Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Djent bands

SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
edited April 2011 in Off Topic

Comments

• That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Periphery

/thread
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Is confused
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Any djent bands with harsh vocals?
    I'm possibly doing harsh vox for a djent band and I'd like to know the style better before I join
    Any djent bands with harsh vocals?
    I'm possibly doing harsh vox for a djent band and I'd like to know the style better before I join
    Periphery
    Any that do strictly harsh vox?
    Closest thing I could think of would be Meshuggah, but I think you're something a bit too specific.
    Ahh ok. Thanks

Animals as Leaders is djent too right?
    Ahh ok. Thanks

Animals as Leaders is djent too right?
    I've seen them listed as that before yes.

Keep in mind that a lot of others don't even consider djent a sub-genre in the first place though.
    Yeah that's what I've heard. I've read that some just consider it a specific sound or style used by many bands
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    the fuck is djent!!!!
  • slip_knotslip_knot Posts: 512 juggalo
    the fuck is djent!!!!
    Is still confused
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    the fuck is djent!!!!
    The sound of the guitar that those bands make, imagine in your head saying djent with the sound of a distorted guitar.

Djent with harsh vocals all the time, best example is Born Of Osiris.

For the record, I don't like these bands, but I do know quite a bit about them.
    My head hurts
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    oh...an onomatopoeia.

While the origin of the word is generally agreed upon, its precise meaning is controversial and it is used in a variety of different ways.

Sound

Djent, in its original meaning, is simply a short, metallic, palm-muted sound made by an electric guitar using mid to high range gain. Another type of sound often referred to as djent is achieved by low tuned, open note syncopated riffing, often used during a breakdown for more metalcore influenced bands (such as Elitist and Structures).

Style

Djent is also used as a stylistic grouping of bands that incorporate these sounds into their music. It is argued by many that this grouping constitutes a new subgenre of metal, but equally many are vehemently opposed to this notion.

Djent drumming is often characterized by complex polyrhythmic patterns, with the snare often maintaining a 4/4 pulse, while the bass drum follows the rhythmic patterns of the guitar playing. Djent drumming is very well known for its likeness to jazz in the sense of its use of numerous ghost notes and its steady pulse (usually on the hi-hat). Djent drummers include Travis Orbin of Sky Eats Airplane and Navene Koperweiz of Animals as Leaders.

Though djent incorporates heavy and polyrhythmic guitar riffs, polyrhythmic drum beats, and harsh vocals, it also incorporates ambient, melodic passages, utilizing clean and chorused guitar tones and conventionally sung vocals. Some djent bands are instrumental, such as Animals as Leaders.

As a style descriptor, it describes music that makes use of the palm-muted chord that the word originally referred to. This leaves room for various other musical qualities, with only one element that remains consistent across bands and songs. Many modern progressive metal bands have been associated with the genre when their use of the chord is in fact limited. This seems to be in accordance with the typical evolution of a musical genre.[2] Modern progressive metal bands may be mislabeled as Djent simply because Djent bands take much influence from the progressive metal genre, meaning that these bands share many stylistic traits such as odd time signatures, technically challenging and complex instrumentation and unclean vocals. Recent trends also tend to feature generous use of keyboards, ambient sounds, minimal-to-extensive use of synthesizers and programmed electronics and heavy digital processing.
    Djent is a movement in the underground metal scene. The word 'djent' is an onomatopoeia for a heavily palm-muted, distorted guitar chord. It is believed to have been coined by Meshuggah guitarist Fredrik Thordendal and is generally considered to have been made popular by Misha "Bulb" Mansoor of Periphery.[1] Typically, the word is used to refer to music that makes use of this sound, to the sound itself, or to the scene that revolves around it. Its meaning is the subject of much debate, and there is some considerable controversy in regards to its classification as a new subgenre. The internet has been key to the development and distribution of Djent music, with websites such as got-djent.com, SoundCloud and the guitarist's forum sevenstring.org playing a large part in creating fanbases for many more popular Djent bands such as Periphery.
    That's what Wikipedia told me
    That word is pissing me off