Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What are you watching right now?

Comments

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    the only non-gateway anime I ever enjoyed was half of a trigun movie my friend showed me a few years ago. it was pretty easy to follow along with. usually people tell me "oh you have to watch it from the beginning" which is like 100 episodes from where im at lol. aint nobody got time for that.
    I love winning with women
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,698 spicy boy
    the only non-gateway anime I ever enjoyed was half of a trigun movie my friend showed me a few years ago. it was pretty easy to follow along with. usually people tell me "oh you have to watch it from the beginning" which is like 100 episodes from where im at lol. aint nobody got time for that.
    Yea, thats why the ones I watch are usually 12-25 episodes total
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    For real? All those cartoons and none of them for kids?
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    anime and I just dont connect. nothing against it. its a cool contribution to art. so many of the fans though.... jesus kill me.
    I love winning with women
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    True detective 2 is pretty eh so far like 6.5 /10 but well see
    adventure time blows cock
    Did you watch tonight's episode? 
    Yeah
    SATAN said:
    The problem with kids anime is they're either like toy/videogame tie ins (like Pokemon, Yugioh, or Beyblade), or they're just action (like DBZ, or Naruto). 

You're best bet for all ages stuff are the Studio Ghibli movies. They're all really good, and good for people at any age. 

The deeper and more complex series are more for adults. Mainly because dark themes, language, minor nudity, and blood. 

You're kids watch the Halloween movies though, right?
    edited June 2015
    That being said, my alltime favorite is Robotech (season 1, also known as Super Dimension Fortess Macross). And I watched it as a kid. 

Its a mecha romance anime. 

The stuff I watched as a kid was like: Robotech, DBZ, Cyborg 009, Yu Yu Hakousho, Ruroni Kenshin, Inuyasha, .hack// (Sign and Legend), Gundam, Naruto, Bobobo-Bo Bo-BoBo, Shaman King, Pokemon, Dual Masters, Yugioh, Digimon... etc. Toonami/4Kids/Fox Kids shit.

You can look up descriptions and reviews for anything at myanimelist.net
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    SATAN said:
    > for kids
    > good anime

pick one
    What's the anime with the giant bunny thing with the umbrella
    What's the anime with the giant bunny thing with the umbrella
    My Neighbor Totoro
    I saw that when I was a kid and really liked it.. Been like 12 years tho 
    Yea its a Hayao Miyazaki/ Studio Ghibli film. All their stuff is great for the most part, for people of all ages. 

They did Spirited Away too. 
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    Kiki's Delivery Service was the first studio ghibli film I seen. Then Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and a couple others
    imageimage
    Maury =))
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    SATAN said:
    I really used to love the original Scooby cartoon, but all these rehashes and reboots all suck. Does Sarah Michelle Gellar still own the rights?
    Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? is the best hands down. Can't beat the original on that. But I will say that Mystery Incorporated is aight. What's New, Scooby-Doo? was okay for a few. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was fucking awesome lol That one where Shaggy and Scooby were the focus and it had Shaggy's uncle making them gadgets and shit was fucking stupid. Can't remember what it was called but it aired on WB. The movies started being pretty gay after Legend of the Vampire. I just wish they would stop money whoring for their crossovers. Like WWE meets Scooby-Doo was fucking gay. 
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,656 spicy boy
    The movie where they have to solve the mystery on the plantation was the goat. 
    edited June 2015
    SATAN said:
    SATAN said:
    Adventure Time>Fagz
    nah. Like I said I like AT, but anime >
    I need a suggestion then. Gimme something that's heady like AT but colorful with cool music that kids would dig. Cuz AT is the only thing everyone in my house enjoys and it would be nice to add something into the mix
    Seriously, if I had to suggest one anime it'd be Cowboy Bebop. Its a space western about a group of rejects/wanderers that gather together on a ship and travel the galaxy as bounty hunters. If you enjoyed Joss Whedon's "Firefly" or Guardians Of The Galaxy, you'll love this. The thing is, it predates Firefly by about 5 years. And to be honest does a lot of things better than both.

First of all, the soundtrack is FANTASTIC. Seriously, the best soundtrack of anything on television. Yoko Kanno, the composer, is brilliant. Its mostly jazz. I never imagined how awesome a spaceship dogfight would be when paired with good jazz music. There's a ton of other music though too like blues, classical, and even some metal. Here's a sample: 

http://youtu.be/l8wWa3O9cUo

Each episode has its own self contained story (usually in the form of a bounty target) but certain antagonists and secondary characters pop in every few episodes to tie together the overarching story. You slowly learn the backstory of each member of the group, all of which is very engrossing.

The director drew a lot of inspiration from the western and film noir genres, so a lot of the japanese quirk that turns people off from anime is missing from this show. Hell, the English voiceover is considered superior to the japanese voice actors because of how westernized it is. 

There's a ton of callbacks to things like Bruce Lee movies, 70s sci fi flicks, Midnight Run, and more. There's even an entire episode dedicated as an homage to "Alien"

While its not exactly made for kids, none of it is really inappropriate. No over the top gore or nudity. EXCEPT for the last few minutes of episode 12. Transexual android.....yeah :))
    Post edited by FIRENATHANIELHACKETT on
    SUH said:
    SATAN said:
    SATAN said:
    Adventure Time>Fagz
    nah. Like I said I like AT, but anime >
    I need a suggestion then. Gimme something that's heady like AT but colorful with cool music that kids would dig. Cuz AT is the only thing everyone in my house enjoys and it would be nice to add something into the mix
    Seriously, if I had to suggest one anime it'd be Cowboy Bebop. Its a space western about a group of rejects/wanderers that gather together on a ship and travel the galaxy as bounty hunters. If you enjoyed Joss Whedon's "Firefly" of Guardians Of The Galaxy, you'll love this. The thing is, it predates Firefly by about 5 years. And to be honest does a lot of things better than both.

First of all, the soundtrack is FANTASTIC. Seriously, the best soundtrack of anything on television. Yoko Kanno, the composer, is brilliant. Its mostly jazz. I never imagined how awesome a spaceship dogfight would be when paired with good jazz music. There's a ton of other music though too like blues, classical, and even some metal. Here's a sample: 

http://youtu.be/l8wWa3O9cUo

Each episode has its own self contained story (usually in the form of a bounty target) but certain antagonists and secondary characters pop in every few episodes to tie together the overarching story. You slowly learn the backstory of each member of the group, all of which is very engrossing.

The director drew a lot of inspiration from the western and film noir genres, so a lot of the japanese quirk that turns people off from anime is missing from this show. Hell, the English voiceover is considered superior to the japanese voice actors because of how westernized it is. 

There's a ton of callbacks to things like Bruce Lee movies, 70s sci fi flicks, Midnight Run, and more. There's even an entire episode dedicated as an homage to "Alien"

While its not exactly made for kids, none of it is really inappropriate. No over the top gore or nudity. EXCEPT for the last few minutes of episode 12. Transexual android.....yeah :))
    Have you watched Space Dandy? Its the same creator
    I havent. Its definitely on my list though.

I did finish Samurai Champloo which was awesome.