Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

SOOOOOO UNBELIEVABLE

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    "but i still believe these human errors are what makes baseball great"

I will strongly disagree. This and the pace of the game is why I can't watch a game of baseball in one sitting like I can almost every other sport. Instant replay would not eliminate human error. It would ensure that the important call would be gotten right.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    "but i still believe these human errors are what makes baseball great"

Two words: Bill Buckner.
    I love winning with women
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Instant replay would make baseball more drawn out and boring. I wouldn't care to watch the games, but it would be cool to hear the records.
    image Photobucket
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    This is why I don't get so emotional with sports, doesn't even matter anyway Tigers still won the game. People are such drama queens.

Dude got a free Corvette, life can't be too bad.
    image Photobucket
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I don't understand why there's so much demand for instant replays now. Joyce said a hundred times that he called it wrong.
    I love winning with women
    "Instant replay would make baseball more drawn out and boring. I wouldn't care to watch the games, but it would be cool to hear the records."

There are ways to implement instant replay without slowing down the game, something Bud Selig doesn't understand.

"I don't understand why there's so much demand for instant replays now. Joyce said a hundred times that he called it wrong."

There's been calls for instant replay ever since the end of last season. Last postseason had some atrocious missed calls.
    Anybody watch Hawaii vs. Mizzou earlier? Hawaii hit a 2 run homer in the top of the 7th. Game was bawse. Softball Tournament > College World Series. Games are faster and more action packed.
    image Photobucket
    I started watching....and then Michigan got booted from the tournament by fuckin Tennessee. >_<
    NEW YORK -- Commissioner Bud Selig won't reverse an umpire's admitted blown call that cost Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Selig said Thursday that Major League Baseball will look at expanded replay and umpiring, but didn't specifically address umpire Jim Joyce's botched call Wednesday night.

A baseball official familiar with the decision confirmed to The Associated Press that the call was not being reversed. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because that element was not included in Selig's statement.

Joyce said he erred on what would've been the final out in Detroit, where the Tigers beat Cleveland 3-0. The umpire personally apologized to Galarraga and hugged him after the game, then took the field at Comerica Park on Thursday in tears.

"It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the [stuff] out of it," a distraught Joyce said Wednesday night. "I just cost that kid a perfect game."

Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski had said the team wouldn't ask MLB to overturn the call. The mistake denied Galarraga the 21st perfect game in history, and the first for the Tigers.

Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe at first base, but later said he got it wrong. Even in the sports world, where bad calls are part of the mix, this one reached way beyond the lines: the perfect game that wasn't.

Galarraga, who was barely known outside of Detroit before this week, and Joyce, whose career had flourished in relative anonymity, remained trending topics on Twitter more than 12 hours after the game ended. At least one anti-Joyce Facebook page popped up and firejimjoyce.com was launched.

From Derek Jeter to casual fans, opinions poured in.

"I was thinking if the umpire says he made a mistake on replay, I'd call it a no-hitter, perfect game. Just scratch it," St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "If I was Mr. Selig, in the best interest of the game. The guy got it and I'd give him his perfect game. But here again, I should just shut my mouth."

Even presidential spokesman Robert Gibbs weighed in from the White House.

"I hope that baseball awards a perfect game to that pitcher," Gibbs said.

A visibly upset Joyce wiped away tears Thursday as he took the field for the Tigers' series finale against the Cleveland Indians. He and Galarraga met at home plate as the pitcher presented the umpire with the Tigers' lineup card. Joyce shook hands with Galarraga and clapped him on the shoulder.

Leyland said MLB gave Joyce the option to not work Thursday's game, but Joyce chose to stick with his job behind the plate.

Selig said he would "examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features" in the wake of the blown call. He said he'd consult with baseball's labor unions and the game's special committee for on-field matters before announcing any decisions.

Currently, instant replay can be used only for questionable home runs.

Selig also praised Joyce for his handling of the situation afterwards, as well as Galarraga and Tigers manager Jim Leyland.

"The dignity and class of the entire Detroit Tigers organization under such circumstances were truly admirable and embodied good sportsmanship of the highest order," Selig said. "[Galarraga] and Detroit manager Jim Leyland are to be commended for their handling of a very difficult situation.

"I also applaud the courage of umpire Jim Joyce to address this unfortunate situation honestly and directly. Jim's candor illustrates why he has earned the respect of on-field personnel throughout his accomplished career in the Major Leagues since 1989," Selig said.

Michigan lawmakers got into the act on Thursday, lobbying Selig to reverse the call and recognize Galarraga as having thrown a perfect game. Gov. Jennifer Granholm issued a proclamation declaring that Galarraga had indeed pitched a perfect game, while U.S. Rep. John D. Dingell said he'd introduce a congressional resolution asking Major League Baseball to overturn the blown call.

And U.S. Rep Thaddeus G. McCotter, in a letter to Selig obtained by ESPN.com's Amy K. Nelson, asked him to recognize it as a perfect game, saying "only the truth will uphold and honor the integrity of the game; and the truth is that this game was perfect."
    Bud Selig fails... we all know this
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,597 spicy boy
    yeah hes an idiot
    Lol. Oh well. There's still time for him to change his mind, but Bud's a damn stubborn commissioner.
    A horrible one too.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Pete rose for hall of fame!!
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    May the people rise up and take down the evil tyrant by the name of bud selig and may Satan rain acid down his throat for all eternity for not doing what is just.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2010
    Pete Rose is a boss
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page