Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

2015 ALBUMS OF THE YEAR THREAD

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    His lyrics are meaningful in a different way.. He's the OG troll.. Well maybe sid and Johnny are but he's up there too.. His lyrics have ten times the impact any faggy brocore or post hardcore shit out today
    Lyrics don't need to be eloquent to be good.. If the lyrics invoke powerful inner emotion they can qualify as good  
    Hail The real Jesus christ

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    Lyrics don't need to be eloquent to be good.. If the lyrics invoke powerful inner emotion they can qualify as good  
    :-|

Then why do you shit on folk metal so bad?
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    eh, folk/power metal lyrics are just stupid and cheesy. Especially if they're just fantastical. 

Because it's just dork shit and doesn't invoke any inner emotion whatsoever?

Because it's just dork shit and doesn't invoke any inner emotion whatsoever?
    To me it does. Like reading Lord of the Rings or watching Star Wars. It takes you on an adventure.

Many of those bands just play European folk music as well IE Korpiklaani. Folk stories. Arent you all about that Nola?
    edited July 2015
    Lord of the rings is a masterpiece.. Old folk stories are pretty cool but no they dont stir me up inside like a lot of the topics gg covers do.. The topics gg talks about are modern and real to me, that shit is interesting but not powerful to me..
    i understand why you like the shit you like, I just think it's cheesy the way they do it..
    Inside of aeons from chaotic spires
    A shell of frozen time
    Where beats the silent ocean
    Of shadows turned sublime
    Forces of inspiring luminescence
    Guide the hidden way
    I know that it will take me to
    Another golden age
    Sundered from daylight, by the rage of the unseen
    Betwixt carbonic plateaus where rarity convenes
    Under the heat of a thousand suns destruction is attained
    When flows the red and ochre histories ingrained
    Legends pass and time ticks on, entropy prevails
    Into the endless darkness every ship must sail
    Ouroboros uncoiled, the circle ends tonight
    One thousand years of history banished from all sight
    The sun will set forever
    Never to rise again
    And in the coming darkness
    We'll fight to the bitter end
    Our legend passed from memory
    It's time to turn the page
    The sun has set upon the golden age
    The final chapter, the end is close at hand
    Across the boundary where ocean meets the sand
    Embrace the anatine, forsake all that you know
    The tenebrous cosmic sphere where all of us must go
    Inside of aeons from chaotic spires
    A shell of frozen time
    Where beats the silent ocean
    Of shadows turned sublime
    Forces of inspiring luminescence
    Guide the hidden way
    I know that it will take me to
    Another golden age
    The sun will set forever
    Never to rise again
    And in the coming darkness
    We'll fight to the bitter end
    Our legend passed from memory
    It's time to turn the page
    The sun has set, now night is falling
    Never again to hear the calling
    The sun has set upon the golden age

>
    Eh those lyrics aren't that bad tbh, it's just not my cup of tea.. I don't connect to it like you do
    Thats Alestorm. You just admitted Alestorm arent that bad = ))
    Mission success
    edited July 2015
    Those lyrics aren't that bad.. The descriptive words like betwixted carbonic plateaus are dorky af but the overall theme of the lyrics is pretty good.. I just don't connect to it on any level.. It doesn't grasp life changing topics in my head and makes me think differently as a human being..
    BASED said:
    Their music is still ass tho
    You like Lil B
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Can't believe that dude got knocked out =))
    edited July 2015

Those lyrics aren't that bad.. The descriptive words like betwixted carbonic plateaus are dorky af but the overall theme of the lyrics is pretty good.. I just don't connect to it on any level.. It doesn't grasp life changing topics in my head and makes me think differently as a human being..
    Nah, Im kinda trolling at this point. I just think its silly to be elitist about folk metal, but lax about punk when they're both cheesy. 

Folk and power metal are great lyrically in a literary sense. That is creating a world and telling a story. But outside of like maybe Korpiklaani and Varg or something, there arent any real world applications to it. Outside of that its because Im a nerd, and I like to see my videogame and book worlds come to life in an aural form as well. 

Folky stuff like Agalloch gets an emotional response from me, but thats because I love nature and the pagan imagery. Nature is beautiful and often helps me see things differently. 

Outside of that, usually either the nihilistic Anaal Nathrakh or Mirrorthrone, or depressing Loss or Nocturnal Depression type shit resonate with me emotionally. 

I think bands like RatM and SoaD have good lyrics too. But those are very rooted in real world.
    edited July 2015
    Instrumental music gets me emotionally too. Mainly atmospheric neo-folk stuff, post-rock, and now synth though. 

Jazz and noise are fun, but those are more physical enjoyment and a sense of exploration than emotional connection. For the most part.
    Honestly I think agalloch is in a league all of their own .. No band even close to that genre does anything to me like agalloch does.. Idk what it is about them but they just have a way to really get inside you in a way other bands in the genre can't to me.. A really special band