detroit

East:
    Philadelphia
    Boston.
    Detroit Nashville, Philly Boston
    Detroit Nashville, Philly Boston
    I'd love to see Nashville go far. Love all that Rinne does.
    they always give teams a real tough time in the 1st round and bring series deep, but they can never get over the hump and make it past the first round, now they have a goalie, i see them making a decent run.
    edited March 2011
    If the playoffs started today and those matchups held:

Eastern Conference

(1) Philly defeats (8) Buffalo in 5. Ryan Miller steals a game, but that's it.
    (2) Washington defeats (7) NY Rangers in 5, 6 if Ovechkin isn't 100%. The Caps will shoot the lights out.
    (3) Boston defeats (6) Montreal in 7. Original Six matchup leads to a closer matchup than one would think.
    (4) Pittsburgh defeats (5) Tampa Bay in 7. Pitt's defense and goaltending is enough to overcome their lack of consistent offense against an inexperienced Lightning team.

(1) Philly defeats (4) Pittsburgh in 6. Pittsburgh hangs around with its defense and experience but Philly's a more complete team. With Crosby, it would probably go 7, but without him, it might even go 5.
    (2) Washington defeats (3) Boston in 7. This could go either way, but I think the Caps have enough talent to push through Boston's huge back line, but if Boston can find scoring, it gets interesting.

(1) Philly defeats (2) Washington in 5. Philly has too much offense for the Caps' weak back line, and Ovechkin can't do it all. The Flyers roll and bitchslap the Caps on the way to the SCF.

Western Conference

(1) Vancouver defeats (8) Chicago in 7. Yes, 7. Chicago is the defending champs and they will give the Canucks all they can handle in the opening round. But Vancouver has more than enough to counter the Hawks this year, and Luongo will be better.
    (2) Detroit defeats (7) Anaheim in 6. This should be 5, but the Ducks are a resilient bunch, and Jonas Hiller will probably steal a game or two as he did when the Wings and Ducks faced off in 2009. Anaheim isn't as good as they were then, though, and the Wings will take care of them in quicker fashion.
    (3) San Jose defeats (6) Nashville in 7. It seems like these guys face each other every year. Anyway, Nashville is hot and probably has one of the best goalies in Pekka Rinne, so they will push the Sharks, who don't have much defensive depth, to the brink. San Jose will survive a tight Game 7 to move on.
    (5) Los Angeles defeats (4) Phoenix in 6. I like the Kings a lot, but losing Justin Williams's scoring will hurt. It won't matter in this round, though, as the Kings will ride Anze Kopitar and the goaltending of Jonathan Quick to the mild upset over a Coyotes team that might be back in Winnipeg soon.

(1) Vancouver defeats (5) Los Angeles in 6. Another rematch from last year. The Kings are better, but so are Vancouver, and without Justin Williams, I don't think the Kings have enough firepower to beat Vancouver this time.
    (2) Detroit defeats (3) San Jose in 7. It seems that lately, San Jose has had Detroit's number, both in the regular season and playoffs. With home-ice advantage in the other direction this year, I think the Wings' balanced scoring will overcome the big bodies of the Sharks this time, but it will be an intense, well-fought series.

(1) Vancouver defeats (2) Detroit in 7. Another series that could go the other way, this will be the best series in the playoffs by far. Detroit's balance of skill up front will help counter the Sedin twins up front, and they do have some holes defensively. However, I think Luongo is the difference and will outplay Jimmy Howard in the end, sending the Canucks to the Finals for the first time since 1994.

STANLEY CUP FINALS

Vancouver defeats Philly in 6. The Pronger factor will be a huge one, especially when it comes to the Canucks' deadly power play. If Philly can stay out of the box, they can definitely hang with the Canucks 5 on 5. I believe Canada is due for a Cup, though, and this is their best chance in a while. Luongo finally gets the monkey off his back and wins the Conn Smythe.

they always give teams a real tough time in the 1st round and bring series deep, but they can never get over the hump and make it past the first round, now they have a goalie, i see them making a decent run.
    Like the Hawks last year. I was more worried about the Hawks chances when they played NSH over when they played VAN. Especially because NSH gave the Hawks major challenges all year last year, and if you beat Luongo once or twice, he will just cry and suck the rest of the series lmfao
    edited March 2011
    If Nashville had taken better care of the puck in the last minute of Game 5, Chicago might not have won the Cup last year. Everything changed with that game. During a Cup run, there's always one play or goal that you can look to as the turning point. That was Chicago's.
    *sigh* it was such a promising read, you just got the last part wrong. Flyers have 3 scoring lines and 3 number one defensive pairings, noone from the east or west can matchup with them. I personally don't even see vanouver making it that far, luongo will choke again and I think if they play chicago in round 1 they are in deep trouble and will lose that series. Good read though. At least you tried.lolz
    <_>
    If Nashville had taken better care of the puck in the last minute of Game 5, Chicago might not have won the Cup last year. Everything changed with that game. During a Cup run, there's always one play or goal that you can look to as the turning point. That was Chicago's.
    Yep. That tying goal was gigantic. Awesome game throughout too.