Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Best Venues - and the worst...

drewvichdrewvich Posts: 1,148
edited June 2010 in Off Topic
Piere's of Ft. Wayne, Indiana was voted best nightclub/rock venue in US recently, but I think that is a bunch of bullshit because they will kick you out for moshing! Been past it many times but can't justify spending money on tickets when I can't mosh, fuck that. So that's my vote for worst rock venue ever. No moshing at a rock show automatically kills it for me.

I guess I can't preach to across the country since I'm based in Detroit, but Harpos, The Orbit Room, and The Machine Shop are all great venues. I am kind of partial to The Orbit Room in Grand Rapids, MI. Its basically just a bar and in front of the bar is standing room and then there's a balcony. Every time I've been there the experience has been awesome, It's a clusterfuck of a good time. Only complaint I'd have is that thus far their summer concert season consists of Smashing Pumpkins, Cypress Hill, and Coheed and Cambria. Need to bring some good people out there dammit! Harpos and The Machine Shop are great and are more nationally known and famous for shit thats happened there or their lineup.

Also for a small ass concert venue the Small Planet next to Michigan State University is pretty cool. Was not hype at all because it was just a bunch of college kids that were there to drink and not as much to listen to good music. Saw Nonpoint there, was nuts to see such a big band playing for like 25 people or some shit, expesially since they were with fucking 12 stones and anew revolution.

What are all your favorite and least favorite venues?

Comments

• laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    I am from the boston area. For concerts, I like the Comcast Center in Mansfield, Showcase live in foxboro, Plymouth Memorial Hall in Plymouth, House of Blues, Paradise, BOA Pavillion and TD Garden in Boston. My least favorite is the Middle East in Cambridge...total toilet
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    edited June 2010
    the comcast center kind of sucks, the traffic is crazy. everyone leaves on like one road....took me like 4 hrs to leave and like 1 1/2 hrs to get in last time
  • drewvichdrewvich Posts: 1,148
    I prefer small venues...can only stand to go to big ass amphitheaters when theres a festival going on...
    i like the comcast center because it is outdoors and easy for me to get into and out of (all backroads for me). yes after shows it takes awhile to get out, but the parking is free, so just chill and do some tailgating. no worries
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "Been past it many times but can't justify spending money on tickets when I can't mosh, fuck that. So that's my vote for worst rock venue ever. No moshing at a rock show automatically kills it for me."

That's fucked up.

Best around here is probably Slim's or Thee Parkside, while the worst I've been to is Regency, although it's sound is terrible, everythign else is fantastic.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    I live in Orlando. I've been to House of Blues, Firestone Live, The Social, and Hard Rock Live, so in order from best to worst:

1. Firestone Live
    2. House of Blues
    3. The Social
    4. Hard Rock Live

There are two other small venues that I know of, Lyrica and Backbooth that I've never been to a show for.
    does the sports arena still exist in Orlando? I saw Pantera there in 1992
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Im in Denver, and id have to say

1. The Gothic
    2. The Black Sheep
    3. Fiddlers Green
    4. Bluebird Theater
    5. The Fillmore (which sucks because this is where the "big" metal bands tour. lamb of god, black label society, korn, etc)
    6. Cervantes. The venue itself is meh but it is seriously in the middle of one of Denvers worst ghettos.

I have a few to add to my list this summer, such as the big one, Red Rocks. So we will see how it stacks up.
    I think it is. I'm not too sure about it though.

It's the Amway Arena that used to be called the Orlando Arena. Is that what you're talking about?
    Going to Harpos worries me sometimes. If you arn't used to Detroit, Harpos is not the place for you to go haha. It is in the hood for sure.
    "It's the Amway Arena that used to be called the Orlando Arena. Is that what you're talking about?"

The Sports Arena was a mid size venue. the Orlando Arena was the bigger place where i saw Metallica and Van Halen (where the Magic play)
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Harpos is great for shows though. I wish I was there for Hatebreed.
    image Photobucket
    ^agreed ...Michigan is such a great place for venues...forgot to mention the intersection before..we have so many medium sized good venues that get great acts but in a smaller atmosphere.
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited June 2010
    In Detroit I've been to:

Magic Stick
    Majestic
    The Fillmore
    Fox Theater
    Blondies
    Joe Louis
    Cobo
    Harpos

Then other places in Michigan I've been to Royal Oak Music Theater, Palace and DTE.

Not bad seeing as I'm coming from Toledo every time.
    Locally I've been to Frankies, Headliners, Bijou, and the Zodiac..also the old Toledo Sports Arena, RIP
    image Photobucket
    The only other thing I can think of is the UCF Arena, but I don't think that's it either.
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    Best:

The Galaxy in Santa Ana
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    edited June 2010
    1. Kiefer Lakefront Arena
    2. State Palace Theater
    3. New Orleans Arena
    4. Pete Maravich Assembly Center (P-Mac)
    5. Hard Rock Live (Biloxi)
    6. The Hangar
    7. Varsity Theatre
    8. Baton Rouge River Center/Theater for Performing Arts
    9. Howlin Wolf
    10. House of Blue
    "The only other thing I can think of is the UCF Arena, but I don't think that's it either"

it was 18 years ago, so who knows.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "^agreed ...Michigan is such a great place for venues...forgot to mention the intersection before..we have so many medium sized good venues that get great acts but in a smaller atmosphere."

Rex hates that place
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    intersection is good for some shows...sounds of the underground came through the intersection..