Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official 2024 Detroit Lions Thread**

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    No Fun League
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,723 mod
    No Fun League
    You would say this.

This wouldn't be a problem if the refs would actually enforce the rules. Helmet to helmet contact is illegal.

Existing rule 12, 2, 7g bans "using any part of a player's helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/hairline parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily," and also states, "violent or unnecessary use of the helmet is impermissible against any opponent." Any opponent, including the ballcarrier.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,603 spicy boy
    Helmet to helmet contact is illegal.

only if the player can't see it coming....
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Helmet to helmet contact is illegal.

only if the player can't see it coming....
    At what point can you judge that the player can see it coming?

When his head is in that direction?

Hell, if sight is enough to make it legal, why not sound? Then when a receiver can hear the impending helmet to helmet contact, he should duck and then run it for a touchdown.

C'mon, that's ridiculous.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    im just stating the rule homie.....watch nfl all access from today they explain it
    It's not like they can't be wrong.

This obscurity on both sides though is an issue. We have to clearly understand what we are debating before we really can debate it.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i think the rules are fine the way they are and the NFL is overreacting after a bad week of head injuries. the hit on jackson was legal imo, it looked like #23(forget the name) drove his helmet into deseans chest and the momentum caused his legs to go out and then the helmet slided up and hit him in the head. i just don't want the game to get fucked up cause d-backs are afraid to hit because of suspensions. last week was rare in that it happened 3-4 times, I don't want players to be injured, but i don't want flag football either.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I agree with helmet to helmet penalties when it is blatantly obvious of intent. I'm not sure of the suspension idea yet. And I think QBs and kickers need to have the skirt removed because they play the game to they should have to get hit to.

Oo and jl I say No Fun League because of all the celebration things being taken away and the crazy amount of penalties they throw out there now
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    And I think QBs and kickers need to have the skirt removed because they play the game to they should have to get hit to.
    Ok I agree with this totally. I mean it is one thing to protect the QB but ive seen a game (I think Steelers vs someone) where a defender fell to the ground and lightly bumped his leg and got a roughing the passer penalty. That was bullshit.
    i really don't even see why this is a big deal...all iv heard on the radio and tv from current or former players that there was nothing wrong with the hits over the weekend....as Brian urlacher said it FREAKING FOOTBALL
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    Steelers LB Harrison mulling retirement after $75K fine for hit

James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Harrison was excused from Wednesday's practice after meeting with Tomlin about the $75,000 fine Harrison incurred for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

Hours after he was fined Tuesday, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. He was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Carucci: Former safety's solution
    The NFL fined three players Tuesday for helmet-to-helmet hits, but former safety Rodney Harrison believes only suspensions will stop the trend, he told Vic Carucci. More ...

» Blog: NFL Network analysts' reaction
    » Blog: Some say Robinson's hit was legal
    » Watch: Debate about league's response
    » Watch: Davis, Mora talk tackle technique Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    He's just being a drama queen.
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,664 master of ceremonies
    Joe Paterno always knows the answer.

The NFL is upping the ante yet again on helmet-to-helmet hits and other vicious collisions, promising even more aggressive fines and suspensions in the wake of a particularly violent weekend. The NCAA has been concerned with the same problem lately, led by the Big Ten.

And if it's really serious about it, Joe Paterno has an idea from his own playing days at Brown, right after the war (Second World, that is, not Civil). If you want players to stop leading with their heads, Paterno told reporters during Tuesday's Big Ten conference call, lose the facemasks already:

"I've been saying for years, we should get rid of the facemask. ... It's a weapon, guys are fearless."

Predictably, the whippersnappers in the ranks – namely 35-year-old Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, who opted for maximum coverage as an All-American linebacker in the mid-'90s – aren't so enthusiastic about the idea. But more than a few people who actually study head injuries aren't so dismissive: As the Wall Street Journal reported last year, the growing research on the long-term effects of repeated head shots, even when helmets are involved, have led some experts to conclude that the protection does more harm than good by making head-cracking too routine. Troy Aikman is down with that, and he knows from head injuries.

Of course, helmets were introduced largely to combat the "boy-killing, man-mutilating" violence that nearly got the game banned outright at the turn of the 20th Century. The facemask wasn't standard until the mid-'50s, well after the end of JoePa's career at Brown and into his tenure as a young assistant at Penn State. You can play football without a facemask.

While we're at it, Paterno would also like to know whatever happened to those canary dishes, the Andrews Sisters? Used to be a Joe could always get togged to the bricks for a jolly up in this town, even if he was a cement mixer. But these days, every night's in the cave with a platter and a glass of dog soup, patting his alderman like some wheat lunger.

- - -
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    edited October 2010
    Got this off yahoo,
    Top 5 Overrated Player:

1. Terrell Owens
    2. Tony Romo
    3. Mark Sanchez
    4. Albert Haynesworth
    5. Eli Manning

from a poll of 269 players.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,723 mod
    James Harrison is being a crybaby. It's not like he's the only defensive player affected by this.

There's no way he retires. He's just blowing smoke out of his ass.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    ^^ lol yah true but its funneh
    i understand why hes upset...he got fined for doing what he is payed to do...either way he is a hell of a player
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    i understand why hes upset...he got fined for doing what he is payed to do...either way he is a hell of a player
    fukking Harrison was 2008 Defensive Player of the year and he has superbowl ringz fukk y00z sayin heez cryz babziez

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

fukk y00z niggaz i neva saidz hez was cryz babziez...i agreed f00lz