Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official 2024 Detroit Lions Thread**

Comments

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,283 mod
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Look at the video of Harrison's hits. He doesn't even try to wrap up. That's bullshit that needs to stop.
    because a cb/ saftey's job is not only to make tackles but keep receivers from actually catching the ball, its been part of football since day one and doesnt need to stop...
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,723 mod
    Harrison isn't a defensive back? Please tell me why he has to hit him above the shoulders instead of in the chest.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Harrison isn't a defensive back? Please tell me why he has to hit him above the shoulders instead of in the chest.
    whatever its the same with linebackers in coverage as well.... and from the video it seems like he hits in the shoulders alot, which is fine. if the ban something it should only be intentional helmet to helmet hits
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,723 mod
    Which is basically what those hits are....he didn't even pretend to use his arms...
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Which is basically what those hits are....he didn't even pretend to use his arms...
    well it looks like hes attempting to use his shoulder to hit the upper chest/ shoulder, which is how you hit, wrapping isnt neccessary when you both are going that fast. some helmet to helmet contact might happen but its not deliberate or different from what any other defensive player has been doing for 50 years. the leauge is just freaking out nowadays because of our awareness and better technology of determining concussions
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Look at his movement on the Massaquoi hit, in what way does that look natural? He was aiming for helmet to helmet.
    image Photobucket
    Look at his movement on the Massaquoi hit, in what way does that look natural? He was aiming for helmet to helmet.
    well if you ever played before you would realize that when people and the games pase is moving that fast then sometimes you just react the best way you can and i saw no problem with that hit and dont see how it was a deliberate helmet to helmet. in football that is known as a good hit and every football player on sportcenter agreed
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    It's illegal to lead with your head and make contact with the other player's helmet. Leading with your head into the opponent's chest is fine, but into the other player's helmet, no. That's how it should be and that's how it is.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    I played on both sides of the line up until high school, I got pretty good headaches. But all I see is a guy running headfirst into a play, nothing to do with the pace imo.
    image Photobucket
    im still trying to picture running like full speed at someone, dive to make a tackle and leadin with anything but your head...i mean what would that even look like? i guess you could like shoulder bump them but thats about it. How you make a tackle is leading with your head. you dont tackle with your head, but u almost have to lead with it. I played football for 7 years as a outside linbacker and tight end and i gave those hits and recieved them and that was encouraged. the only reason why it is worse in the nfl is becuase they are much bigger and hence cause more damage. its not harrison's fault his hits are devastating, hes a big dude....like i said though deliberate helmet to helmet hits should be penalized and acted upon
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,283 mod
    It's illegal to suck dick on the football field, but Tony Romo does it anyway.

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,602 spicy boy
    It's illegal to lead with your head and make contact with the other player's helmet. Leading with your head into the opponent's chest is fine, but into the other player's helmet, no. That's how it should be and that's how it is.
    no its not...if you make helmet to helmet contact and the player can see it coming its not illegal
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    nola i also played football for a number of years and idk where you went to school at but leading with your head is absolutely not encouraged in most circles. it is not only dangerous for the person receiving the hit but the one giving it as well. not just concussions but permanent brain damage and death (which has happened)

as mentioned by the announcer in the video of harrison, the runner wasnt even turned around yet IE defenseless. if harrison really cant take down scrawny receivers who arent even aware of him without helmet to helmet blows he should leave the NFL and work on his basic tackling skills.
    i hate this defenselss shit...the lions got a bad call on them earlier this year there was a flag for hitting a defenseless wide out and it was a totally clean hit
    what arent u people understanding? in order to preform a tackle you have to lead with your head. i mean your crouching over and leaning into another person, what is the furthest thing out from you at that point? your head. now im not saying you actually tackle with your head, you tackle with your shoulder, but in order for your shoulder to make contact you have to lead with your head. unless you wanna hug the other player....
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    no its not...if you make helmet to helmet contact and the player can see it coming its not illegal
    Yes. It is.
    what arent u people understanding? in order to preform a tackle you have to lead with your head. i mean your crouching over and leaning into another person, what is the furthest thing out from you at that point? your head. now im not saying you actually tackle with your head, you tackle with your shoulder, but in order for your shoulder to make contact you have to lead with your head. unless you wanna hug the other player....
    Leading with your head isn't really the issue. It's hitting with helmet to helmet contact.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    like ive said 3 times i have no problem with them punishing direct helmet to helmet hits. but that has been banned already, so whats all this new talk of 'devastating hits' mean?
    edited October 2010
    Yes. It is.
    Leading with your head isn't really the issue. It's hitting with helmet to helmet contact.
    dude i watched them explain it on nfl network tonight..helmet to helmet contact is legal as long as the player can see it coming
    Well I can understand that..
    This has been a weird week..it's like a few players banned together and said "Let's just all make some head to head hits this week to switch things up."
    image Photobucket