Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

People who illegally download music, buy 30% more music then those who don't

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    We went to kmart the other day and I felt dirty when I left it was so trashy
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Idk why but the Kmart here is pretty nice, or at least compared to other Kmarts, but with Walmart and Target and such, I'm surprised it's still open.
    inb4lists
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    All I know is that I download a lot and went out to buy two CDs yesterday, averaging CD purchases of about 10/year.
    I love winning with women
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    I definitely buy a fair share of CDs, but it's mostly used stuff so the initial purchase is what originally helped the band.

Also, I really agree with what Wake said. If filesharing didn't exist, people still wouldn't buy shit. I know tons of people who haven't bought a CD in years because they don't want to take a blind chance or don't know of any new artists, etc. Filesharing gives people a chance to check out tons of new music and possibly fall in love with a band and support them fiscally. There are quite a few albums I've bought after already having downloaded it. Hell, I love Turn on the Bright Lights so much I have a copy on CD and vinyl.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    You guys are way off base. Sure, what you guys are saying is true for the small time blackened death metal band. But what about bands with any sort of popularity? Record sales are down, no bullshit statistic can say otherwise.

I'm all for filesharing, but dont try and sugarcoat it and make it seem like the industry isnt down, and that bands aren't making less money.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    I'm not claiming that, I'm just saying filesharing isn't the devil and has proven to be beneficial to smaller/undergound bands.
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers

I'm all for filesharing, but dont try and sugarcoat it and make it seem like the industry isnt down, and that bands aren't making less money.

Im not sugar coating anything. The Marshall Mathers LP came out during the height of Napster when everyone and their dog was using that site. The Marshall Mathers LP is the fastest selling solo album in US history. It is #1 on the all time list of most bought Rap alums. You really think illegal file sharing hurt the sales of one of the most successful albums ever made??? No. Although it can't be proved one way or the other, I am claiming that Napster actually played a significant role in that albums success.

I think it's stupid that anyone on this site would disagree with this opinion. How many albums that you now love came from people talking about it here? And why were they talking about it? Because they illegally downloaded it. And that caused you to either illegally download it or go out and buy the album... And how many hoodies, concerts, shirts, and other merchandise did you buy from that band? Thank you illegal file sharing. You just made that band popular, you just put money in their pockets.
    We've already established its good for small or underground bands Wake. But take a look at popular bands that were around before file sharing. Then look at their recent album sales. A lot of them are selling half the amount of records if not less. Whats your magic reasoning for that Wake? Did they just somehow lose half their fans?
    There numbers are down like every other retailers numbers are down. If you havent noticed, we've basically been in a recession for the last 12 years. People are losing jobs, unemployment is high, and everything cost more money due to inflation and the devaluing of the dollar.

Do you think the music industry is just immune to the climate in the world? You really think people losing their jobs in record numbers, that those people are gonna be like "well lost my job. might as well go stock up on cd's".

For the record I dont mean this to come off as aggressive or me being an asshole. I know it probably sounds that way, but i wasnt trying to make it seem like I was mad. just typing and upon reading it appears angry and I dont want to retype.
    Oh no offense taken. Lets just agree to disagree. I'm for filesharing btw. I do it all the time. I do have a certain level of guilt about it.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I used to only buy CDs, but it's impossible to keep up with everything released. Digital downloads are only a few bucks cheaper than CDs so that's pretty much useless. Bandcamp ist krieg
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    edited November 2012
    that's funny. I actually have no guilt over it, mostly because I know for 100% sure that the music industry loses no money from me illegally downloading. If I really love an album, I always end up buying it. And if it wasnt for illegally downloading I would just be happy with the few albums I happen to come across instead of the 500+ I bought due to illegally downloading them. My all time favorite band (Pink Floyd) I would have never known if it wasnt for copyright infringement. Perhaps I am an outlier but I dont buy it.

I dont have guilt over downloading TV shows, because I spend 125 a month on cable + DVR. You might ask, if I do that, why do I download? Because I like the commercials cut out and I like having the digital nonDRAM files on my computer. I dont mind supporting the industry I like, but that industry isnt giving me the content in the format I want so I get it else where, but still throw them a bone.

I dont have guilt over downloading movies, because I also buy movies when they arent complete shit. Granted I dont buy a lot of movies these days since 9/10ths of movies are crappy rehash sequels that are never as good as the original.
    Lol more bullshit wake stats
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    no stats there other then percentages that deal with me. Im sure you also know what percentage of stuff you dont buy because you illegally downloaded it.
    90 percent of the time wake has the right stats 30 perfect of the time
    why dont you stop being an asshole and just reread what I said. The post you commented about I was talking about me personally. It isnt statistics when you are talking about yourself. Go back to school and learn math or something.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker

You guys are way off base. Sure, what you guys are saying is true for the small time blackened death metal band. But what about bands with any sort of popularity? Record sales are down, no bullshit statistic can say otherwise.

heres the world smallest violin for severely overpaid rock stars
    I'm not talking justin bieber or metallica dude. I'm talking lamb of god, testament, hatebreed, cannibal corpse, etc. The bands in between super popular and underground.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    yeah it sucks, and i feel bad they cant make more money, but honestly i bust my ass everyday at my job and i dont have any extra income to give them.. i wish i did.. if i was rich id spend tons of money in support of them.. but when i bust my ass all day just to make ends meet Im sorry if im not crying over doods having a blast performing music every night.. so i wouldnt say guilty is the right word for me.. i dont feel guilty at all..our country is broke.what they think theyre gonna be the only industry not to feel it?