Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Any boat fans here?

WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited January 2012 in Off Topic
Not that I am looking to buy anytime soon... however if you were going to spend 20k on a boat, where would you start to look? I'd sure like a good boat that I could take out on the great lakes.... maybe had an inside cabin. Could do a little fishing with it. idk... something like that.

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    id probably start with a place that sells boats
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    This is like a two year plan.... and something i havent even talked with my wife about. The thing is, there are literally billions of options and it is a little confusing for someone whose never been into boating.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    edited January 2012
    up has a boat he could help you, also im sure there are online boat forums you could prob easily find..thats what i do
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    i live on a lake that has a ton of people with boats. of course, i'm the only person wihtout one. my father-in-law comes over with a canoe occassionally, and my brother uses an inflatable raft decked out with a motor. its actually pretty cool. i would probably go with a smaller, inexpensive boat to see if it would get used enough, then go with the bigger boat later
    i live on a lake that has a ton of people with boats. of course, i'm the only person wihtout one. my father-in-law comes over with a canoe occassionally, and my brother uses an inflatable raft decked out with a motor. its actually pretty cool. i would probably go with a smaller, inexpensive boat to see if it would get used enough, then go with the bigger boat later
    That's good advice... however for what I want to use it for, smaller wouldnt cut it. I'm not looking for water skiing, although wouldnt mind if I could do that too... but really looking for a boat that the family could cut it on, maybe do a little fishing... remote picnicking... that type of shit.

having the freedom to do that sort of shit sounds sooooo refreshing.
    you also have to weigh in the cost to register and insure the boat, and whether or not your vehicle can tow it ok. need room to put it on your property when not in use (thats my biggest issue, would take up half my driveway)
    And if you buy a big boat and want to keep it at the marina instead of tow it back and forth everyday,... then you need to rent a boat slip. They charge by the length of your boat. Average ($1,000) for a boat up to 25-27'.
    1000 per year? or money??? and yeah... I would like to dock it instead of tow it back and forth. I have a truck that could toe it, but seems like I'd get more use out of it if I didnt have to hassle with loading and unloading more then once a year.

All depends on what type of boating you want to do.

Fishing.
    Cruising.
    Sailing.
    Skiing.
    Weekend.

20K is a good chunk of change so you should be able to find whatever style you are looking for. Not new of course,.... but a good used boat.

Priorities when I was looking for a boat was:
    Cuddy Cabin, Trailorable, and Beachable.
    I ended up with a 20' SeaRay Cuddy. V8 I/O.
    Easily trailorable with my small GMC Jimmy.
    Small cabin for sleeping (spent 2 nights on it).
    Fast enough to wakeboard, tube, ski behind.
    Plus there is a toilet onboard for my ladies to use.
    I also wanted a wrap around handrail around the front that was high enough to put your legs under,... so you can sit up there when the boat is moving (illegal btw).
    Your boat sounds like exactly what I am looking for! How is the resale value on boats? They seem like they hold their value no?
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I would like a supra
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    I would like a supra
    I'd for sure want a cabin and something that was comfortable enough to lounge around on all day while we did some fishing or swimming or whatever.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Supra is a boat that is made for wakeboarding. Usually running from 40-100 k
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    If you are going to dock your boat at a slip,.... then get a 25'-27' boat.
    There is plenty of room on that size boat for relaxing and cruising.
    Plus it is small enough to trailer if you want too.

Those length boats have full size heads that includes toilet, shower, and sink.
    Plus those size boats have a small kitchenette. And the 27' 'might' have an Aft cabin,... which means a bed underneath the drivers seat.

But gas milage sucks on them big bastards too.
    Probably get 2-3 miles per gallon.
    sweet \m/ thanks for all the info. Thread was a success. You totally got me pointed in the right direction.

2-3 miles per gallon. FUCK.
  • MetalSSlayerMetalSSlayer Posts: 6,164 destroyer of motherfuckers
    My parents have a boat that's older than I am. Damn thing broke again the last time we took it out.
  • MetalSSlayerMetalSSlayer Posts: 6,164 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I love the boat, but it has broken down the last three times we've taken it out.
    when the boat breaks down, can AAA come out and tow it?
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited January 2012
    My boat came with:

10 Lifejackets
    Bimini Top
    Depth/Fish Finder
    Handheld GPS
    Toilet
    Water Skis
    Kid Water Skis
    Tube
    2-Tow Rope
    8-Deck Lines
    2- Anchors
    Battery
    Ship to Shore Radio
    Compass
    Cuddy Cabin with Cushions
    V8 Running Motor
    Trailor

$500

Needed Water Impellor.
    $20 part + new gaskets.
    =P~ im so fucking jelly right now. 500 bucks! jesus. nice find.
    damn straight nigga.
  • Bottle_TreeBottle_Tree Posts: 7,166 just the tip
    I just want a little rowboat to go fishing in.
    Boat shows are GREAT!
    I know if I ever buy a Sailboat,....that I would want a McGregor.

You can put large motors on those sailboats and go waterskiing behind your sailboat.
    The thing I am trying to figure out is where is the value. Like With motorcycles, They really retain their value... so buying new verses buying a 1 year old bike is like a couple grand difference. You can probably get a little more of a bike buying old, but it's not that big of a difference because bikes hold their value so well.

I need to find out what the market is on boats. If boats are like motorcycles then I'd probably want to buy new and would love the boat shows. If they are more like cars then fuck that.. I'll get a 5 year old boat for 1/3 of the value.