Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

World may very well end on winter solstice of 2012

Comments

• StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip

The Mayans never predicted an apocalyptic event on Dec 21. 2012. Religious fanatics searching for any reason to believe the world is going to end created that idea.
    this
    the Mayans stopped their calander because...

1. They got killed off before making yet another new calander
    2. The spanish's filth killed them
    fixed*
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Even N.A.S.A. Said the world isn't going to end on 2012, I'll post the link if anyone wants it. They said it's technically impossible for there to be a polar shift, so that's out.

As far as the Mayan calendar, it just restarts. Ours just did on January 1st. That's the biggest load of bullshit.

As far as an asteroid or nuclear war, that's technically a potential threat ant ANY time, not just 12/21/12, so yea.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep

The Mayans never predicted an apocalyptic event on Dec 21. 2012. Religious fanatics searching for any reason to believe the world is going to end created that idea.
    this
    Actually they predicted an "event" of such proportions that made them think the world would end, I would expect something of an Ice Age to be honest.
    edited January 2011

this
    Actually they predicted an "event" of such proportions that made them think the world would end, I would expect something of an Ice Age to be honest.
    no... they knew it would be the ending of a sun cycle.

what they predicted was that the ending of this cycle would cause an age of enlightenment in humanity. Free from any forms of "slavery"; albeit physical or mental. (AKA Religion).

THIS is where the religious started deeming this the end of the world... because they felt that IF the Mayans were to be right with this Enlightenment age; then the world would not need their religion anymore. And to them.... it would be equivalent to the end of the world.
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    edited January 2011
    You guys aren't mentioning the fact that their calendar happened to end on a galactic alignment that only happens ever 23,000-odd years. No, I don't think the world is going to end. Yes, I think we're gonna get fucked up.

Edit: Nevermind you guys did. I stand by my prediction that the magnetic poles are going to go hectic in 2012, and a solar flare will knock out all electric grids or something like that.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    I just want zombies.

You guys aren't mentioning the fact that their calendar happened to end on a galactic alignment that only happens ever 23,000-odd years. No, I don't think the world is going to end. Yes, I think we're gonna get fucked up.
    the Mayans based their calendars strictly on astronomy. They were 1000 times the better astronomers than the fools at NASA; i really dont think that the end of the calendar falling on this alignment is simply coincidence.
    the Mayans based their calendars strictly on astronomy. They were 1000 times the better astronomers than the fools at NASA; i really dont think that the end of the calendar falling on this alignment is simply coincidence.
    Neither do I. But I don't think the world is going to end because of it.

People are gonna die, though.
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies

Edit: Nevermind you guys did. I stand by my prediction that the magnetic poles are going to go hectic in 2012, and a solar flare will knock out all electric grids or something like that.
    <_>
    Neither do I. But I don't think the world is going to end because of it.

People are gonna die, though.
    <_>

• ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    The world will end because of global calamity and government collapse caused by idiots who thought the world will end.
    The world will end because of global calamity and government collapse caused by idiots who thought the world will end.
    lol
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Q: Could a phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?
    A: There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades, Earth will not cross the galactic plane in 2012, and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible. Each December the Earth and sun align with the approximate center of the Milky Way Galaxy but that is an annual event of no consequence.

Q: What is the polar shift theory? Is it true that the earth’s crust does a 180-degree rotation around the core in a matter of days if not hours?
    A: A reversal in the rotation of Earth is impossible. There are slow movements of the continents (for example Antarctica was near the equator hundreds of millions of years ago), but that is irrelevant to claims of reversal of the rotational poles. However, many of the disaster websites pull a bait-and-shift to fool people. They claim a relationship between the rotation and the magnetic polarity of Earth, which does change irregularly, with a magnetic reversal taking place every 400,000 years on average. As far as we know, such a magnetic reversal doesn’t cause any harm to life on Earth. A magnetic reversal is very unlikely to happen in the next few millennia, anyway.

Sorry gaiz.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Even N.A.S.A. Said the world isn't going to end on 2012, I'll post the link if anyone wants it. They said it's technically impossible for there to be a polar shift, so that's out.

As far as the Mayan calendar, it just restarts. Ours just did on January 1st. That's the biggest load of bullshit.

As far as an asteroid or nuclear war, that's technically a potential threat ant ANY time, not just 12/21/12, so yea.
    Who gives a fuck what NASA says
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG

Who gives a fuck what NASA says
    Scientists be talkin' shit, gettin' me pissed.
    Jay gives a fuck what NASA says.

• BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    He gave them unlimited whoppers for free rockets.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    "There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades, Earth will not cross the galactic plane in 2012"
    <_>