Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official*** 2024 College Football Thread

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    edited December 2015
    Rex420 said:
    Chris Wormley is coming back \m/
    There was never really any question that he wasn't lol. The ones to worry about are Butt and Henry (Lewis has already said he's staying).
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    I hadn't heard :-??

apperantly he had a bit of NFL buzz 
    He's too inconsistent. Had a few great games and then some games where he was invisible. He needs to work on his run defense.
    Dat secondary is gonna be scary next year. 
  • WineWine Posts: 841 balls deep
    Wine said:
    Also, until Harbaugh makes one of his teams truly great, hold off on calling him a top 5 coach. Harbaugh low key gets an insane amount of benefit of the doubt.
    Uh, there's a reason for that. He doesn't have a championship to his name yet but he's been incredibly successful everywhere he's been, proven track record as a QB coach, and a pretty good eye for talent for coaches and players alike. There's no reason to believe that success won't come if he sticks in one place for a while. He's not infallible but the hype is mostly warranted.
    He's been incredibly successful everywhere he's been except for in SF.  He has an incredible track record with Andrew Luck and Alex Smith really as his two coaching linchpins. One is a generational talent and the other just barely didn't suck.

Let's be honest for a moment here, Harbaugh right now is one of the most overrated coaches in football.    His record of winning week in week out is only matched by his teams losing down the stretch. It's happened throughout his career.  He's not close to one the top 5 coaches in football.
    Yeah cause a SB apperance and three straight NFC championship games isn't successful. 
    Well, when you put it that way, you're right.  The 49ers were consistently the best football team in the NFL until it mattered throughout those years, however.  Harbaugh's success with the 49ers, in my opinion, was more about making the parts equal the sum.  His time at Stanford and this year at Michigan are far more impressive, in my opinion.
    Wine said:
    Wine said:
    Also, until Harbaugh makes one of his teams truly great, hold off on calling him a top 5 coach. Harbaugh low key gets an insane amount of benefit of the doubt.
    Uh, there's a reason for that. He doesn't have a championship to his name yet but he's been incredibly successful everywhere he's been, proven track record as a QB coach, and a pretty good eye for talent for coaches and players alike. There's no reason to believe that success won't come if he sticks in one place for a while. He's not infallible but the hype is mostly warranted.
    He's been incredibly successful everywhere he's been except for in SF.  He has an incredible track record with Andrew Luck and Alex Smith really as his two coaching linchpins. One is a generational talent and the other just barely didn't suck.

Let's be honest for a moment here, Harbaugh right now is one of the most overrated coaches in football.    His record of winning week in week out is only matched by his teams losing down the stretch. It's happened throughout his career.  He's not close to one the top 5 coaches in football.
    Colin Kaepernick? Jake Rudock? Both improved under Harbaugh, dramatically at times. Kaepernick's completely lost without him. I'm surprised you're dismissing three straight NFC championship games and one play away from a Super Bowl championship. Who wouldn't take that? You're usually very level headed, but this reeks of sour grapes. 

Sure, he's a bit overrated. That doesn't mean he's not an excellent coach. He wins wherever he goes, and I don't know how you can dispute that.
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited December 2015
    Yet Michigan exceeded the expectations of everybody. The only game they weren't in was the last one and I'm pretty pretty sure almost everybody else would have been content just with a record over 500
    image Photobucket
    Another aspect to it is, I think it's pretty easy to name at least 5 coaches certainly better than Harbaugh in their present situation.

Belichick
    Arians
    Saban
    Carroll
    Meyer
    Dantonio*

I'd say McElwain needs more time for a track record, but he's close.

*just kidding
    Wine said:
    Wine said:

Colin Kaepernick? Jake Rudock? Both improved under Harbaugh, dramatically at times. Kaepernick's completely lost without him. I'm surprised you're dismissing three straight NFC championship games and one play away from a Super Bowl championship. Who wouldn't take that? You're usually very level headed, but this reeks of sour grapes. 

Sure, he's a bit overrated. That doesn't mean he's not an excellent coach. He wins wherever he goes, and I don't know how you can dispute that.
    Please. I view Harbaugh's time as 49ers coach as my favorite as a fan. I just think that we talk ourselves into him being better than he is.
    Nah he is God 
    Lord harbaugh 
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    How many first year coaches fixing to do this?

image Photobucket
    Damn we should have won that Utah game too. 
    Wine said:
    Please. I view Harbaugh's time as 49ers coach as my favorite as a fan. I just think that we talk ourselves into him being better than he is.
    I mean, he'll probably never be Meyer or Saban, but his work with Rudock this year was amazing to see at the end of the year, and he has an excellent coaching staff, which makes me believe it's sustainable.
    Wine said:
    I mean, he'll probably never be Meyer or Saban, but his work with Rudock this year was amazing to see at the end of the year, and he has an excellent coaching staff, which makes me believe it's sustainable.
    Yeah, I don't know much about Rudock, but the team clearly seemed built around his skill set. Finding the right shaped hole for the peg, I guess.

Isnt that DC getting scooped for Maryland though?
    How many first year coaches fixing to do this?

So much goes into games like this that it's hard to really separate the contributors, but the defensive quality of Michigan is hard to overstate.  I'll say this though, Michigan didn't bring in Harbaugh to have wins over Maryland, NW and BYU be the high points of their season.

Im not saying Harbaugh isn't a great coach, or that Michigan is a bad team and never will be successful.  I've just been down this road with Harbaugh led teams twice, and I think we tend to go overboard with how good he is.
    Durkin got hired at Maryland, yes. Everyone was much less sad to see him leave after his defense got shredded by Indiana and OSU. Some of that wasn't his fault, but that took some shine off of what was otherwise an excellent defensive performance this season. Everyone else is staying put though, and I'm sure Harbaugh will get a suitable replacement. 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    mark dantonio >>>>

da goat