Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Upcoming Album thread!

Comments

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy

Just curious as to why you dislike melodeath?

i haven't always hated it. i kinda liked the addition of melody in the mid-90's when only a handful of bands like atg and carcass were doing it. after the blitzkrieg of bands that aped the style between '04-'08 in the wake of 'metalocalypse', i really got left with a bad taste in my mouth. what's worse is that you have a lot of metalcore bands that will either call themselves melodeath or will actively transition to the form to further pollute the gene pool. it was a decent style when you had 10-20 bands doing it, but now that you've got 400 shitty ones the entire thing should die. as much as i like and respect atg, the fact that their descendants have plundered their style will mean that they will have to do something outside the box to make for a pleasant listen. it's part of the reason i feel so meh about carcass recent album. it's not really their fault, but that's the way i feel

it's gonna sound like blasphemy, but i've felt similar about thrash and brutal death metal at different points. it wasn't until there was a weeding out period for both where you found out who the lifers were before i could really fuck with it again.

tech-death, post-metal and stoner metal are all pretty much at their zenith right now, afaic. you're just now starting to see a lot of bands from all 3 sub-genres that just mush together instead of sticking out. i was listening to isis radio on pandora the other day and it played like 10 bands in a row that sounded almost exactly like isis...which are already pretty derivative of neurosis/tribes, but that's another discussion.

mixing shoegaze with black metal seems to be the in thing right now. give it 5 years and there will be 500 of those types of bands and i'll be sick of that, too. ebbs and flows...
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,709 spicy boy
    Ahh got ya. I feel that.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Blackgaze has been a thing since like 2009 or so, but it's definitely picking up ok the advent of Sunbather and such
    exactly

and due to 'sunbather' getting so much hype with mainstream press, you're bound to see a some kids converting over from the mayhem/a7x/shitknot stuff to blackgaze en masse soon. unfortunately, black metal's corpsepaint thing lends itself well to poseurs
    I don't think any blackgaze/atmospheric black metal/cascadian black metal actually wear corpsepaint though...
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    its primarily dem flannel armies with, pbr tall boys, and carabiners. for extra rep, bring your favorite messenger bag.
    I love winning with women
    that is true, but when things break mainstream it tends to be attached to a fashion. we understand that there's a difference between those bands and the typical idea of what a black metal band looks like. kids at hot topic don't
    Well Abigial Williams jumped from blackened deathcore to atmospheric bm and they didn't do that.
    i could be wrong, but it seems like every time an underground style hits the mainstream, a homogenized version of the genre characteristics follows. just look at how every "hardcore" kid has sleeves and stretched ears now. you'd think that they all came from the same place
    We'll see. I can definitely foresee over saturation in the genre, but I don't think any bands that decide this style of music will get them places are gonna end up in Hot Topic or on Mayhem Fest or anything. It's still a little to harsh for regular ol'e metal people who spend their time thinking about Mayhem Fest and hoping for a Pantera reunion with Zakk Wylde.
    you say that, but i remember a time when pantera would send people screaming for the exits for being "too harsh"
    edited January 2014
    That's actually kind of hard to believe. Not that you witnessed it, but that it happened at one point.
    yeah. pantera is so overblown now because of how dime died and all the dickriding that followed. when pantera were peaking, most buttrockers were jamming to 'load'. the nu-metal thing left them in the dust until he died. i mean, there was a reason dime was playing at a shitty hole-in-the-wall when he got shot
    i saw pantera/biohazard/neurosis, tool/psychotica and marilyn manson/n.y. loose 3 nights in a row in 1996. all at the same venue. pantera had about 2000 people, tool had about 4k and manson had about 8k. so that kinda tells you where they stood
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Not even a Manson fan, but it would have been killer to see him back then, I bet.
    inb4lists
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited January 2014
    Goddamn Satan is the most pretentious piece of shit ever when it comes to music. Possibly worse than Nola. Absolutely disgusting, can barely read this horseshit without wanting to steal your jaw multiple times.
    :))

it's right here whenever you're ready tuff guy

Not even a Manson fan, but it would have been killer to see him back then, I bet.

it was a bunch of hoopla. i went because of a girl i was dating at the time. i barely even knew his music. it was during the first leg of the 'antichrist superstar' tour. there were protesters there trying to keep people from entering. i thought it was all a joke, personally. manson kept trying to get people to break the barricade and was pretty irritated that it didn't happen