Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Pissed I didn't get supercrush and gift of guilt.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    That's awesome man. I wish there was a better metal scene in the San Jose are. At least we got a really cool indie rock scene. Plus there are a couple death metal bands I've discovered form the area that are alright.

And from what I've heard, South Carolina has a really good stoner metal scene. Thought that was kind of surprising.
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    LOOT said:

Pissed I didn't get supercrush and gift of guilt.

I would have traded Supercrush for Kingdom, but It was still fucking awesome.
    inb4lists
    Yeah kingdom was sweet \m/
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    We got Kingdom tonight as well.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Sucks that he is switching out my 2 favorite songs of his lol
    inb4lists
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    The band may have requested the barricade
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Short review.

Atlas Moth - Enjoyable, yes...but not quite the amazingness I've heard from multiple people. Maybe that'll change once know their material.

DTP - Honestly, I don't listen to DTP, Strapping Young Lad, DTB, or any of the other varieties Devin Townsend brings. I really don't know why though, I feel like if I gave it a try I'd really like it. For not knowing any material, I thought the set was great. Grabbed a pick off the floor.

Gojira - I always thought the saying about smaller shows being more "intimate" was a little cliche...but this was the first time I really felt that way. The band was great an all...but it felt completely different from the show in August. Of course the venue was bigger, a hell of a lot more people...but they also didn't interact with the crowd nearly as much. Again though, still played the music with the same amount of energy. Also either they played the beginning of Explosia fast or they were out of sync..something just sounded weird. The category where this show wins for me though is that it had a better set imo. If I could have mixed this set with the last show, shit would be cash

Bonus - Saw the drummer from Downtown Brown and talked to him for a second
    image Photobucket
    Lol they been off all tour. They had to restart the art of dying because mario messed up.
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    My review since Chuck summed it up

The Atlas Moth - They were pretty good, but not as awesome as I was expecting after reading some of the reviews

Devin Townsend Project - Fucking great! He knows how to put on a good show by interacting with the crowd and playing some kick ass music. I really am only familiar with Epicloud stuff with the exception of War and I was absolutely blown away from the set. Got a setlist after the set.

Gojira - Holy Shit they are heavy live. They were fucking great in every way. They might of played a little sloppy but it still kicked major ass. The song selection was great imo and they brought Mario from behind the kit and switched with Joe to finish The Art Of Dying that was really cool to see. Overall a great set and can't wait to see them again.

After the show I picked up a Gojira shirt and went on my way. \m/
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    edited February 2013
    On the note of that Enslaved show, guitarist Josh said they're (Royal Thunder) aiming to do a headlining run at the end of summer. I hope it hits here, but I have a feeling it'll be east coast only.
    I love winning with women
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    mrAPE said:

I don't think that's the case because the dude next to me said last time Enslaved were there in 2011 there was no barricade.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Maybe it sucked so they requested it :-??
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies

mrAPE said:

I don't think that's the case because the dude next to me said last time Enslaved were there in 2011 there was no barricade.
    Naw I'm pretty sure they requested it. Our venue has no barricade so you can stage dive and shit if you want to. Gojira requested it and the time Trevor got punched during one of the TBDM's set he started requesting a barricade :))

Barricades at tiny ass venues suck ass.
    A few photos of the Enslaved show, Royal Thunder more rather.

imageimageimageimageimage
    Intronaut - By far the best band on this tour, and one of the best performances I'll probably see all year, their sound was extremely tight and pretty much flawless, I definitely need to see them with a longer set - 10/10

Animals As Leaders - My 3rd time seeing them and I enjoyed them but they are starting to get a little old, they played the same songs they've always played, a decent addition to the tour but the weakest band on it for sure. - 6.5/10

Meshuggah - Holy fucking shit these guys were intense, I have not experienced a crowd/pit like that since Sleep, which I know sounds odd at first, but the atmosphere was pretty similar, they played most of my favorites, I would have liked Demiurge though, what did suck though is the vocalist had the flu so he didn't sound great half the time but he did great for the most part, but they were awesome nonetheless - 8/10

Overall an extremely heavy and extremely loud set, but definitely worth the ticket price, definitely go check out this tour if it comes near you.
    ---

Merch

Meshuggah shirts were $25, hoodies were $50, CDs and beanies were $10

Animals As Leaders - Shirts were $20, CDs $10

Intronaut - Shirts were $25, CDs were $10 each or all 3 for $15, they also had a pre order card for their upcoming album for $15, vinyl for their first album for $25, Valley Of Smoke for $20, and they had buttons for idk how much.

Meshuggah

1)Swarm
    2)Do Not Look Down
    3)ObZen
    4)Behind The Sun
    5)The Hurt That Finds You First
    6)I Am Colossus
    7)Catch 33
    8)Shed
    9)Bleed
    10)Transfixion
    11)Break Those Bones
    12)Straws Pulled At Random
    13)New Millennium
    14)Dancers To A Discordant System

Animals As Leaders

1)An Infinite Regression
    2)Earth Departure
    3)Tempting Time
    4)Wave Of Babies
    5)Cylindrical Sea
    6)Somnarium
    7)Weightless
    8)CAFO

Intronaut

1)The Literal Black Cloud
    2)New Song
    3)Milk Leg
    4)New Song
    inb4lists
    Last set was better.

3)ObZen

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllsss......................................................................................
    Yeah that's the song that stuck out to me. Wish they were playing demons name
    They did "Dancers To A Discordant System" as an instrumental because his voice was hurting.
    inb4lists