Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Roku/Cordcutting thread

FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
edited June 2014 in Debate & Discourse

Anyone on MU own a Roku? I've been avoiding cable like the plague so I thought I'd ask for a firsthand opinion to see if its worth purchasing. Just have netflix at the moment which is cool but I wanna expand a little. I figure if I get all the free channels plus some paid channels like Hulu and NHL Gamecenter it'll still be a fraction of the price of cable.

Post edited by FIRENATHANIELHACKETT on

Comments

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy

I use my girlfriends and pretty much just for netflix. I think we used the amazon video app once.

I love winning with women
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy

fuck we get raped on our cable bill though 

• JeffJeff Posts: 1,164 just the tip

I have 2 Rokus and going to be buying a third soon. 

My set up automatically downloads TV shows and movies and then I use the PLEX roku channel to view them. No need at all for cable. 

There is a new Roku coming out. You can preorder it for $50 on Amazon right now. Search "Roku 3500" It uses HDMI and USB power. It's likely going to have the most recent updates and channels. As of now only the Roku 3 has Youtube. This should have it and is half the price. 

I have 2 lower end models of Roku. The Roku LT and the Roku HD. I love them both. I plan on getting the new one too. 

Let me know if you have any questions....I fully recommend a Roku though. 

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

so ended up getting the Roku 2. Been playing around with it and I like it so far. 

@Jeff‌How's your download/plex setup work :-?

• monicaamonicaa Posts: 7,109 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited March 2014

smh . some of us live alone and can't afford fucking $100 extra for shitty cable. I have Roku, Netflix and Amazon Prime, all I need.

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited March 2014

Yeah our cable bill is redic....I would switch if there were any reliable providers around... But the internet is bomb so I'm keeping that either way....shit our cable bill with internet is like 160 :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-&

I pay 35 for internet \m/

I pay $70 for internet. If I added even basic cable it'd be $130.. No thanks

• JeffJeff Posts: 1,164 just the tip

@Jake_Trollhunter‌  I use a thing called Usenet. Its...well...google it. I dont know exactly what it is. I use a provider called Frugal Usenet that cost $50 per year(cheapest there is) 

I use a program called NZBDrone. I add tv shows to it and it automatically searches for new episodes. I use a thing called SABnzbd+ which is told by nzbdrone to download the files. The files download at like 7-10 Mb/s. super fast. When the file is done downloading NZBdrone puts it in its proper folder. 

My plex server is set up so the folders the shows are in are part of my server so as long as plex is running on my computer I can go on my Roku, phone, another computer and watcht he show. its pretty sweet. 

For movies its basically the same but instead of NDBdrone I use a thing called CouchPotato. Same thing but for movies basically. 

Its kind of hard to explain. All together my set up cost me $60 a year. Better than paying for cable. 

If you want I can walk you through setting all of this stuff up. You need a decent computer for plex though. Not some super powerfull gaming computer but something with a decent processor and decent RAM. 

bump ov justice

Thought i was gonna be fucked out of watching the world cup without cable. Ended up masking my ip address so I can use BBC's stream and display it on my tv \m/ The US is one of the only (maybe THE ONLY) country in the world that doesnt have free access to the world cup. 

Also subscribed to hockeystreams.com. Can watch every nhl game plus all the post game shows and shit for 9 bucks a month. They also show the world cup and all the ufc ppvs \m/

• TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep

bump ov justice

Thought i was gonna be fucked out of watching the world cup without cable. Ended up masking my ip address so I can use BBC's stream and display it on my tv \m/ The US is one of the only (maybe THE ONLY) country in the world that doesnt have free access to the world cup. 

Also subscribed to hockeystreams.com. Can watch every nhl game plus all the post game shows and shit for 9 bucks a month. They also show the world cup and all the ufc ppvs \m/

because the u s of a is a fucking shit stain of a nation