Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Best Metal Band Ever Game (BLACK SABBATH WINS)

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    from wiki

Groove metal bands tend to play mid-tempo thrash riffs focusing on heaviness and groovy syncopation. [2][6] Guitarists generally play low syncopated power chord patterns and mid-paced guitar solos, and occasionally use heavy palm muting.
    The tone is typically described as thick and mid-scooped down with boosted bass and trebles, usually under a harsh distortion. Solid state amplifiers using transistors are commonly used to gain this asymmetrical harmonic clipping sound, although tube amps are used sometimes as well. Like most other heavy metal bass styles, groove metal bass lines typically follow the rhythm guitar riffs but are sometimes used as introduction to a guitar riff or as intermezzi when the guitar riffs are de-emphasized. The use of bass distortion is common.
    Vocals usually consist of thrash metal-styled shouts, hardcore-styled barks, and clean singing. Groove metal drums typically use double-bass drumming, with emphasis on using the double bass drum in waves. Uncommon time signatures and polyrhythms are typical for some bands; generally these bands put heavy emphasis on the changing beat. Groove metal typically follows in a medium tempo, [2] but can vary from band to band or song to song.
    hear so much Pantera in Slaughter in the Vatican it's ridiculous. Phil was an Exhorder fan, and made some tribute music. Cowboys From Hell and Slaughter in the Vatican are very very similar albums, but all the material on Slaughter is older than Cowboys.

Yes phil is a big exhorder fan but i listen to exhorder and pantera alot and dont hear it at all....the exhorder singer sings very thrashy as to say he doesnt change his voice alot, he sings pretty much the same way the whole song/album. Phil switches his voice all the time, sometimes high pitch yells, sometimes low pitch growls etc.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Phil is certainly much more dynamic. But the debate lies in the music, not the vocals.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    but you have been talking about phil this whole time.
    Well i think that pantera's music is alot more dynamic as well, Dimebag switches it up alot in his songs were exhorder doesnt. Exhorder is straight up thrash to me, I listen to slaughter of the vatican and all i hear is thrash, no down tuned breakdowns, no high pitch guitar squeels, just thrash.
    I hear the same things in Exhorder's music, and while they are lesser in quantity in Slaughter in the Vatican, they are certainly prevalent in The Law. If any of the material in The Law is as old as Slaughter is, the argument is fucked. The foundation of Slaughter is thrash, but the groove metal elements are also very evident. What Pantera did was take the logical evolution of Exhorder's music and called it their own.

This argument is neverending, so I would like to end it here, or after your response. I would also like to say though, after reading that wikipedia stuff you just posted, I could hear Exhorder playing the whole time.
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    edited March 2010
    iron maiden 30
    black sabbath 32 +
    slayer 29
    pantera 28
    heaven and hell 0- (Heaven and Hell is gone)
    judas priest 25
    metallica 27
    megadeth 9
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Let me just address one of the paragraphs then...

Vocals usually consist of thrash metal-styled shouts, hardcore-styled barks, and clean singing.
    In pantera yes it does, in exhorder he has the same voice the entire time aka thrash metal shouts...

Groove metal drums typically use double-bass drumming, with emphasis on using the double bass drum in waves.
    This is more common in exhorder i think, i dont know much about drums but i hear the double bass way more in exhorder than pantera.

Uncommon time signatures and polyrhythms are typical for some bands; generally these bands put heavy emphasis on the changing beat. Groove metal typically follows in a medium tempo, [2] but can vary from band to band or song to song.
    This is probably the only place where u can say they are similar because both bands do this.

I hear some similarities but to say pantera is an exhoreder rip off is a rediculous statement and is meant to just upset pantera fans like me, even though i love both bands...
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Wow I forgot this was a game thread
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    imo a very good example of groove metal is dead seeds by lamb of god
  • cannibiscorpsecannibiscorpse Posts: 5,577 salt miner
    is that the only ''groove metal'' you listen too?
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Dammit Britt.

iron maiden 30
    black sabbath 31 -
    slayer 29
    pantera 28
    judas priest 25
    metallica 27
    megadeth 10 +
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • zuke2323zuke2323 Posts: 263 juggalo
    iron maiden 31 +
    black sabbath 31
    slayer 29
    pantera 27 -
    judas priest 25
    metallica 27
    megadeth 10
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    iron maiden 31
    black sabbath 31
    slayer 29
    pantera 28+
    judas priest 25
    metallica 27
    megadeth 9-
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    iron maiden 31
    black sabbath 31
    slayer 29
    pantera 29+
    judas priest 25
    metallica 27
    megadeth 8-
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Iron maiden 31
    black sabbath 31
    slayer 30+
    pantera 28-
    judas priest 25
    metallica 27
    megadeth 8
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Iron maiden 31
    black sabbath 31
    slayer 30
    pantera 29+
    judas priest 25
    metallica 27
    megadeth 7-
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Damn I missed the killshot
    image Photobucket
  • PrimalScream31PrimalScream31 Posts: 3,544 mod
    Iron maiden 30-
    black sabbath 31
    slayer 30
    pantera 29
    judas priest 26+
    metallica 27
    megadeth 7
    photo mayhemsignature2013_zps1209e6fd.jpg I wanna slit your throat and fuck the wound.
    ^Bro...

Iron maiden 31
    black sabbath 31
    slayer 29
    pantera 29
    judas priest 26
    metallica 27
    megadeth 7