Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• XenoXeno Posts: 21,032 master of ceremonies
    I haven't played much of Mass Effect let alone 2 or 3.

I have the original Mass Effect... if I wanted to get into it should I play the first one or skip it and play ME2?
    Play ME1 first, it's a much shorter game than ME2 and it gives a much more solid base for ME2's plot. I played ME2 without playing ME1, then played ME1, then played ME2 again, and it's much better in order.
  • ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    Picked up The Darkness 2 yesterday and this shit was \m/
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    I still have to beat the first one :-<
    imageimage
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    Amalur is really fucking good. It's like Skyrim meets fable
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    David Jaffe is leaving Eat Sleep Play and starting his own company.

A week before Twisted Metal for PlayStation 3 hits store shelves, it was revealed that longtime series creator David Jaffe was leaving developer Eat Sleep Play and creating a brand new studio in San Diego, Calif. We caught up with Jaffe in Las Vegas this week at DICE to talk about how he feels now that Twisted Metal is done and what his plans are for the future.

Game Informer: How do you feel physically and mentally after shipping Twisted Metal?

David Jaffe: On one hand I thought I would have been done had that “touchdown dance” about a month ago. I kept telling everyone I’m almost done. But it never ends. We’re on the day one patch and obsessing on the forums over people playing the demo. Until I leave Eat Sleep Play officially, which I haven’t yet, it will still be a full-time job.

In terms of saying the disc is done and ready to ship out to stores. I feel great. For Twisted Metal we really left it all on the field. We really did. It’s the best one we ever made. It’s the game I always wanted to make with [Eat Sleep Play Co-founder] Scott Campbell and the team. It represents a culmination so far of my growth personally as a game designer.

Of all the games you’ve been involved in, was this the most draining for you

Yes, but that’s every game now. The only game that was a real breeze to make, and it was also our biggest failure, was Calling All Cars. That was really simple to make. By now I have enough experience to say, ‘Oh, you’re making a game, alright get ready, because it’s f*cking hard.” If you want to do it and push yourself, it’s just a hard job. I wouldn’t say [Twisted Metal] was the most, but it’s par for the course.

What’s happening with Eat Sleep Play?

We sadly had to lay off eight people. I never owned a company before. I never had to do this and frankly I wasn’t even there. I thought we were going to do it one day and Scott said for reasons out of his control we had to do it a day I wasn’t there. To me that’s the biggest story about this.

I will be leaving the company. Scott has been itching to get into iPhone and Android games for a while. I love those kinds of games, but the article that ran in Salt Lake misrepresented me by saying I wanted to do casual games. I love those games, and one day I may want to make them, but I’m very interested in the browser space as well as the next-gen space. But I will be on Twisted Metal until the end of March at the moment and probably later. We’re working on patches and playing the game all the time and tuning things.

When did you decide you wanted to move on?

About a year and a half ago. Unless it was a really bad situation, which this wasn’t, I would never leave a game in mid-production. Certainly not a game I love as much like Twisted Metal. Scott and I wanted to make different games. We started realizing about this a year ago, and that’s when I had in my head this was going to be the last game I do with this amazing team.

What’s the future hold for the Twisted Metal franchise?

Right now there are no plans. I always thought it was going to be a great game. But we weren’t nursing these illusions that we were making Call of Duty in terms of sales. If it’s a big enough hit I’m sure Sony won’t let it wither on the vine. But right now there are no plans at all. There’s no DLC plans, there’s no sequel or expansion plans. We have to wait and see how it does.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    edited February 2012
    What’s the future for David Jaffe?

I’m building a team in San Diego. The two things that have me really excited is a big new IP in the next-gen space and browser-based action game. There hasn’t been a game in the browser space in my opinion that speaks to players and gamers that I usually make games for. There has been a game or a monetization model that speaks to that crowd. I’m really excited about that space as well as next-gen. I have an IP in mind that I think can be a really cool new franchise

My plan right now is to get Twisted Metal out next week. Take two weeks off to do nothing. After that, then two to six weeks in hardcore design/pitch prep mode. At the best case, we’re about two months away, and at worse case about eight to ten months away, from revealing the company, the name, and the key people, etc.

How many people are you thinking about in terms of the size of your new company?

It depends, if we do the browser thing, my guess it will be between 24 and 40. But if it’s the big next-gen IP, we’re talking substantially more.

For your new IP, were you thinking of going exclusive or multiplatform?

Anybody who knows who I am knows who I am because of the kindness and faith of Sony. So I’m certainly loyal to that company. If they would like to have me I’d be honored and grateful to work with them.

I’ve always been very open about being an Xbox and Nintendo fan, too. It’s more to the point about who’s the right partner. But again it’s very new. The equivalent is something like just logging into my new online dating account. I just signed up. There’s nothing right now.

How much did you learn from starting up Eat Sleep Play?

The top three things I learned from Eat Sleep Play are that it’s better to be scared and unsure and to learn to sit with that fear and be ok with it then to make hasty choices because you want to make a decision and be safe again. There’s not a single regret I have with Eat Sleep Play and I would do everything again.

I learned that as much as I have kicked and screamed in terms of not wanting to be a manager, there is still a role called ‘creative leadership’ and that was something I probably neglected in the past. Eat Sleep Play taught me that if you’re sitting in one of the chairs of decision making, it’s not just creative you also have to nurture and take care of other talents that work with you.

I think I also learned that games are both too big and I’m too much of a control freak to make them remotely before. Moving into late PS2 and of course PlayStation 3, having that gap of space between you and the team is not something I want to do anymore.

What happened with you and that GameTrailers interview?

I love those guys at GameTrailers, but they have four minutes of me talking about Twisted Metal. Pretty dry stuff. Then suddenly there’s clearly a cut, and then I’m talking about vulgar sh*t. I’m ok with that. I’m a big boy. That’s my responsibly, but they may have wanted to put it in context.

Let’s be clear, there’s nothing about what I said that was acceptable and I regret it. I let my guard down too much and I don’t talk like that. I cuss, I have a potty mouth, but I take issue with being called a misogynist or sexist. I am neither. I was thoughtless and probably offended a number of people in general. My biggest regret is there are women I love working with in the industry and the fact I may have offended them I feel terrible about that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/08/the-future-of-david-jaffe.aspx
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,715 spicy boy
    that sucks....
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    i think its for the best. in the interview david said that the co-founder of eat sleep play wants to do iphone and android games and he wants to continue with console games so he started his own company. i just hope his new IP that he mentioned kicks ass and that he keeps twisted metal going.
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,032 master of ceremonies
    Speaking of developers leaving, whatever happened to the 2 creators of Infinity Ward who left the company after MW2?
    it just sucks that there may not be another Twisted Metal, and if there is one, it may not have Jaffe working on it.
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    Rocksteady isnt making a TMNT game.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Rocksteady isnt making a TMNT game.
    Awwww
    How long is Portal 2?
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,664 master of ceremonies
    God damn I forgot how amazing God of War 3 is. About to kick some Hercules ass.
    edited February 2012
    There's a rumor that MS is experimenting with a controller w/ a touchscreen.
    If its true i guess Shane wont be playing games no mo.
    I won't buy any systems that have anything to do with touchscreens
    imageimage
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    Wow, Shane was right.

DLC Week of 2/14 - Gold Star My Heart w/ Rick Astley, Heart, Mr. Big and Poison!

Hey gang,

This Valentine’s Day, Harmonix proudly presents a collection of time-honored tunes about love and heartache… the “Gold Star My Heart Pack”!

Heart’s power ballad, “Alone,” from 1987’s Bad Animals kicks off the pack. This special collection also includes Mr. Big’s tender acoustic number 1 hit “To Be With You,” from their 1991 album, Lean into It. “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” Poison’s now classic rock and roll ballad is also included. And what would this special Valentine’s Day delight be without Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up”?

This pack – which features something for everyone, whether you’re longing for love or snuggled up together with that special someone – will be available on February 14th. These timeless classics will also be available for individual download. Play them with someone you love.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii™and PlayStation®3 system (February 14th, 2012):

• Heart – “Alone” O
    • Mr. Big – “To Be With You” X
    • Poison – “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” O X
    • Rick Astley – “Never Gonna Give You Up” O

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system February 15th)

Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$6.99, £3.49 UK, €5.29 EU (560 Microsoft Points, 700 Wii Points™) for “Gold Star My Heart Pack”
    $1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points, 200 Wii Points™) per song
    $0.99 USD (100 Wii Points™/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewYj7kZAWQc&amp;feature=player_embedded

Here are the Rock Band Network tracks released on Xbox 360 on Thursday, 2/9/2012:

Glam

Christian Death - "Narcissus Metamorphosis Of" (160 MSP)

Metal

Alestorm - "Shipwrecked (2x Bass Pedal)" (160 MSP)
    Codex Alimentarius - "Baptised" (160 MSP)
    Halcyon Way - "Inside Looking Out (The Icon & The Ghost) (2x Bass Pedal)" (80 MSP)
    Machinae Supremacy - "Force Feedback" (160 MSP)
    Solution .45 - "Gravitational Lensing (2x Bass Pedal)" (80 MSP)
    Watain - "Underneath the Cenotaph (2x Bass Pedal)" (160 MSP)

Nu-Metal

Powerman 5000 - "Do Your Thing" (160 MSP)

Pop/Dance/Electronic

Radidsh - "Wild Yellowness" (80 MSP)

Pop-Rock

Blame Ringo - "Garble Arch" (80 MSP)
    Blame Ringo - "In A Hurricane" (80 MSP)

Prog

Rishloo - "Scissorlips" (80 MSP)

Reggae/Ska

Sunny Side Up - "Welcome to the Skalocaust" (80 MSP)

Rock

Josh Blackburn - "I'm Dirt" (160 MSP)

And here are the PS3 RBN Releases for Tuesday, 2/14/2012 (North America) and Wednesday, 2/15/2012:

Amberian Dawn - "My Only Star" ($1.99) - Metal
    The Motion Sick - "30 Lives" ($0.99) - Indie Rock
    Jerry Naylor - "All I Want Is You" ($1.99) - Rock
    Jukebox the Ghost - "So Let Us Create" ($1.99) - Pop-Rock
    Magnus 'SoulEye' Pålsson - "Potential for Anything" ($0.99) - Pop/Dance/Electronic
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    There's a rumor that MS is experimenting with a controller w/ a touchscreen.
    If its true i guess Shane wont be playing games no mo.
    at least the Xbox will have solid games behind it. Also like i said it could be useful for RPG'S with mini maps and quest logs but other than that i don't see a practical use for it.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    its true, nes and snes were great pads...everything since can suck it.. ilove n64 gams but the pad fukkin sucked