Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official*** 2024 College Football Thread

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Meh. Not much we could do about their offense today. More injuries didn't help either. Story of the season.....

Still excited for the Ohio State game and the bowl game.
    I told you J. You were crazy to even think your D had a chance against that offense.

Why you excited to give OSU the Rose Bowl game for?
    Whatever. We kept it close last year with a worse team. We'll see.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    More reason to hate Ohio State....

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Even if TCU and Boise State run the table, they still don't deserve to be in the Bowl Championship Series title game, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee said Wednesday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, the president at the university with the largest athletic program in the country said that TCU and Boise State do not face a difficult enough schedule to play in the national championship game.

"Well, I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

"So I think until a university runs through that gantlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame."

Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

"If you put a gun to my head and said, 'What are you going to do about a playoff system [if] the BCS system as it now exists goes away?' I would vote immediately to go back to the bowl system," he said.

He said the current system is better for the student-athletes.

"It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism," he said. "I'm a fan of the bowl system and I think that by and large it's worked very, very well."

He cited Ohio State's presence in the 2007 national title game as an example.

The Buckeyes won their first 10 games that season to rise to No. 1 before losing 26-21 at home to unranked Illinois. They fell all the way to No. 8 in the BCS standings.

A series of upsets over the final weeks of the regular season and in other team's conference championship games led to the Buckeyes climbing all the way back to the No. 1 spot in the final BCS standings. They were matched against an LSU team with two losses.

Ohio State led 10-0 early only to have LSU come back and score the next 31 points in a 38-24 victory at the Louisiana Superdome.

"You know, it's a mystery," Gee said. "We were No. 1, then No. 11, then No. 7 and we ended up playing for the national championship. I think I kind of like that mixed-up mystery."

While he was at Vanderbilt, Gee abolished the athletic department since it was underwritten by the university's general fund anyway. He said he has no problem with an Ohio State program that fields 36 intercollegiate varsity teams and has an annual budget exceeding $120 million.

"Here, athletics pays for itself and also pays for academic programs at the institution," he said. "The other thing, of course, that I take a look at and see how well we are doing in terms of that notion of balance, which is what I was all about at Vanderbilt, which I am all about here."

He said Ohio State's eighth-ranked football team, which plays rival Michigan on Saturday, is in the top 10 in the nation not only on the field but also in terms of academic progress.

"That's the kind of balance I want to have," he said.
    So. Cam Newton pretty much won the Heisman today....
    Boise State/Nevada is headed to OT, most likely.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 10,361 balls deep
    edited November 2010
    So if Auburn loses in the SEC championship will that affect them going to the national championship

Same with Oregon I guess
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
    So if Auburn loses in the SEC championship will that affect them going to the national championship

Same with Oregon I guess
    Yeah. Neither of them will go if they lose their next game.
    sweet cuz Id really like to see tcu or boise in the championship
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
    Boise is in OT with Nevada right now...
    i know mayne
    shit nevada has a chance
    HE FUCKNG MISSED IT
    Boise just choked their BCS bowl hopes away.
    damn
    well its been a great day of football I tell ya what
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    I just got out of a brvtal two hour game of NCAA with my friend..Penn State/TCU. I was winrar
    image Photobucket
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    I cried for about an hour after the game...I am going to shoot the kicker.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    hahahahahahahaha
    GO MSU!!!

• MarcusMMarcusM Posts: 2,059 just the tip
    I can't believe that fucking Boise State kicker missed that FG in regulation after that pass to Titus Young....it was straight on!! Then he missed again in OT. FAIL
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    im sick of this shit.....it sucks being a football fan in michigan right now