Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

yo Nolaz

Comments

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    word! sounds good man \m/
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Kashmir has more than one riff, come on now.....
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    ok, maybe 2. Kasmir FTL, that song wouldn't be anywhere near my top 10 Zep songs.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    No, more than 2. Try again.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    I just dont like the song. I think it is repetitive and gives me a headache just thinking about it. I love zep, but cant stand that song.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    stairway
    thank you
    goin to cali
    immigrant song
    over the hills
    great list. Over the Hills is the only one I might swap out for another song for my top 5.
    hey... search is working again.

So I finally got Tom Waits on my ipod.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Well it took me so long because I needed to reinstall my OS, and I've been busy adding albums back to my new itunes, but I have to double check file names, and details and such. I'm OCD like that...

Anyways... I now have on my ipod The Black Rider, Bone Machine: The operator's manual, The Heart of Saturday Night, Rain Dogs, and Swordfishtrombones.

I've only listened to Swordfishtrombones currently. It was good, but I wasnt blown away. I will give it several more listens though because I get the feeling Tom Waits is someone that grows on you. Of the albums I listed, you can give my a recommendation of what to listen next and i'll put it on.
    well Tom Waits has a significant change in sound during his career...Swordfishtrombone is the first album of that dramatic switch....when i first listened to tom waits i did not like his albums after the change really at all. these albums being bone machine, franks wild years, rain dogs, etc....those albums DEF need time to grow on you becuase they are soo different from any other kind of music that is out there, unless your familiar with Captain Beefheart....toms earlier albums IMO are much more accessible to the first time listeners..these albums being Heart of saturday night, nighthawks, the early years, and small change...those would be the albums i suggest to you right off the bat..if you give me an album i can tell you the standout tracks of that album on swordfishtrombone the best songs IMO are:

soldiers things
    shore leave
    johnsonburg ill
    just another sucker on the vine
    swordfishtrombone

the decent ones are

town with no cheer
    down down down
    in the neighborhood
    dave the butcher

the meh ones are
    troubles braids
    gin soaked boy (though alot of peeps love this song)
    rainbirds
    16 sheels from a 30.06
    you confused me... so you are saying I should listen to "The Heart of Saturday Night" next? over The Black Rider, Bone Machine: The operator's manual, , Rain Dogs - because those albums arent accessible? I didnt think Swordfishtrombones was bad or difficult to listen too... I rarely like an album on the first listen, and usually takes me a few times to really sink in what they were trying to do. I then decide if it is for me or not....

Sometimes I listen to something and know it is shit and listen no more. First impressions of Tom was not that.
    well swordfishtrombone isnt THAT crazy but some stuff after that album are more experimental for the first time listener....i would suggest for you to listen to swordfishtrombone, rain dogs, heart of saturday night, and mule variations... on these for albums you can see the drastic changes he makes in sound and style yet still show his true genius and how well he can just change everything and still be amazing...there is no artists out there that does what he does, hes everything i love in music and what a musical artist should aspire to be...he does his own thing, never sold out and isseemingly still getting better with time whe
    My first impression was I saw simularties between him and Zappa. And what you just said about Waits, I would have said the same about Zappa
    like i said before i really like zappa as a dood, i find him fascinating and ive read a bunch of his quotes and thoughts on alot of things and rally like them. but if were talkin strictly musical talent imo waits is light years ahead of zappa, though i think they have a similar attitude towards music
    I was only noticing the similarities on the surface... Both are iconoclasts, have gravelly voices, and use jazz heavily in their music, so it's natural to associate the two.

I've read a few sites where people were trying to compare the two, and it seems that people usually pick a side and hate the other. I don't quite get that right now... Why do you gotta pick a side?

Tom Waits fans usually claim that Zappa is 1. noodly 2. sophomoric in comedy while they think Waits is a incredible poet and lyricist. Zappa fans usually claim that Waits was 1. an actor and his music was just one big act and that Zappa was an incredible soloist and the music compositions were amazing.
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    poz0rz [-(

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

imo

musically
    waits >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> zappa

idea, thoughts and attitude toward music and just general a cool dood

waits = zappa
    I reserve the right to make an opinion later when I actually know Waits. Right now I'd say Zappa is a billion times better, but then again I've only listened to one Waits album.

And Catz.... Zappa is not poser music. Zappa is very much relevant to metal.