Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

three questions for the person below you

Comments

• Options
    DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    You're really gonna compare Maiden's popularity and success to Avenged and Five Finger :| I get where you're coming from calling them cheesy but that's just a gross over exaggeration
  • Options
    MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,558 spicy boy
    Speaking of A7X... there was this poser wannabe metal kid whose favorite bands were A7X and Born of Osiris... One day me and another friend are talking about metal. The poser comes by and is like," let me play this song for you. Its my favorite A7X song. Flash of the Blade"

We're both like "you know this is an Iron Maiden song right?"

Hes like "no way!?"

The urge to hit him was strong.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Options
    Me_Me_ Posts: 13,701 salt miner
    Actually ROTAM might be the greatest "Heavy Metal" song of All Time
    Fucking song has it all
  • Options
    JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,700 mod
    I'd put Powerslave 3rd on my list of best Maiden albums, at best. The highs on that album are great but it's a little uneven otherwise.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Options
    POM is awesome..NOTB..Killers...All those albums are great
  • Options
    MC with the disagree...you're nuts
  • Options
    SATANSATAN Posts: 25,815 spicy boy
    Rutabaga said:
    Thats like saying no one gave a fuck about Black Sabbath because the Tony Martin era sold like shit.
    Sabbath were "Ozzy's old band" when I was a teenager. They had been floundering since Dio left the first time in the early 80s. Even the marketing stuff using Sabbath on commercials and movies only happened after the Osbourne's got control of Sabbath. They were never big on radio. Without Sharon maintaining interest in their old drug-addled "singer", they would be playing obscure metal fests like Blue Oyster Cult or Alice Cooper or Coven or Pentagram instead of going out with a big worldwide farewell tour

So yeah. That's exactly what I mean
  • Options
    WOKE said:
    Rutabaga said:
    WOKE said:
    WOKE said:
    Yeah fuck Bruce. Sharon notwithstanding,  And before that tour, nobody gave a shit about IronMaiden outside of Sum41 fans. 
    Yea its not like Maiden are one of the biggest and best bands in metal
    Revisionist history. Nobody gave a fuck about them for years until that tour. Look up the club dates they played all through the 90s with Blaze Bailey on setlist.fm. Ozzfest did well the year before with a reformed Priest so they dusted Maiden off and put a fresh coat of paint on Maiden trying to replicate it and they pretty much torpedoed the tour
    The Bailey era toured small venues because Bailey sucked and no one gave a fuck. When Bruce came back - 6 years before Ozzfest btw - they went straight back to touring arenas. 

I guess. Regardless, it was a shitty way to treat someone that pretty much tossed a bunch of money in their laps. And it was sad to watch people turn on Ozzy over it. I get that their show over saturated them, but dude was pretty much the face of metal until that point and broke 3 decades worth of bands by having awesome openers. Sum 41 wears some Maiden shirts, Ozzfest gives em a call, they talk shit on Sabbath, Sharon has some Mexican day laborers toss eggs at Dicklesson, and all of the sudden none of that matters. Now I get 20 somethings telling me how great Maiden are. Tbh, people are even kinda ridiculous about Sharon. Feel how you want about her, but without her Ozzy and Sabbath's legacy would've been severely diminished. Keep in mind that Sabbath fell apart. Without Ozzy maintaining popularity, they would've drifted into relative obscurity. Instead, people pined for a reunion because Sabbath needed Ozzy. Sharon hired Randy Rhoades. Sharon created fucking Ozzfest. 

Im sure my opinion of Maiden is kinda biased because I fucking hate their music. It's always been over dramatic and wanky to me. They appealed to greasy mullet kids in their heyday. Like FFDP or A7X. They belong to people like Eddie Trunk. I was pretty happy not having to hear about them. To have them make their big comeback on Ozzy's dime and turn on him, then have people use them as the flag to fly in opposition to the Osbournes fucking sucks
    Dio Sabbath was incredibly popular too. Their run as Heaven and Hell sold a lot
    That's funny cuz it's not even the first time Dio came back and it didn't work the first time because interest in Sabbath was already low. I saw Dio in 2001. I got tickets from my college radio station and the people at the club didn't even check the guest list before letting me in because there wasn't anyone there. I walked in to a crowd of about 50 people. Sabbath getting put on Ozzfest made them relevant again. People tiring of them playing with Ozzy all over again made them a market for having a Dio reunion tour. 
  • Options
    Dude Powerslave is a good album but from start to finish it's not. It has some great Shit on it but all the way through its inconsistent NOTB, Piece Of Mind, and Seventh Son> imo
  • Options
    MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Piece of mind was always my least favorite from the 80s stuff. Quest for fire is a fuggin stinker
  • Options
    I'll give you that but other than that song it has some amazing stuff. Obv the Trooper, but To Tame a Land, Still Life and Where Eagles Dare are incredible Maiden tunes. It's actually my favorite album by them. 
  • Options
    JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,700 mod
    Revelations and Die With Your Boots on though. Album is loaded even with Quest For Fire and Sun and Steel on there (even though I like the latter one).
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Options
    FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,410 spicy boy
    WOKE said:
    Rutabaga said:
    Thats like saying no one gave a fuck about Black Sabbath because the Tony Martin era sold like shit.
    Sabbath were "Ozzy's old band" when I was a teenager. They had been floundering since Dio left the first time in the early 80s. Even the marketing stuff using Sabbath on commercials and movies only happened after the Osbourne's got control of Sabbath. They were never big on radio. Without Sharon maintaining interest in their old drug-addled "singer", they would be playing obscure metal fests like Blue Oyster Cult or Alice Cooper or Coven or Pentagram instead of going out with a big worldwide farewell tour

So yeah. That's exactly what I mean
    So whats Maiden's deal? Like i said, once Bruce rejoined the band years before Sharon "threw them a bone" they were selling out the very same venues Ozzfest went to. So to me it seems like Maiden was doing Sharon a favor not the other way around.
  • Options
    What?

Are you saying Maiden were selling out arenas with Bruce before Ozzfest?
  • Options
    They were touring arenas and ampitheaters with Bruce before Ozzfest, yes.
  • Options
    MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Powerslave was my favorite but tbh i havent listened to Maiden in some years I need to revisit the 80's stuff soon 
  • Options
    Weird. I had to look at Wikipedia to check and I guess you're right. I had no idea. I don't remember that at all. Maybe it's because most of the touring was overseas, but it says they played MSG in 03. Must have smoked that one away. 
  • Options
    Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,470 moneytalker
    I don't even get into Maiden but Jake is right about this one. Maiden didn't need Ozzfest.
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • Options
    Yeah I guess I get the L on this one
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Nah, you're still right. Bruce was being a dickhead. As far as i know nothing has really ever surfaced as to why Bruce was going at Ozzy and his camp. You'd think if something happened backstage that justified it either Maiden would have said something or let it leak anonymously through blabbermouth or something.

I just got triggered cuz Maiden.