Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    Seen em before, not impressed. I only like Family Tradition by them anyway.
    I hate your face.
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Just got home from the Death To All tour.

I got VIP so i arrived there around 1:30 expecting to get in at 2. but found out it would be around 3:35 before the 10 or so of us with VIP got in, got our shirt/patch and headed over to the stage where the legendary members of Death were performing sound check, after about 20 minutes or so it was time to finally meet two of my favorite drummers (plus 7 other great musicians), after we finished eating with the band we headed down to the stage and wait for the show to begin.

Atheist - I wasn't familiar with everything of theirs but i loved their Jupiter album. They were solid, probably one of the best opening bands I've ever seen, my only complaint was i couldn't hear the vocals all that well, but if you're a fan I'd definitely recommend seeing them live if you get the chance. - 7/10

Death (To All) - Most people thought that after vocalist and founding member Chuck Shuldiner died in 2001 that this music would never be heard live again, but these 7 ex members of Death were incredible, the entire show was intense from the opening chord to Zombie Ritual till the last chorus of Pull The Plug, I have never felt such a strong connection between the fans and the band, people went crazy all 135 minutes, Gene Hoglan was a monster on drums, he has perhaps the loudest bass drum you will ever hear, that mixed with his extreme technicality, and catchy grooves was enough to win the crowd and then some, drummer Sean Reinert was hurt but still managed to play 7 songs, and during the last 2 he looked like his was in major pain, but still played on, i hope he gets better and continues to write and tour with Cynic. Steve Digiorgio, the master of all master bass players was phenomenal, completely owning the 6 string fretless bass he was playing, he is perhaps the only bassist who actually NEEDS a 6 string bass guitar. all 3 guitarists, Paul, Scott and Shannon were all great, it was very entertaining watching Paul Masvidal running back and forth on the stage as if he was high on adrenaline, even the drum tech Danny Walker(Intronaut) was great, filling in on a couple songs. But the most intense part of the whole show was when they came out to play probably the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard, the instrumental "Voice Of The Soul", this song IS Chuck Shuldiner, when i was talking to their tour manager Eric Greif, he said that he always cries whenever he hears it, because it makes him remember his friend, and when the acoustic guitar came in in the middle, it was beyond intense, even powerful, and an overall amazing instrumental song, and for their last song "Pull The Plug, all 10 musicians got on stage to play it, and the crowd went insane, crowd surfers left and right.

An overall incredible show, by far the best show I've ever been too
    inb4lists
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    > only knowing Jupiter

<_>
    I've listened to all of their albums, but that's the one I'm most familiar with.

Besides, it's a good album =;
    inb4lists
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Jupiter is awesome, but you made it sound like that was the only album of their's you had.
    I have everything on my ipod except for Elements, which I keep meaning to buy, but I've listened to it before.
    inb4lists
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    WARPED TOUR 2012: Dallas, TX 7/3/12

So I was able to get a ride from my friend Peter and that turned out to be a nightmare. AS we were going to pick up some friends in a neighboring city, I had a near death experience. We were driving down the highway and we were just talking about some bands playing and other music related topics. Just before the intersection at MainStreet, he started to give the car a lot more gas. When I looked up I noticed that it had just changed to red so I say "red light"... nothing happens and he continues to barrel down the highway. I say it again but it's as we're about to cross through the intersection and a car is turning left (my side). Peter slammed on the brakes and swerves only to miss the car by about two or so feet. I didn't scream or anything. Perhaps I was too shocked.... He didn't get any gas money from me that's for sure.
    Because we picked up some of their friends, we were running a little late (seriously, some bitches need to hurry up). We almost missed Title Fight entirely because of this. We ran across the parking lot, through the venue and all the way to a back corner just to catch the final half of their set.

*****I’m only posting reviews for bands that I watched for their entire set.*****

Title Fight: If you don’t like Title Fight, you suck. They put on a great show and the crowd loved them. Everyone was singing along. I just wish I had gotten there earlier to see their entire set, but at least I can say that I’ve finally seen Title Fight.
    Overall: 9/10

You Me At Six: I didn’t know who they were; I was just waiting around to get a great spot for the next two bands. They weren’t as bad as I had anticipated because I saw a ton of screaming girls during their set.
    Overall: 6.5/10

Rise To Remain: They were one of the reasons that I even went to Warped Tour this year. I got a spot on the rail right in the center. I was really excited to see how they are live because videos on YouTube don’t always do bands justice. Just before they went on, I noticed that there were not too many people probably because it was their first US tour and not many people have really heard of them. I was one of the few that were able to sing along and I think they took notice to that because Ben Tovey pointed me out between which was awesome (I get way too excited when musicians do this). They put on an excellent show and I highly recommend seeing them if you’re going to Warped Tour some time after this post. Towards the end of their set, the audience was getting really big but that was probably for the next band- The Ghost Inside.

Here’s a picture of the setlist I caught:

The Ghost Inside: I remained in my spot front and center between sets. I was really surprised I didn’t pass out because the sun was directly over the Monster Energy stage. Anyway, I talked with a few people up on the rail and I was really surprised at the number of people who loved Give What You Give. That is definitely their worst album, but I digress. Like Title Fight, The Ghost Inside’s set was another big sing along. They played a pretty standard set with two new songs. I left with two songs left for a meet and greet with Rise To Remain whose tent was right at the back of the crowd for TGI, so I was able to watch the rest.

I went over to RTR’s tent and talked with them for a while. They were such a nice group of guys and they all seemed very appreciative of the support as it was their very first US tour. Austin Dickinson and I chatted about a few bands (mainly The Ghost Inside) and then I talked with Ben Tovey, the guitarist, about how everything has been going on tour and how different it was in the states. I forgot to get the setlist signed -_- Oh well, I still got my cd signed at least.

Picture of us (please excuse my paleness):

Here I am with The Ghost Inside (my big head is blocking Jim’s face):

Every Time I Die: This was a band that I had only heard about but I had never actually bothered to look any of their material up. I really enjoyed them and the crowd was wild. This is another band that you must check out at Warped Tour.
    Overall: 8.5/10 (probably because I knew absolutely no songs and everyone was singing along)

Bayside: It had been a really long day at this point and I was ready to go home but I was carpooling so that was a no go. I really enjoyed their set and it was a lot more relaxed because the crowd was a bit older than the rest of them. Check them out if you don’t have any other band to see at the time.
    Overall: 7.5/10

I enjoyed Warped Tour this year, but it also kind of sucked because all the bands that I HAD to see were done by 2:30… I only saw 2 full sets after that but I watched a few others like Vanna, Mayday Parade (waiting in line to meet TGI, I swear), and a lot more.

Items bought: Title Fight shirt and sticker, Rise To Remain City of Vultures album
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Uhh why the fuck didn't you watch anti-flag?
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Not a single review of Senses Fail yet, this gives me a sad.

inb4lists
    Well senses fail is the suck I can understand why no reviews have come up
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    edited July 2012
    Well senses fail is the suck I can understand why no reviews have come up
    With the exception of a couple At The Drive In and Thrice albums, Senses Fail album "Still Searching" is probably the best post-hardcore album ever, at least for me, the album is the perfect mesh.
    inb4lists
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Uhh why the fuck didn't you watch anti-flag?
    He missed out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTAfwbKhk4
    I love winning with women
    I'm so jealous. I haven't seen them since 05? I think. They are always fun live. Alex your date at warped was the one that got moved to a new venue right a baseball field or some shit?
    Yeah and I can tell you they will not be doing it again. They thought that the grass would keep the place cooler (even though only two stages were on the grass). But as it turned out, that made it 100x more humid. Plus the entire mainstage areas smelled like sweat and freshly cut grass (which is acceptable on it's own). On top of that, the place was a fucking nightmare to navigate and the lot areas were twice as narrow/compact as Cricket. The only saving grace is that there was re-entry if you saved your ticket, but the place you could park (or at least that I had to) was a quarter mile away.

That was my final Warped in AZ anyway.
    The Living End for WT 2013

MAKE IT HAPPEN
    inb4lists
    So you're saying it sucked? Lol. That's funny did the grass get destroyed?
    The venue itself, yes. The experience, no. Warped has always been a good time, even in 116 degree heat. The grass was much more littered than destroyed. They tried to put those hard plastic connectable coverings over it, but a lot just got torn out.
    Ah they do that for rock on the range. I had been wondering how that show would work out. And to be honest the only reason I remember it so much is because when the dude announced that he announced 5 of the bands and he had a descendants hoodie on and I got excited that they might play just to be let down
    Yeaaaah I remember that :)) Next year I'll be attending it at I believe...PNC Center or something?

Kind of depressed about tomorrow since it's my final ever MAYHEM in AZ. :-<
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    ^If you're working in Philly, chances are you'll be going to the SBC.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html