Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The official greatest game in NBA playoff history thread

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    there was one really bad call last night, but I forgot what it was. I remember thinking "that is total bullshit!" and I was pissed.... but I no longer remember the details.
    well ive been watching bball since i was a baby and i even reffed for a little while and let me tell u, the nba is a freakin joke now..hardly even watchable and is barely basketball
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    well ive been watching bball since i was a baby and i even reffed for a little while and let me tell u, the nba is a freakin joke now..hardly even watchable and is barely basketball
    you're preaching to the choir. I literally stopped watching nba in game 6 of the 2002 western conference finals. I tune in for an occational *part* of a finals game, but that is all. My give a fucks about the nba is zero. The BA = WWE. It is most likely rigged. In case you were too young for that game.... read this cut and paste from wikipedia

The 2002 Western Conference Finals was marred by corruption allegations. On June 10, 2008, convicted NBA referee Tim Donaghy's attorney filed a court document alleging, among other things, that Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings was fixed by two referees. The letter states that Donaghy "learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew Referees A and F to be 'company men', always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series." The Lakers won Game 6, attempting 18 more free throws than the Kings in the fourth quarter, and went on to win the 2002 NBA Finals. The referees were not named, but the Western Conference Finals was the only seven-game series that year.

The document claimed that Donaghy told federal agents that in order to increase television ratings and ticket sales, "top executives of the NBA sought to manipulate games using referees". It also said that NBA officials would tell referees to not call technical fouls on certain players, and states that a referee was privately reprimanded by the league for ejecting a star player in the first quarter of a January 2000 game. Stern denied the accusations, calling Donaghy a "singing, cooperating witness".

In Game 6, O'Neal scored 41 points and had 17 rebounds. Many calls went against the Kings, fouling out all of their centers for the game. The Lakers went on to win narrowly setting the stage for game seven in Sacramento, with the winner advancing to the NBA Finals. Bryant added 31 points in support. There are allegations that this sixth game was affected by the referees in relationship to the Tim Donaghy scandal.[9] The Lakers shot 40 free throws overall, a whopping 27 in the fourth quarter alone, and the Kings' big men were plagued with foul trouble (Divac, Webber, Scot Pollard, and Lawrence Funderburke were called for 20 fouls, Divac and Pollard both fouling out). Webber nearly had a triple double (26 points, 13 rebounds and 8 assists), Bibby scored 23, and Divac had 12 points and 12 rebounds.[10] The Washington Post sports columnist Michael Wilbon responded to the calls in game 6: "I wrote down in my notebook six calls that were stunningly incorrect, all against Sacramento, all in the fourth quarter when the Lakers made five baskets and 21 foul shots to hold on to their championship." For example, Wilbon pointed out that Kobe Bryant did not get a foul call after elbowing Mike Bibby.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NBA_Playoffs
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    Especially since LJ single handily lost it for the heat.
    lolno
    I mean Nola it was so fucked up that Kobe would have the ball at the top of the court, and the closest guy to him is like 3 feet away, and they would call a shooting foul. The kings were like "What the god damn fuck? I was no where NEAR the dude". And the kings were playing awesome that game. No doubt in my mind had the game been called fairly, Sac would have won that game and advanced to the finals! It was bullshit. total bullshit. And that is the day I literally stopped watching the NBA.

I tune in for a finals game every now and then if there isnt a law and order rerun on.... but that is fucking it.
    Idk why people are mad or shocked that the NBA could be rigged or any sport for that matter. It's a business and money is what matters most. sucks but hey thats life.
    ya im familiar with the donaghy scandal, though i dont specfically remember that game, though that seemed to be one isolated ref in that case doing really bad things i do think that all nba refs are 'coached' to ref a certain way and that way be protecting the major stars of the game and giving them the benefit of the doubt in almost all cases. that is just as much bullshit as donaghy imo and it happeneds every game!!
    lolno
    sure he did. they are up by like 10-15 with 6 minutes left... and he wants to hold the ball until there is 3 seconds left on the clock so he can throw up some low percentage off balance heavily covered shot? That is just shitty basketball and that is what LJ did for the last 6 minutes.

They should have drained the clock to 10 seconds and then made high percentage layups. Force Dallas to have to go to the 3 pointers to get themselves out of the hole... that wouldnt have worked out for them. Dallas would have lost. It is LJ holding the ball until their was 3 seconds left on the clock each possession for the final 6 minutes that cost them the game.
    Idk why people are mad or shocked that the NBA could be rigged or any sport for that matter. It's a business and money is what matters most. sucks but hey thats life.
    dear lord what a dumb response.... u should just stick to your Spurs >>> heat type comments lol
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod

ya im familiar with the donaghy scandal, though i dont specfically remember that game, though that seemed to be one isolated ref in that case doing really bad things i do think that all nba refs are 'coached' to ref a certain way and that way be protecting the major stars of the game and giving them the benefit of the doubt in almost all cases. that is just as much bullshit as donaghy imo and it happeneds every game!!
    Sure they are going to say it was isolated. riiiight. and your comment "nba refs are 'coached' to ref a certain way and that way be protecting the major star" - I completely agree. Which is why I dont give a fuck about the nba. its a joke.
    Sure they are going to say it was isolated. riiiight. and your comment "nba refs are 'coached' to ref a certain way and that way be protecting the major star" - I completely agree. Which is why I dont give a fuck about the nba. its a joke.
    we will never know probably but its a scary thought (about more donaghy's)......

the sad thing is that college is trying to more like the nba these days and im like NOOOOOOO stay away lol
    lolno
    sure he did. they are up by like 10-15 with 6 minutes left... and he wants to hold the ball until there is 3 seconds left on the clock so he can throw up some low percentage off balance heavily covered shot? That is just shitty basketball and that is what LJ did for the last 6 minutes.

They should have drained the clock to 10 seconds and then made high percentage layups. Force Dallas to have to go to the 3 pointers to get themselves out of the hole... that wouldnt have worked out for them. Dallas would have lost. It is LJ holding the ball until their was 3 seconds left on the clock each possession for the final 6 minutes that cost them the game.
    It was a defensive collapse. It wasn't James that lost them, it was the whole team. Even if James was holding the ball until 3sec of every possession they still could have won, but they didn't why? cause they didnt play D the last 7min. Wasn't James was the whole god damn team. Haslem should have went over the minute he saw Dirk take a move on Bosh. No help D and easy bucket.
    dear lord what a dumb response.... u should just stick to your Spurs >>> heat type comments lol
    lol right. You are retarded if you dont think that's true. NBA is a prime example of it along with the NFL. All about the money, all about the money.
    It was a defensive collapse. It wasn't James that lost them, it was the whole team. Even if James was holding the ball until 3sec of every possession they still could have won, but they didn't why? cause they didnt play D the last 7min. Wasn't James was the whole god damn team. Haslem should have went over the minute he saw Dirk take a move on Bosh. No help D and easy bucket.
    I contend that putting Defense into cruise control would have been fine had LJ or Wade just kept making high percentage shots, instead of last second off balance heavily covered hucks towards the rim.

They are up by 15, if they keep scoring 2 every possession, Dallas has no chance to get back in it by matching them. And it seemed that LJ was most responsible for draining the clock to 3 seconds so he should take more of the blame.

Surely you must agree that Miami played a much better game and should have had no problems winning that game.
    lol right. You are retarded if you dont think that's true. NBA is a prime example of it along with the NFL. All about the money, all about the money.
    im not saying your comment isnt true about how its money oriented, just that im not supposed to be shocked, heaven forbid i actually expect a fair game to be played..... that is not to much to ask and we should expect this caliber of reffing...not just say "well money is involved so its prolly gonna be rigged, lets just watch it the way it is..."
    The NFL is actually called fairly good. The better teams win the games, where that is not always the case in the NBA.
    The NFL is actually called fairly good. The better teams win the games, where that is not always the case in the NBA.
    yah as much as the nfl is getting gayer every year, the games are reffed a shit ton better...i still wish the nfl would give up on all those dumbass personal foul calls tho
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    Omg...so much derp
    imageimage
    yah as much as the nfl is getting gayer every year, the games are reffed a shit ton better...i still wish the nfl would give up on all those dumbass personal foul calls tho
    yeah.... I also don't like the celebration calls either. You get into the endzone, give me a good dance. its fucking football... other team doesnt like it...