Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Here it is... Decibel's Top 40 Albums of 2012

Comments

• sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    prolly could've called most of this before i even looked at it. nice to see royal thunder gettin' the love doe
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Stoner metal = the new Deathcore
    it's kinda inevitable. it's a shame because i like a lot of the stoner-ish bands. but i have to concede that there's a lot of lame hipsters getting into it right now. same goes for black metal
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    SATAN said:

prolly could've called most of this before i even looked at it.

I always wanna ask if these lists were made in March based off what was being released and assumed position the album will be on the year end list. Its almost like these lists are effortless.
    jag said:

SATAN said:

prolly could've called most of this before i even looked at it.

I always wanna ask if these lists were made in March based off what was being released and assumed position the album will be on the year end list. Its almost like these lists are effortless.
    i feel the same way. it's like they made the list and once the albums came out they found reasons to justify their rankings.

i still like most of what they have on the list, but it's pretty predictable
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    i honestly dont think in my entire life I have ever met someone who knew what stoner metal even is never mind could name one band... i know 1000 people who could name deathcore bands so unless its real popular in other places yall are full of shit
    I know Chicago is a big market, but here's a point I can add to my side of it being big:

Last week, Earth sold out 2 shows.

Last Saturday, there were 4 big shows in Chicago.. a diy grindcore show in a house basement, Red Fang/Black Tusk, Earth and Om (The latter 3 all club shows). The stoner shows all sold out in advance. Pretty impressive (to me) given all that was going on.
    its not like earth tours every year tho...
    Very true, but I think it says alot to sell out 2 days in a row, including on a day when more well known bands such as Red Fang/Black Tusk are playing and then Om. Again, Chicago is a big market compared to smaller areas, but for all those to sell out surprised me a little but, especially the Om gig.

Being in Chicago kinda skewers my view I suppose. I'm lucky enough to be in a scene where there is a lot of activity and people keep up with what's going on. We get every tour here. It kinda helps, you feel? I don't know what the scene is like by you and I'm sure my thoughts would change a bit if I spent some time in your area or any market that isn't as big as Chicago.
    lol there is no scene by me, im spr jelly of your scene.. and i get your point but honestly Earth should sell out before red fang/ black tusk cuz imo theyre much better
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I was reading Revolver last night and they were interviewing "In This Moment", and it was funny because she said the band got so fucking sick of things... That towards the end of their last tour they noticed that the entire crowd was filled with scene kids and she told them to all go fuck off.

And I was thinking... "that's funny. Cause that is really the only people who actually likes your band, and you told them to all fuck off." I find it weird that a scene band would get upset over attracting that crowd.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    also... I was reading Sports Illustrated last night too because I got a free year subscription- Why does it suck so badly? I mean it is just fill with bullshit editorials. I read magazines for interviews with people I want to hear what they say. why doesnt sports illustrated do that?
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    NolaMetal said:

i honestly dont think in my entire life I have ever met someone who knew what stoner metal even is never mind could name one band... i know 1000 people who could name deathcore bands so unless its real popular in other places yall are full of shit

It's definitely a trend and like many many other trends before it, it becomes over saturated, overdone and generic.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Like every genre of music ever? I dont see the big deal. I listen to what I think sounds good, not because of its popularity or lack thereof
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    I'd fucking love to break your jaw
    Stoner rock is obviously big here in atlanta. It's probably been bigger here than in most other places because we used to have a popular radio dj that was a big kyuss fan back in the late 90's/early 00's and used to give them airplay. Plus, ever since Mastodon broke, everybody wants to act like they were hip to it
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    so is clutch stoner rock/metal?, because i like to listen to clutch when i get stoned
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Stoner and doom is big in the south on general... the majority of metal shows in Nashville are stoner and doom shows
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?