Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official 2024 Detroit Lions Thread**

Comments

• LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited December 2017
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    People care a lot more about football than other sports. The lions expect a ship with stafford. It isn't gonna happen. 
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    edited December 2017
    The author in that article is talking out of his ass. All 4 head coaches of the major sports in Detroit have been under fire by their fanbases in the last year. All except Caldwell are white. Ausmus (Tigers) and Blashill (Red Wings) were/are treated just as harshly in the media. Caldwell has done good work with Stafford but it's obvious the team has gone as far as they can go with him and his staff. They could do worse than Caldwell, but if they want to go farther than being a fringe playoff contender every year they have to take the risk. 
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    I know delusion over there doesn't want to believe but Stafford ain't the answer. He still hasn't shown me anything in his 9 seasons with the team that he's capable of winning a ship. I don't want to hear about it's not him it's the OL or coaches. Rodgers seems to do just fine playing by himself. I constantly see Stafford throw unnecessary picks or hold onto the ball way too long in clutch situations and ends up getting sacked or fumbles the football. Dude had Calvin Johnson and couldn't even make it past one round. He's definitely the best QB Detroit has ever had but that isn't saying much. Gonna end up the Phil Rivers of the Lions. 

edited December 2017
    Stafford was roughly a top 5 QB statistically this year with literally the worst run game, no pass protection, and a defense that completely collapsed. He's taken more hits than any QB in the last two seasons, suffered various injuries, still made 114 straight starts. Under Caldwell he's become more accurate and efficient and his turnovers have gone down.

He's not Rodgers or Brady, but you're talking about 2 of the best QBs to ever play the game. Stafford's just as good as anyone else. He got better after Calvin Johnson retired

But yeah, the other flaws with this team are just excuses and Stafford should be perfect. Rodgers never has any bad games, nope. 
    edited December 2017

Here is where Stafford ranks among 2017 NFL quarterbacks thru Week 16.

Passing Yards (4th)
    QB rating (6th)
    Passing Yards/Attempts (3rd)
    Passing Touchdowns (5th)
    Deep ball QB rating (1st)

With the league's worst run game with no ability to convert in short-yardage situations, and a revolving door offensive line (10 different combinations this season). He's tied for his career high in sacks (45) while leading the league in missed sacks (20 before week 16).

edited December 2017
    You pulling these stats out your ass? 

Improved QB but the PPG is down? How dat work? 

The only reason why Stafford's stats look like that is cause he rarely throws the ball more than 6 yards now. Can't play ball like Alex Smith and Flacco if you don't have a run game or defense behind you. 

Keep disagreeing faggot that's why I don't talk to you

Yet he's the best QB in the league at throwing the deep ball....? 
    6IX9INE said:
    The only reason why Stafford's stats look like that is cause he rarely throws the ball more than 6 yards now. Can't play ball like Alex Smith and Flacco if you don't have a run game or defense behind you. 
    And that's on who? Who calls the plays? Sure as shit isn't Stafford who designed the offense.
    If Stafford could read defenses he would know when to follow his gut and change the play

6IX9INE said:
    You're the one spewing hot takes, not me. "Stafford isn't the answer because he's not Aaron Rodgers" is your argument. How do you plan to legitimately upgrade from Stafford right now?
    Yet he's the best QB in the league at throwing the deep ball....? 
    based off of how many throws? You can throw 4 and catch 4 and that's 100%. Doesn't mean anything

edited December 2017
    6IX9INE said:
    You're the one spewing hot takes, not me. "Stafford isn't the answer because he's not Aaron Rodgers" is your argument. How do you plan to legitimately upgrade from Stafford right now?
    Wtf I never said it's because he's not Rodgers. I said it's because he hasn't taken his game to the next level. With someone like Stafford and Megatron we should have least gotten a ship. There's many issues with the team but you can't take a blind eye to Stafford just because you like him. And there's no one to upgrade

id trade for Jimmy G doe. 

6IX9INE said:
    I know delusion over there doesn't want to believe but Stafford ain't the answer. He still hasn't shown me anything in his 9 seasons with the team that he's capable of winning a ship. I don't want to hear about it's not him it's the OL or coaches. Rodgers seems to do just fine playing by himself. I constantly see Stafford throw unnecessary picks or hold onto the ball way too long in clutch situations and ends up getting sacked or fumbles the football. Dude had Calvin Johnson and couldn't even make it past one round. He's definitely the best QB Detroit has ever had but that isn't saying much. Gonna end up the Phil Rivers of the Lions. 
    This is what I'm referring to. You're complaining that he's not Rodgers, well no shit, nobody is.

Stafford's playing as well as he ever has. Again, he's improved under Caldwell and improved after Calvin left. There's no evidence to suggest he can't have a breakout MVP year like Matt Ryan did last year. Just give him a damn line that can block and a functional running game. Get some competent players on the defensive line to stop the run and rush the passer. Get a coaching staff who can actually scheme a running game and call plays to the offense's strength. Stafford only turns 30 next year. He's not blameless obviously, but he's far from the problem. If they waste his career it says more about the Lions than Stafford.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    Ed is fucking delusional. There really isnt a QB in the league that can win without a run game. Looked what happened to derrick carr this year when his run game was taken away. He went from an MVP candidate to forgoten in 1 year. If this team can develope some kind of top 15 run game we will win the division with stafford. 
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited December 2017
    You know what’s funny.... there were plenty of decent RBs out there in FA this year and I didn’t hear one peep that Detroit was at all interested. :| 

i agree withnot having a running game is a problem but who’s to blame when the team isn’t fixing that glaring hole? That isn’t a real question. Answer is obvious