Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bus-sized dead satellite may hit Earth on Friday

Comments

• streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    Please hit my ex's house...
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Quote:
    Although there will only be a 20-minute warning before it strikes, NASA spokespeople have stressed that the risk to human life and property from UARS is small.

The giant satellite is expected to break into more than 100 pieces as it enters the atmosphere, with most of it burning up. Debris is expected to scatter over an area 800 kilometres long, with the biggest chunk weighing about 140 kg.....

The risk to human life will be small?
    Fuck me as if 140kg landing on my head wouldn't hurt!
  • monicaamonicaa Posts: 7,109 destroyer of motherfuckers
    how much is 140kg?
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited September 2011
    a 7 ton thing isnt going to land on anyone. Like they said, most will burn up in reentry and there is a small possibility that something the size of a quarter might hit earth and then hit someone. Not that it matters much... a quarter at that speed will have almost the same affect as a large box. Both will kill you. however the quarter might still allow an open casket.
  • monicaamonicaa Posts: 7,109 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    kinda reminds me of that show Dead Like Me. Girl gets killed by a toilet seat cover from space
  • cherry_or_gtfocherry_or_gtfo Posts: 1,348 salt miner
    kinda reminds me of that show Dead Like Me. Girl gets killed by a toilet seat cover from space
    YES! I love that show!
    a 7 ton thing isnt going to land on anyone. Like they said, most will burn up in reentry and there is a small possibility that something the size of a quarter might hit earth and then hit someone.
    Why you gotta bring us back to reality?
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    a 7 ton thing isnt going to land on anyone. Like they said, most will burn up in reentry and there is a small possibility that something the size of a quarter might hit earth and then hit someone. Not that it matters much... a quarter at that speed will have almost the same affect as a large box. Both will kill you. however the quarter might still allow an open casket.
    This isn't a frictionless environment. Something the size of a quarter most probably wouldn't be able to reach the speeds your describing. Unless it's actually possible for quarters to reach speeds of 200+ mph now, I don't know their terminal velocities.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    This isn't a frictionless environment. Something the size of a quarter most probably wouldn't be able to reach the speeds your describing. Unless it's actually possible for quarters to reach speeds of 200+ mph now, I don't know their terminal velocities.
    i dont know if it true, but i have heard from multiple sources that if you dropped a penny off the CN Tower in Toronto it would kill anyone it hit on the ground
    I didn't describe any velocities in my generic comment. You're right in that the limiting factor is the terminal velocity of a object the size of a quarter. I don't know what that is, nor do I have any interest in pulling out a physics books and calculating it out. I'd just think that if I was hit by a quarter traveling s 100 mph, I'd think that would fracture a skull or puncture skin. maybe not.

I am no physics expert!
    i dont know if it true, but i have heard from multiple sources that if you dropped a penny off the CN Tower in Toronto it would kill anyone it hit on the ground
    That would be true if there wasn't friction due to the air, which, unfortunately and uncomedically, exists.
    I passed physics with, literally, a D-.

All through HS I wanted to be a planetary scientist. I took all the math, all the science, and when I got to physics my senior year, I realized it wasn't going to work out.

It's on my list of things I will never fully understand with football and stocks.
    I didn't describe any velocities in my generic comment. You're right in that the limiting factor is the terminal velocity of a object the size of a quarter. I don't know what that is, nor do I have any interest in pulling out a physics books and calculating it out. I'd just think that if I was hit by a quarter traveling s 100 mph, I'd think that would fracture a skull or puncture skin. maybe not.

I am no physics expert!
    I will do it. For humanity. For Mayhem.

No.

For SCIENCE

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Physics and rocket science :X
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Answer is around 110 mph, which is surprisingly quick for a quarter.

I dunno, something tells me the dudes at NASA are better at this than I am, so I'll leave this one to them, but I certainly don't want to be hit in the dome with a quarter sized object going that fast.
    That reminds me...when I was in junior high, I was sitting at a lunch table with the "cool" kids, and one of them did this thing where they snap their fingers with a coin between them and the coin bounced off the table and hit me square in the forehead. It hurt like a bitch. Since I was at the "cool" table, I was trying to brush it off as funny even though it hit so hard I thought my face was bleeding. I ended up crying. It was one of those situations where mentally you don't react with crying, but your body's reaction is to produce tears.
    lol. okay... so now what happens to the human skull when his with a quarter traveling 110 mph? Are you going to take this one for science too? You stand on the side of the road... I'll pass at 110 mph, and toss out a hand full of quarters.... Whose going to youtube this shit?
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    That reminds me...when I was in junior high, I was sitting at a lunch table with the "cool" kids, and one of them did this thing where they snap their fingers with a coin between them and the coin bounced off the table and hit me square in the forehead. It hurt like a bitch. Since I was at the "cool" table, I was trying to brush it off as funny even though it hit so hard I thought my face was bleeding. I ended up crying. It was one of those situations where mentally you don't react with crying, but your body's reaction is to produce tears.
    thats why i avoiding the cool / popular kids at a young age, eventually going to a high school that all the uncool kids went to. great decision on my part. didn't have to deal with asshole jocks at my vocational high school