Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

OCCUPY

Comments

• drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    So they are trying to get people on their cause by inconveniencing them? That seems really smart.
    Yeah. It works. I mean, it got you to notice them, right?

The objective isn't necessarily to have the entirety of the country against the 1%, it's the much more realistic goal of having everybody talking about it. Success.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    So they are like the WBC
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited November 2011
    So they are like the WBC
    where did you see OWS protesting a Soldiers funeral?
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    where did you see OWS protesting a Soldiers funeral?
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    The evidence is very clear in that picture posted Shane
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    it is. if the tax system was fair and equal then this protest wouldn't be happening and the subway system wouldn't be shut down.
    simple.
    You realize that the tax system isn't fair or equal right? We have a progressive income tax system which means the more you make the bigger percentage of your income is taxed. That isn't fair at all.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    So they are trying to get people on their cause by inconveniencing them? That seems really smart.
    The objective isn't necessarily to have the entirety of the country against the 1%, it's the much more realistic goal of having everybody talking about it. Success.
    I honestly think you are giving these people way to much credit.
    edited November 2011
    it is. if the tax system was fair and equal then this protest wouldn't be happening and the subway system wouldn't be shut down.
    simple.
    You realize that the tax system isn't fair or equal right? We have a progressive income tax system which means the more you make the bigger percentage of your income is taxed. That isn't fair at all.
    yea that doesn't happen. Billionaires pay less % in taxes than their Secretary s. some multimillionaires and billionaires loophole their taxes to 0-5%

lets put it in perspective. if you raised taxes on the 1% it would raise 750 billion in revenue, on the flipside if you took the total worth of everything the bottom 50% have in the world it comes to just below 1.5 trillion
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I think they deserve a lot of credit for what they've done. They've gotten a lot of attention and deservedly so. The police brutality around it only makes it more in focus.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    edited November 2011
    also if anyone thinks Hermain Cain is not insane listen to this. that 999 shit puts the federal sales tax on top of the state incomes taxes and will effectively make millionaires and billionaires pay little to no income taxes. This while crushing the poor under an avg of 18% sales tax and taxing their income at 9% when most poor pay nothing atm.

and before the "cry moar poor fuck" trolling starts no one here makes enough money that the sales tax doesn't affect them
    But yet I make enough to where the sales tax doesn't bother me to pay. Thank you come again.
    edited November 2011
    But yet I make enough to where the sales tax doesn't bother me to pay. Thank you come again.
    do you make 150K a year? don't think so

an 18% sales tax will have a significant impact on anyone under that amount
    You don't know what I make so you shouldn't judge. Also you missed my point I make enough that when I have to deal with the tax it doesn't upset me because I make enough that I don't have to be concerned with it.
  • AbbadonAbbadon Posts: 1,990 juggalo
    That's awesome! Where did u get that pic?
  • AbbadonAbbadon Posts: 1,990 juggalo
    I think they deserve a lot of credit for what they've done. They've gotten a lot of attention and deservedly so. The police brutality around it only makes it more in focus.
    I think they deserve credit for what they r doing. They r doing it so u and I don't have 2. They r showing that we still have a voice.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited November 2011
    "No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like to straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said ford. "It is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"
    "What?"
    "I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"
    "I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."
    Ford shrugged again.
    "Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    Occupy boston being shut down tonight

Dewey Square was bustling with activity this afternoon as some Occupy Boston protesters packed up to leave and organizers packed up tents and other valuables to protect them in case of a police raid.

People were in the process of striking some tents. Earlier, protesters were loaded boxes of food into a Boston police van. Boxes of books from the camp library were waiting by the curb for pickup. Lawyers from the city could be seen inspecting the site.

Protesters seemed stressed, as well as beset by sadness, frustration, and anger.

Rohm, 24, a protester who did not give his name, said he was leaving because he’s “not trying to get beat up.”

He said he was “very emotional.”

“I’ve met a lot of peep here, strong, spiritual minds, and I can’t express how much these people have meant to me,” he said.

William Krause, 40, of South Boston, was stuffing two garbage bags with his belongings this afternoon. He said he wasn’t going to stay to be arrested.

“If police are going to force us to move, I don’t want to be here. It’s not going to be a picnic,” he said.

He said he’d been at the encampment since Oct 16. He said he was glad he came, that he learned a lot from people with different political views than him

“It’s an experience. It was really nice, like a really tiny city. I never really looked into what the 1960s was like, but if it was like this, it was awesome,” he said.

Ariel Oshinsky, a member of the encampment’s media working group, said there had been discussion of striking the camp, but no decision had been made.

At the same time, she said, “I think a lot of us plan to stay and hold our ground and fight for what we think is right. Nonviolently, of course.”

A general assembly was planned at the camp for 7 p.m. to discuss the protesters’ next move.

Menino said this morning that protesters must move out of the camp or the city would “take further action.”

A Suffolk Superior Court judge on Wednesday declined to issue a preliminary injunction protecting the protesters from eviction, saying their occupation of the square wasn’t protected by the First Amendment.

Up until Wednesday, the city had said it had no plans to move against the encampment, one of a series of protests nationwide on social and economic inequality. On Wednesday, after the judge’s decision, Menino strongly encouraged the protesters to leave.

“It’s apparent that the mayor used silence as a tactic to win the court case by saying all week that he had no plans to shut us down,” said John Ford, Plymouth, 30, the librarian at the protesters’ camp.