Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

official noob torrent thread

cheech9_4offcheech9_4off Posts: 942 just the tip
edited January 2011 in Off Topic
im an absolute noob when it comes ot downloading stuff. yes i still buy all of my music and movies and im just getting into downloading stuff at all. i never even used linewire, kazaa, napster etc back in the day. rather than derail the torrent request thread i figured id make a new one. if theres one already explaining how to do everything, my bad, point me to it. would someone like to explain pretty much step by step to download music and movies for free with torrent sites and such. i have utorrent downloaded already. thanks dudes

inb4welcometothe21stcentury

Comments

• Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    um first advice never install limewire kazzaa or any other file sharing program viruses will ruin your puter.... stick with Megaupload and rapidshare youll have to instal rar file extractor though cuz retards there wont use zip

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

• cheech9_4offcheech9_4off Posts: 942 just the tip
    ya thats why i never used those back in the day
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Avoid file sharing programs and stick with what you downloaded which is utorrent. Now just download torrents from websites like thepiratebay and mediafire
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    i dont usually download stuff either...
    only time i really download stuff is if i find it on blogs. i download RAR. files, and use 7ZIP to extract
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    edited January 2011
    alright cool. i just gotta learn how to use them lol. i just havent sat down and actually do it. thanks

edit. ya im really only looking for it to DL the select pop and rap that i like and some good music that i dont really want to spend money on if im not too sure about it
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    When you're downloading torrents off websites look at the comments of the torrent and see what people say about it. If the torrent has a bunch of seeders/leechers its probably legit.

If you're downloading music and there happens to be an .exe file inside do not open it.
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.

If you're downloading music and there happens to be an .exe file inside do not open it.
    why exactly?

why exactly?
    Because .exe files are programs. If there's a program for some reason in the music you're downloading, it's probably a virus.
    .iso files are fine though.
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    I use utorrent and piratebay or demonoid
    I don't use utorrent I use bittorrent.

why exactly?
    Because .exe files are programs. If there's a program for some reason in the music you're downloading, it's probably a virus.
    ^That.

why exactly?
    ^That.
    ahh thanks... didnt know that

When you're downloading torrents off websites look at the comments of the torrent and see what people say about it. If the torrent has a bunch of seeders/leechers its probably legit.

how many would you consider to be a legit file

how many would you consider to be a legit file

Thats a tough question... it depends on the site and the popularity of whatever you are trying to download.

I'd say if there are at least 10-15+ seeders and if a bunch of people are trying to leech it (download) you should be all set. Like I said check the comments and on most sites you can actually look at the files inside the torrent without actually downloading it.
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    shit from mediafire and megaupload aren't really torrents though, since you don't need to have seeders in order to dl them
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    I used utorrent and mainly kickasstorrents.com..has everything I need
    And what I can't find, I rar or zip that shit.
    image Photobucket
  • cannibiscorpsecannibiscorpse Posts: 5,577 salt miner
    Mediafire FTW! If you're downloading individual albums downloading is the way to go.
    If you're getting stuff like discographies it's good to torrent them
    edited January 2011
    right now im otrenting the trivium discography from pirate bay and seems to be good.

edit: ill prob try mediafire next maybe. or just go ot sleep lol
    ^I dl'd that and my only complaint is the volume is fucked up. It's way louder than normal files.