Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Say Something Random (NSFW)

1578657875788578957905792»

Comments

• Options
    Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,470 moneytalker
    Everything is a struggle. Learn to embrace it. 

You choose a career in music and thought that shit was gonna be easy?
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • Options
    MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,559 spicy boy
    Everything is a struggle. Learn to embrace it. 

You choose a career in music and thought that shit was gonna be easy?
    I thought I'd at least have a career and make enough to live somewhat comfortably yes

And I thought I'd at least be able to find SOME job now that I'm transitioning out. 

I'm not asking for a six figure income here. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Options
    SATANSATAN Posts: 25,815 spicy boy
    At some point you’re going to have to realize that your image goes a long way with these interviews. I fought it for years, showing up with long hair, funny facial hair, etc It doesn’t work. People pigeonhole you and almost immediately disregard your qualifications. The beard and hair will probably need to go before you’ll get the job you crave. At least to get your foot in the door
  • Options
    SATAN said:
    At some point you’re going to have to realize that your image goes a long way with these interviews. I fought it for years, showing up with long hair, funny facial hair, etc It doesn’t work. People pigeonhole you and almost immediately disregard your qualifications. The beard and hair will probably need to go before you’ll get the job you crave. At least to get your foot in the door
    I cant even get interviews though, or the ones I do have are over the phone. I'm willing to cut my hair and shave if I actually can get my foot in the door
  • Options
    edited July 3
    But also like, Im applying for warehouses and factory jobs too, and cant get those. Surely they dont care about that stuff
  • Options
    Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,471 spicy boy
    I wonder showed up for an interview at a deli in a collard polo and the guy started the interview by saying I just wasn't a fit for their crew and it was best if we didn't waste each other's time. 

I was coming from a Job where I was a GM for a restaurant. I was definitely credentialed for a deli lol
  • Options
    edited July 3
    Sometimes when people make vague tweets I comment "spill it will" out of muscle memory
  • Options
    EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,612 jayfacer
    SATAN said:
    Not a job worth working if it takes away your identity and self expression.

Learn a trade and not only will you be able to be whoever the fuck you want, but it will also pay infinitely more than the bullshit corporate jobs that force you to bow down. Welding, plumbing, barbering, electrician, pick one.
  • Options
    SATANSATAN Posts: 25,815 spicy boy
    I’m not good at any of that shit and have a family so I have to do what I have to do. Deep down I’m a starving artist. I’d never be able to make money with my natural talents because I’m too weird. I’m not really image conscious anyway. My long hair and beards are more from laziness, sensitive skin and depression than any statement. Only got one tattoo. At my current job, I got all clean cut for the interview, but since I’ve established myself with the firm and everyone likes me now I have my hair growing out and a foot long beard again. I’ve made a thing out of wearing novelty Hawaiian shirts and everyone knows I used to do standup comedy so I get away with being a weirdo that way. 
  • Options
    FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,410 spicy boy
    I wonder showed up for an interview at a deli in a collard polo and the guy started the interview by saying I just wasn't a fit for their crew and it was best if we didn't waste each other's time. 

I was coming from a Job where I was a GM for a restaurant. I was definitely credentialed for a deli lol
    Yeah MC don't beat yourself up too much, shit is like this even if you are trying to get a job in the same field sometimes. I've walked out of interviews before because they've acted like I wasn't qualified for a slightly different version of the role I've been doing for 6 years. 
  • Options
    FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,410 spicy boy
    SATAN said:
    I’m not good at any of that shit and have a family so I have to do what I have to do. Deep down I’m a starving artist. I’d never be able to make money with my natural talents because I’m too weird. I’m not really image conscious anyway. My long hair and beards are more from laziness, sensitive skin and depression than any statement. Only got one tattoo. At my current job, I got all clean cut for the interview, but since I’ve established myself with the firm and everyone likes me now I have my hair growing out and a foot long beard again. I’ve made a thing out of wearing novelty Hawaiian shirts and everyone knows I used to do standup comedy so I get away with being a weirdo that way. 
    Bingo. Cut the hair to get the job and grow it out after. The key is being liked though. I have my tattoos out, beard, earrings in and no one gives a fuck because my boss likes me. 
  • Options
    edited July 4
    Yeah definitely don't beat yourself up over it. 

I can doninsurance anywhere, but I'm trying to transfer my skills into a field that my experience translates too. Something like a territory manager. But I'm constantly beat out by people with less experience but they have some bullshit degree. 

Also don't listen to Eric. Trade jpbea are great but they are mostly felons lol. Nothing wrong with that, but you'd be shocked by how many people building your buildings and fixing your cars are high as shit lol. 

Your identity isn't the way you look or dress. It's who you are and that shines through without worrying about the way you dress. Anyone thinks you are expressing yourself because of your long hair or the way you dress is probably just insecure honestly. 

A medium stress office job that provides stability can definitely be worth changing up the look. Especially because you are only there 40 hours a week. 

Not saying you should or shouldn't really though. Do what you want, but just know that it's not going to change who you are if you do. 
  • Options
    edited July 5
    And those “felons” are making more than shitty restrictive corporate jobs and provide more financial stability wit less bowing down, but yea don’t listen to me lmao what do I know that’s only exactly what MC has been saying he’s looking for. I can tell he doesn’t want to cut his hair and do that bullshit but it’s an “I have to.” thing and I’m telling him that he doesn’t. High dollar lanes exist without giving up who you are and hating yourself for it.

I’m working towards a field that can bring in 6 figures a year and I’m head to toe covered in tattoos wit long hair and metal all over my face. There’s no “cleaning up” even if I shaved my head like a good lil bitch. Record squeaky clean too. So your felon point is irrelevant and honestly sounds like straight up boomer talk. Cause even if there is felons in the trade field, who gives a fuck if they’re making more than the white collar squares in corporate and also getting to live their life and be who the fuck they are while doing it. 

And I’m not telling MC to copy me and go be a barber, that’s why I said pick a trade any trade and go from there because they all offer similarly high pay and freedom and are ultimately better for long term sanity and mental health. I’m never gonna feel good about my paycheck if I had to bow down and change who I actually am for it.
  • Options
    Also, long hair and a beard can look extremely fucking clean and professional anyways. I mean that’s the goal wit a good cut regardless lmao. Don’t cut it off jus get that shit trimmed, shaped, and lined up real nice, fade it underneath so it looks like a clean ass cut when it’s tied up, etc.
  • Options
    Like something like this. No homo but that shit is clean as bleach and he has hair past his shoulders and a full beard. There’s nothing mangy or scruffy about this. Maintenance is key cause this don’t look like somebody unemployable for looking too “rough” other than the most uptight miserable places on Earth.

• Options
    MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,636 master of ceremonies

This is your calling, MC. “MC’s Metal Dawgs”