Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Resume

Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
edited October 2012 in Debate & Discourse
Well as we had this discussion a week or two ago and there are a lot of people who seemed interested, and most everyone in the adult world needs one now i thought i would start a thread about resumes

Well i went threw and edited mine in word and for ease of access i put it into a pdf format....now the water marks behind this are not really there...i just had to d/l a free trial to convert .doc files to .pdf files....anyone know of a way i can do this without the program so there is no water marks?
Post edited by Rex_Capone420 on

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    There are still minor errors in capitalization and spelling but there is overall improvement. I think in the long run you will want to keep everything to one page.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    there is? wtf i used word hoping that would fix all that nonsense...its been about 4 years since i have used word tho lol

as far as the one page thing i have heard that from a few people...but then my buddy who owns an insurance company sent me resumes that he said he was really impressed with (this guy has all kinds of college degrees, really credible guy) and most of them are more then one page...damn it! lol

• jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Ill check this out when im home, Rex. From my phone, its a big inprovement but ill offer any suggestions when i am at a computer.
    I appreciate. I understand its not perfect thats why i posted it here lol. Thanks guys!
    oh and an FYI...im sure no one cares/noticed but there is an employment gap between 2009-2010....no i was working at the time but it was all under the table work.. I was babysitting full time for a friend. She was paid by the state and then paid me with that. She was a friend who i was basically helping out and in turn she was helping me out. But i was curious for those who know about resumes if it would be a concern to have a work gap like that, and if it would be benefical to put that in the resume as well. I have used her as a reference in the past but i figured because it wasn't a business employment i wouldn't include it...but the gap kinda worry's me. but thats probably me just being paranoid
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    you could simply list it for a better flow and no gap but you dont have to go into detail about it
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Can't open it on my phone. Can someone post a screen cap please?
    Pass the god damn butter.
    edited October 2012
    i can get around to it...its improved but compared to yours it isn't nothing :))

Edit: :|
    Post edited by Rex_Capone420 on
    Just to be clear, none of my personal info was on that one I sent, that's just a random one from the internet I liked, so I copy/paste my info over it and changed a few things here and there to fit me specifically. I wouldn't worry about the employment gap on it, just be ready to answer questions about it at an interview. Keep of at one full page, if they want any additional info or references they will ask you for it. Plus anything you want them to know that won't fit can go in a cover letter.
    edited October 2012
    Alright, now that this was bumped and I'm on a computer:

1) You can easily shorten this down to one page.
    2) Put Education more towards the top since it's more fitting with the profile aspect of you. EDIT: You can find a way to combine the Objective and Profile. There are nifty ways to say who you are and what you are going for all in one. That's a way to reduce the length. EDIT #2: For Education, put the high school, the city/state and the year you graduated. Looks more professional. Jus' saying.
    3) Get rid of the references part on the resume. Not necessary at all and it's just filling space that you don't need filled.
    4) Maybe it's how it opened in Adobe, but there is inconsistency with the font colors. Sometimes stuff seems grey and others seem black. That'll need fixing.
    5) Keep your margins consistent. Example is under machine operator for the first bullet. That looks awkward and sticks out. One the first page under Meijer.. the first bullet has a totally different margin when it goes to the next line that looks better than what I just pointed out. Consistency!
    6) After the "-" for your bullets, make sure the spacing is consistent. I see a few times it is not.
    7) If you're gonna have 2 pages.. don't let the bullets just start from the page before. It's all or nothing.
    8) Keep out the baby sitting but as Jobe said, be prepared to bring it up in an interview if necessary
    9) Fix up the punctuation errors and along with keeping the consistency of where you cap letters, margins, etc. Word won't catch all of it.
    10) Since we are on the topic of Word.. MS Word actually has some decent templates to use that can help.

EDIT: 11) Fix the dates of your time with speedway. Not consistent with the rest.

When I helped on my campus with Resumes, I would usually give the following advice:
    This sheet of paper is YOU. The person reading this has NO clue who you are, how hard you work, what you look like, etc. Is this sheet of paper the BEST REPRESENTATION of you? Constantly ask yourself is this the best way you can portray yourself to an employer through a sheet of paper with words.

Edit: It also sometimes helps to Google resumes for the jobs you've had to get good action words that'll spice up your resume and make it stand out more.
    thanks for the advice guys
    Hang in there bro. It's a fuckton of work to get them perfect (we worked on them for an entire semester in college) but once it is done, its done, and updating it is quick and easy. Just keep multiple copies saved in different locations so you don't lose the entire thing and have to do it over.
    yeah i have one on a thumb drive as backup...i figured that out the hard way lol
    So did I lol. You can also email it to youself and just keep it in your inbox. Then you have access to it anywhere and don't have to worry about losing the drive its on.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I did a new resume a couple years back. My sister in law who is a paralegal and took some of that stuff in college pretty much did it all for me. I just sat down and answered her questions and she typed it up. The one thing that always stuck with me from it is she said put something in there that will make you stand out. She said for hers she put "pleasant speaking voice" and when she did the interview the lady told her she got a chuckle out of that and called her in. She got the job from it as well. So I guess that's my advise, try and work something in that will make you stand out a little
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    10) Since we are on the topic of Word.. MS Word actually has some decent templates to use that can help.

does it? Like i said its been about 4-5 years since i have used word so i am really rusty
    Ok well i shortened it up, as this is a draft i plan on changing the objective a bit to better stick out when a good idea comes to me lol. But this draft i have it at one page, but it seems a little jammed together for me. If any of you have time to look it over and tell me what you think about the differences between the two i would really appreciate it. Thanks again guys!
    rexum420 said:

does it? Like i said its been about 4-5 years since i have used word so i am really rusty

Yes. They have a variety of different templates that come preloaded or free for download.
    Post the resume!