Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

MY COM CLASS "HIRE ME SPEECH"

GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner
edited March 2011 in Off Topic
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT MAKES YOU WANT TO HIRE ME AS A CAD MANAGER

Hello Mr. Antone, thank you for taking the time to meet with me today. My name is Kevin Joseph Clarke and I can’t wait to get started as your new CAD Manager. I currently hold the position of CAD Operator at Newcomer-Lee Land surveying based out of Wailuku Maui. For the past five years I have worked diligently on the implementation of CAD standards and procedures, witch have greatly increased the company’s efficiency. I oversee every aspect of our CAD department’s projects on a daily basis and am ready to take on more changing projects in a management position.

Before my time at Newcomer-Lee, I was working for Advanced Automation Engineering designing smart homes, as a CAD Operator in San Jose California, while attending a wide range of CAD courses at De Anza Community College. At AAE I played a instrumental role in the company’s transition to all digital drawing, along with implementation of CAD Standards.

Previous to my time at AAE I held a position at T.R.C. Landscaping as Draftsman. I was hired on to assist in their upgrade from hand drawn maps to digital maps. I was only with TRC for half a year but in that short time I got there drafting department transformed into a much more efficient CAD department. Once again I implemented CAD standards and refined drafting procedures.

I have been an active member of A.U.G.I. and attend their annual meeting here in Hawaii. I received my A.S. degree in drafting technologies in 2001 from Truckee Meadows Community College in Reno Nevada and I am continuing my education in pursuit of a bachelor in Civil Engineering. I also attended many CAD and CAD related vocational training courses offered by Viatech here on the Maui College campus.
I am highly self-motivated and an excellent communicator. I know that I will be a great asset to your CAD department and AutoDesk as a whole. I look forward to a profitable and mutually beneficial future here at AutoDesk. Are there any questions or would you like me to elaborate on any of my education and/or work history?

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    I WOULD HIRE THE FUCK OUT OF YOU
  • Bottle_TreeBottle_Tree Posts: 7,166 just the tip
    Make it all in caps and you're set.
  • GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner
    YEAH!!!!!

I WOULD BUT I HAVE TO TURN IN MY SPEECH AFTER I GIVE IT IN FRONT OF CLASS AND I WILL GET DOCKED POINTS FOR GRAMMAR :-(

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    No. I would not even give you a call back if I was Mr. Antone. Perhaps if you had nailed the interview, I might overlook such a poorly worded follow up letter. This is for a speech class? What grade level? Want some constructive pointers?
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited March 2011
    No. I would not even give you a call back if I was Mr. Antone. Perhaps if you had nailed the interview, I might overlook such a poorly worded follow up letter. This is for a speech class? What grade level? Want some constructive pointers?
    lol hes in college
    lol hes in college
    Grade level is acceptable term for college as well. Is this a 100 level, 200 level, 300 level, 400 level, graduate.

• ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    lol hes in college
    Grade level is acceptable term for college as well. Is this a 100 level, 200 level, 300 level, 400 level, graduate.

never dealt with anything remotely related to college so i wouldn't know
  • DeceasedFantasyDeceasedFantasy Posts: 157 salt miner
    YEAH!!!!!

I WOULD BUT I HAVE TO TURN IN MY SPEECH AFTER I GIVE IT IN FRONT OF CLASS AND I WILL GET DOCKED POINTS FOR GRAMMAR :-(

they wont dock gramer points if you yell the entire speech to them, that way it could be in caps
    edited March 2011
    Here are my constructive comments about that letter, and I am not trying to be an asshole.

1. You have no obvious direction in the letter, and it doesn't seem as if you have any real reason to be writing him other then trying to give him some bs interview follow up letter.

2. There is no structure. it is just kinda reads and a bunch on words strung together. If I was writing this sort of letter, I would probably make the structure be something like (each roman numeral is a different paragraph.)

I. Introduction and make it clear you are going to talk about II. III. IV.
    II. Work experience related to position
    III. Ideas you have for improving their product line
    IV. Ideas you have for managing employees
    V. Conclude it up.

The idea of those type of letters is to really sell yourself and get across to the hiring manager why he needs you as opposed to the other hundred chumps that applied for the job. Your letter fails at that.
    FIRST OFF THIS IS THE SPEECH NOT A FOLLOW UP

I HAVE GOTTEN EVERY JOB I EVER INTERVIEWED FOR, SO I GUESS I HAVE A KNACK FOR NAILING INTERVIEWS AS YOU PUT IT

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION 131 CLASS

I FEEL THAT THIS CLASS IS A JOKE FTR BUT I STILL WANT MY A+

BRING ON THE CONSTRUCTIVE POINTERS

I know it was a speech for a class, I can read English. This speech for your class is obviously a "follow up letter" because you started it out with "thank you for taking the time to meet with me today.".

I wasnt saying anything personal about you or your ability to interview. I just felt the speech didnt really drive home the point you were trying to make with the letter. I think you could do better basically.
    Here are my constructive comments about that letter, and I am not trying to be an asshole.

1. You have no obvious direction in the letter, and it doesn't seem as if you have any real reason to be writing him other then trying to give him some bs interview follow up letter.

2. There is no structure. it is just kinda reads and a bunch on words strung together. If I was writing this sort of letter, I would probably make the structure be something like (each roman numeral is a different paragraph.)

I. Introduction and make it clear you are going to talk about II. III. IV.
    II. Work experience related to position
    III. Ideas you have for improving their product line
    IV. Ideas you have for managing employees
    V. Conclude it up.

The idea of those type of letters is to really sell yourself and get across to the hiring manager why he needs you as opposed to the other hundred chumps that applied for the job. Your letter fails at that.

THE CLASS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LETTER WRITING.

THE FOCUS OF THE SPEECH IS ON NON VERBAL COMMUNICATION I AM LIMITED TO 2 MINUTES.

THE OFFICIAL TITLE OF MY SO CALLED LETTER IS SPEECH OUTLINE

THERE IS A VERY STRONG OVERALL MESSAGE - I AM THE BEST CANDIDATE FOR CAD MANAGER POSITION

OH YEAH AND THE WHOLE THING IS MAKE PRETEND BUT WE NEEDED TO USE A REAL COMPANY

YEAH!!!!!

they wont dock gramer points if you yell the entire speech to them, that way it could be in caps
    TRUE

EXCEPT I HAVE TO TURN IN MY SPEECH OUTLINE

I know it was a speech for a class, I can read English. This speech for your class is obviously a "follow up letter" because you started it out with "thank you for taking the time to meet with me today.".

I wasnt saying anything personal about you or your ability to interview. I just felt the speech didnt really drive home the point you were trying to make with the letter. I think you could do better basically.
    NO NEED TO GET SNIPPY

HOW DO YOU SUGGEST I DRIVE HOME THE POINT?

RUNNING OUT OF TIME

HELP ME ASHES
    Mr. Antone,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview me for the position of CAD manager. It was an honor and a pleasure to meet someone that has been so instrumental at making Antone Industries one of the leaders in CAD development. I understand that the appointment of your next CAD manager is an important decision and I thought it might be helpful if I summarized my work experience, ideas I have for improving Antone Industries products, and how I feel my management of the employees will help improve Antone Industries quarterly results.

Currently I hold the CAD operator position at Newcomer-Lee Land surveying based out of Wailuku Maui. For the past ten years I have worked diligently on the implementation of CAD standards and procedures, which have greatly increased the company’s efficiency and saved an estimated 13.2 million dollars from their yearly operational expenses. I had 18 direct reports, and though my Industry contacts I was able to bring in 130 million of new revenue and keep my direct reports busy without any gaps between contracts. Prior to my time at AAE, I held a position at T.R.C. Landscaping as Draftsman. I was hired on to assist in their upgrade from hand drawn maps to digital maps. I was only with TRC for half a year, but in that short time I transformed their drafting department into a much more efficient CAD department by refining drafting procedures.

Although Antone Industries is a leader in CAD development, I believe there are many areas where I can make an immediate impact. The policies and procedures that I implemented in Newcomer-Lee and T.R.C are very applicable. These policies help insure structure to the designs, while being able to automatically leverage previous designs and tools. I see no reason why a CAD engineer must 'redesign the wheel' every time he starts a new project. Implementation of my policies and procedures will most certainly save the company 30% of their GDP when fully utilized.

My management style is one of encouragement. I believe in treating my employees with the respect that I expect them to treat me. My door is always open and I enjoy fostering creativity and competition for new and exciting projects. If your employees are excited about coming to work, the output of their efforts will be some of the industry best.

The quality of questions I received during the interview was a real testament to your team and the attention to detail they provide to their work. I enjoyed discussing some of the challenging problems they presented, yet was humbled by their dedication to the job. I believe that with my management style and experience I have with optimizing a CAD department, that we can take Antone Industries to new heights. I look forward to discussing with you further ways that we can add to the success of Antone Industries

Sincerely,
    Gultch
    That is the basic structure I would have.... Not saying it is perfect... That was a rough draft. Just seems that if you want a management job you need to highlight the management qualities you have .
    That is the basic structure I would have.... Not saying it is perfect... That was a rough draft. Just seems that if you want a management job you need to highlight the management qualities you have .
    IT LOOKS GREAT BUT WAY OUT OF THE SCOPE OF THIS COURSE

AND IF I MEMORIZE THIS IT WILL BE OVER 2 MINUTES

I AGREE THAT I SHOULD PUT MORE EMPASIS ON MANAGMENT STYLE AND TECHNIQUE

KEEP IN MIND THIS COURSE IS ABOUT SPEAKING NOT WRITING

MY FELLOW CLASS MATES ARE APPLYING FOR JOBS LIKE WAITRESS, KINDERGARTEN TEACHER, ZUMBA INSTRUCTOR, BAGAGE HANDLER, NO ONE IN MY CLASS IS GOING FOR ANYTHING PROFESSIONAL.
    THIS IS A ENTRY LEVEL COM CLASS AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE ON MAUI

CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR YOUR EVALUATION BUT UNDERSTAND IT WILL BE MY PRESENCE MORE SO THEN INFORMATION I CONVEY THAT I AM GRADED ON

alright :) Yeah when you said it was a 131 class I figured I was putting too much thought into it, but oh well. I did see a typo in your original speech. hold on, ill find it.