Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Very strange occurrances lately...

OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
edited January 2011 in Off Topic
Alright so lately as you may know, I have been listening to God Is An Astronaut. I love them... their music is incredibly hypnotic and relaxing to me. But it's having a very strange effect on my mind.

It's bringing up memories that I have completely forgotten... things buried inside my mind... images and moments from my early childhood (no, not being raped or molested or anything like that. That's never happened to me)... good memories, but strange and exotic feelings. It's hard to explain. Kind of like Deja Vu, but not.

This has been happening each and every time I listen to them. I've found that it really hits me hard when I listen to "Golden Sky" (posted below.) It's quite frightening, to be honest. Yet it's addicting and peaceful. I'm also getting this feeling where it feels as if my spine is being gradually and gently lifted out of my back. Like I said, this is extremely bizarre.

I don't know if anybody here is familiar with any sort of scientific terminology or has had any experiences such as this, but I would like to hear your input. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI5ZeC7vecM
I love winning with women

Comments

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I haven't had a song give me flashbacks or anything, but Dearly Beloved (The Kingdom Hearts theme song, yea, laugh all you want.) makes me really focus and think about literally EVERYTHING in life, friends, depression, happiness, my death, just everything, and it brings me to tears almost every time I listen to it if I let myself get sucked in. I love the song nonetheless and the sort of "trance" it puts me into.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Drugs are bad mmkay
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I'm not high, and I really don't want to listen to GIAA high. If it has this much of an effect on me sober, I don't want to know what it can do to me while under the influence.
    Do some
    Angel dust and listen.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    edited January 2011
    And here's the other thing:

Since I've been listening to them while going to sleep, I've been able to consciously control my dreams. Not what I do in them, but how they operate. I have been able to change the environment and the events which occur.

I swear on whatever you hold most sacred that I am NOT making ANY of this up.
    I cannot swear on my Adrian smith iron maiden pick I just cannot do it
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    <_>
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    something similar happens to me...... but with SLEEPMAKESWAVES

its the magic of post-rock
    also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otUxKkxisVw

i think it has something to do with the frequency of the music and how it affects your ear drum/balance..... may be why it only happens when (I) listen to the music with headphones
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    I've had this happen before. As far as a scientific explanation, I tried googling it but no dice. It probably has something to do with a spike in serotonin levels or the fact that you are so relaxed and focused, similar to meditation.

As far as the dreams thing, coincidental?
    Wake-initiated lucid dreams (WILD)

The wake-initiated lucid dream occurs when "the sleeper enters REM sleep with unbroken self-awareness directly from the waking state".[30] There are many techniques aimed at entering a WILD. The key to these techniques is recognizing the hypnagogic stage, which is within the border of being awake and being asleep. If a person is successful in staying aware while this stage occurs, that person will eventually enter the dream state while being fully aware that it is a dream.

There are key times when this state is best entered. While success at normal bedtime after having been awake all day is difficult, it is relatively easy after sleeping for 3–7 hours or in the afternoon during a nap. Techniques for inducing WILDs abound. Dreamers may count, envision themselves climbing or descending stairs, chant to themselves, control their breathing, count their breaths to keep their thoughts from drifting, concentrate on relaxing their body from their toes to their head, or allow images to flow through their "mind's eye" and envision themselves jumping into the image to maintain concentration and keep their mind awake, while still being calm enough to let their bodies sleep.

During the actual transition into the dream state, dreamers are likely to experience sleep paralysis, including rapid vibrations,[20] a sequence of loud sounds, and a feeling of twirling into another state of body awareness, or of "drifting off into another dimension", or like passing the interface between water into air, face front, body first, or the gradual sharpening and becoming "real" of images or scenes they are thinking of and trying to visualize gradually, which they can actually "see", instead of the indefinite sensations they feel when trying to imagine something while wide awake.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    God is an Inception
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    GiaA is a great band, but I haven't had flashbacks or anything while listening to them, or any band really.
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    God Is An Astronaut has some great tunes.
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    its the aliens, baby
    imageimage
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The same thing happened again last night... I was able to consciously alter the environment (although, I wasn't fully conscious that I was dreaming... just that I had control over what happened.) This is all very odd. And in response to the lucid dreaming thing, I find it very intriguing and would like to go deeper into something like that.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    You should get really really drunk or high and then do it. You won't die man. Just do it. All the cool kids are doing it