Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Upcoming Album thread!

Comments

• DreamtheaterDreamtheater Posts: 1,088 just the tip
    DETHKLOK Co-Creator's GALAKTIKON Debut: More Details Revealed - Feb. 20, 2012
    Brendon Small, co-creator of "Metalocalypse", the smash hit animated series on Adult Swim featuring the fictitious metal band DETHKLOK, has written and produced BRENDON SMALL'S GALAKTIKON "A High Stakes Intergalactic Extreme Rock Album", the debut release from his long-awaited side project. Due in April, the CD's arrival will coincide with the Season 4 premiere of "Metalocalypse".

Coming off of the second DETHKLOK album which was heavier and darker than the first, BRENDON SMALL'S GALAKTIKON searches for melody (in the vocal) and finds inspiration in modern black metal, QUEEN, FOO FIGHTERS, SOUNDGARDEN, SMASHING PUMPKINS and WEEZER. No influence is unwelcome on this project. Brendon Small paired with DETHKLOK drummer Gene Hoglan (STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, TESTAMENT, FEAR FACTORY) and DETHKLOK bassist Bryan Beller (DETHKLOK, STEVE VAI, MIKE KENEALLY) and DETHKLOK engineer and mixer Ulrich Wild.

"This album should be thought of as an audio comic book, an over acted chamber drama, a ridiculous premise that takes itself way too seriously all the way to the end," states Small.

The BRENDON SMALL'S GALAKTIKON "A High Stakes Intergalactic Extreme Rock Album" cover art was designed by Antonio Canobbio and can be seen below.

In a July 2011 interview with Revolver magazine, Small was asked at what point he decided it was time to make a solo record. "There was a time when I didn't know if I was going to do the second DETHKLOK album," he said. "I had the studio lined up, and the players lined up, and the engineer and co-producer, and all that shit, and unfortunately, the guy we were negotiating with went on vacation and left things kind of dead. So I said, 'OK, fuck this — I'm going to spend my own money and get these guys doing something.'

"I love melody and I love melodic vocals in metal, not just the guttural stuff — though obviously it works with DETHKLOK, and I wouldn't want to change a thing. I long for melody in the vocal.

"When I was developing the DETHKLOK sound, some of the things I was writing weren't heavy enough for DETHKLOK, but I still liked them. So I was like, I'm going to make this into something, so I'm going to get Gene [Hoglan] and I'm going to get Bryan Beller, and we're going to make this project, and I'm going to figure out what it is. Then the negotiations got all cleared up, and we went right back into the same studio and did the second DETHKLOK album."

Regarding whether those non-DETHKLOK songs eventually became the basis for "Brendon Small's Galaktikon", Small said, Yeah. I had all these songs where there were elements of QUEEN, but also elements of FOO FIGHTERS and SMASHING PUMPKINS, with some DIO elements as well. My kind of rule for the record was, it's going to be whatever it ends up being, and I'm going to tell a story through the whole thing. Once I started putting the pieces together, I found the story, and I realized that, OK, this is a high-stakes, intergalactic, extreme rock album. And if I do this right, it's going to be like an audio comic book. It's turned out to be something that I'm really happy to have done because I flexed a different muscles while making it — but if you're one of the kids who liked DETHKLOK, you're going to be able to tell that it's the same dude playing guitar, and Gene Hoglan on drums and Bryan Beller on bass. DETHKLOK has to be a certain kind of sound, but this other thing is whatever it needs to be. I got to pull out a vocoder and do ELO-style things here and there, and there's an instrumental on there that's a total tribute to Vai and Satriani and Yngwie and Steve Morse.

looking forward to this \m/

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    Cool
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Coming off of the second DETHKLOK album which was heavier and darker than the first, BRENDON SMALL'S GALAKTIKON searches for melody (in the vocal) and finds inspiration in modern black metal, QUEEN, FOO FIGHTERS, SOUNDGARDEN, SMASHING PUMPKINS and WEEZER.
    :-?
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited February 2012
    Weezer \m/

That made me laugh
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    As I Lay Dying are currently writing their fifth album and are preparing to enter the studio this April. The producer, title, art and all other details will be released over the next few months. Fans can expect to hear new material this summer as the band performs as part of the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival.
    I love winning with women
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    As I Lay Dying are currently writing their fifth album and are preparing to enter the studio this April. The producer, title, art and all other details will be released over the next few months. Fans can expect to hear new material this summer as the band performs as part of the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival.
    awesome
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Fuck yes!
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Cattle Decapitation wrapped up recording their new album last week and have returned home for a couple weeks before heading out for their European tour with Suffocation! The album was produced, engineered, mixed and mastered by Dave Otero of Denver's Flatline Audio. The humans of earth can expect a much more updated production, complete with some surprising guest appearances and the kind of musical exploration that garnered the band droves of new fans with 2009's The Harvest Floor. Once again, Cattle Decapitation gives us more extravagantly intense artwork from artist Wes Benscoter and the CD/LP layout are as over the top as the album's concept itself.

Some of the track titles on the new album include: Forced Gender Reassignment, A Living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat, and The Carbon Stampede. All of the details from the new album such as, cover art, track list, guest appearances, and pre-order info will be revealed in the coming months.
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    Fuck yes!
    World renowned hard rock band High On Fire will release its new studio album De Vermis Mysteriis on April 3 via eOne Music. Recorded in Salem, Massachusetts' GodCity studios with producer and Converge guitarist Kurt Ballou, the 10 song effort -- touted as "direct, eye-opening and powerfully supernatural" -- is the band's sixth studio recording and the follow up to 2010's Snakes for the Divine which debuted at #62 on the Billboard Top 200 and has been called "wonderful" by The New York Times and "an exhilarating rush" by The Chicago Tribune.

De Vermis Mysteriis (or "Mysteries of the Worm") takes its title from a fictional grimoire created by Psycho author Robert Bloch and incorporated by H. P. Lovecraft into the lore of the Cthulhu Mythos (Lovecraft mentioned De Vermis Mysteriis as one of the books that "repeat the most hellish secrets learnt by early man"). The album carries a deeply mystical undercurrent, incorporating fantastical themes and lyrics detailing, among other things, time travel, a serum called liao that is made out of a black lotus and "a Jesus twin who can see the past through his ancestors' eyes." And that's just scratching the surface!

Musically, De Vermis Mysteriis is absolutely explosive, showcasing the California power trio's thundering roar and expanded harmonic and rhythmic palettes while the songs move confidently through multiple riffs and movements. High On Fire construct tough, burly stoner metal that is at once devastatingly epic and mercilessly metallic as superstar guitarist Matt Pike's sizzling ax and avenging-angel riffs fuse with Des Kensel's double-kick-drum onslaught and Jeff Matz's concrete crushing, Burton-esque bass guitar. Over the course of forty-five minutes, High On Fire have created an amalgamation of fantastical lyrical ideas and brute force musicianship anchored in an endlessly captivating, punkishly frantic sound. Simply put, the band generates awesome on demand and has a virtual chokehold on monolithic-sounding, masterfully crafted epic music. High On Fire is a savage bull in the china shop of modern metal.

When asked for comment on De Vermis Mysteriis, Pike somewhat cryptically replied, "Prepare for your dark journey."

The track listing for High On Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis is as follows:

01. Serums of Liao
    02. Bloody Knuckles
    03. Fertile Green
    04. Madness of an Architect
    05. Interlude
    06. Spiritual Rites
    07. King of Days
    08. De Vermis Mysteriis
    09. Romulus and Remus
    10. Warhorn

FUCK YEAH!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    This one looks and sounds like it's going back in the Sleep direction. Very excited.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    New HoF \m/
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Fucking excited. Although I'm not a big fan of the way they put their logo on the album. Yeah, I'm kind of a whiny bitch when it comes to that shit, but the way they put the band log makes it looked like it was shooped on at the last minute.
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    Best album cover so far this year.
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    It does look like they just kinda put it on after they were finished but either way it looks badass. \m/
  • DreamtheaterDreamtheater Posts: 1,088 just the tip
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    The end sounds like Cyanide by Metallica lol
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG