Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY FLOATS MY BOAT

Comments

• XenoXeno Posts: 21,032 master of ceremonies
    Also Slayer has the thing going for them that most of their songs are 2-5 minutes long. so there's always a chunk of the set that can be rotated while still getting all the hits out
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    Xenocide said:
    When I ran into Dave Lombardo at a tasty burger I told him I'd seen slayer twice since he left and that they sucked compared to before his exit and he was just like yeah that's expected
    He's the only member of the band that's ever been transcended as a musician. He pretty much wrote the book on extreme metal drumming. He was playing live what a lot of bands could only pull off with drum machines there in the beginning. I think Paul Bostaph is a bad motherfucker, but he's measured against a god
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    I don't think it's necessarily that Lombardo is fast, but more than he's smooth as fuck at the same time. I've seen dozens of extreme metal drummers who can match the speed, but most of the time their transitioning between parts was a little sloppier. 
    inb4lists
    I definitely think there's guys out there that have surpassed him now. IMO he's like the Eddie Van Halen of drumming. His mastery of the double bass set a new mark in the evolution of metal drumming that challenged a generation of young drummers. Similar to Van Halen who was surpassed by the likes of Satriani and Vai, Lombardo has guys that are better now, but I doubt many would deny his influence
    Gene Hoglan, for instance. lol
    inb4lists
    I don't know that Hoglan is better. George Kollias is up there. Flo Mournier...
    SATAN said:
    I definitely think there's guys out there that have surpassed him now. IMO he's like the Eddie Van Halen of drumming. His mastery of the double bass set a new mark in the evolution of metal drumming that challenged a generation of young drummers. Similar to Van Halen who was surpassed by the likes of Satriani and Vai, Lombardo has guys that are better now, but I doubt many would deny his influence
    Well they should have gotten one of the newer, better, more influenced drummers to replace him. There was a time when Bostaph could perform Lombardo's material verbatim but that was the late 90s/early 2000s. His calves just can't keep up anymore. Lombardo on the otherhand still kills it and has some killer live fills that Bostaph pretends don't exist
    SATAN said:
    I don't know that Hoglan is better. George Kollias is up there. Flo Mournier...
    I just meant how Hoglan was basically Lombardo's pupil, and his drum tech early on in Slayer. 

I'd still say Hoglan is much more versatile than Lombardo, at least now. 
    inb4lists
    Beyond his work with Slayer, Lombardo goes and plays with John Zorn and Mike Patton. What other metal drummer would even know what to do with John Zorn? 
    When ran into Lombardo he actually pitched me and my friend that new project Death Cross, even bringing a MetalSucks article about it up on his phone and telling us to check it out. 
    Mike Patton did Six Pack on the West Memphis 3 benefit album and he does hardcore awesome. I can't wait for that album
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,714 spicy boy
    Hoglan >>>>
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    SATAN said:
    Beyond his work with Slayer, Lombardo goes and plays with John Zorn and Mike Patton. What other metal drummer would even know what to do with John Zorn? 
    It is definitely impressive, won't argue that. I'm just thinking about the incredibly long list of bands and artists Hoglan has played with. Idk if i could really say one is better than the other. 
    inb4lists
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Idk man, I still think Slayer is excellent live. Come on, Gary Holt can shred like a motherfucker. And I honestly like Bostaph. As good as Lombardo? No but a great drummer still. Plus he filled in for like 12 years and his drumming on Divine Intervention was the highlight of that album. 
    Ordered a Full Of Hell enamel pin from Cold Cuts merch that they sell for $7.99 on their store,  and they sent me a free The Body hat with it that sells for $29.99 lol
    inb4lists
    Showed the first song I wrote for my new band to my new band today. They like it. They're gonna get keys and drums done this week, and Im gonna get some lyrics written. Finally moving forward.
    edited January 2017
    Had a really good day. Jammed with the new band. Jammed with my coworker after work, and we're gonna start a band. Then went out to some bars with that coworker including a sick barcade and played a lot of classic beat-em-ups. Solid. 
    FUCK. YES

inb4lists
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers