Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Oliver Stone on drugz...(High Times int)

Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
edited March 2010 in Off Topic
We didn’t smoke in the field, because that was dangerous, but we smoked in base camps, which is often the hardest part of combat – because when you’re in base camps, you harden, too. The details, the duty, the pecking order, the bitching … it’s an ugly experience in base camp while you’re waiting to go out. This was 1967-68, but for a large group of us, led by the blacks – and many whites joined – we were finding ways to stay sane through dope.

Are you talking specifically about marijuana, or were other drugs being used?

Mostly weed … I don’t remember doing anything else. I know there was heroin coming around later – an unfortunate side product of the war. It certainly makes sense, considering it’s an opiate … and heroin is a pacific drug.

The War on Drugs has been going full swing since the ’60s. You yourself have been a victim.

Yeah, I was busted in December 1968 in San Diego. I’m not sure it was called the War on Drugs then, but Nixon’s border war had started, and I happened to be one of the early casualties – coming back from Mexico with Vietnamese dope on me. How stupid could I be, right? That’s really dumb.

Anyway, I was facing five to 20 on a federal smuggling charge. It was very scary, and I was in for a while. Finally, I got out because of my father. It was the beginning of the Drug War, which was obviously not working – most of these kids in prison should not have been there. They were young, they were facing long sentences, and it was very arbitrary. That really soured me quickly. With Morrison and Hendrix and Dylan leading the charge in those days, there was a whole new feeling about authority. We questioned it, we fought it – and, frankly, I’ve had my lapses, but I’ve never stopped questioning it.

How would you describe the marijuana experience?

I’ve found it to be very enlightening. Some people don’t – they find paranoia and worry. I think if you can control your mind, if you contain it, you can make marijuana be a friend, an ally. I wouldn’t do it all day, all the time, because I think you should try to balance your states – but certainly it’s been creative and opened me to new ideas. I’ve abused it at times, there’s no question, but I’ve always tried to be moderate throughout my whole life with everything, trying not to overdo it. Because abuse and excessive use can come quick, especially with substances like cocaine.

Peyote has been valuable, too, in the same way as marijuana. Also, ayahuasca and mushrooms.

Do you continue to use these substances?

Well, I’m older now. It’s tiring to do these trips – it’s exhausting. To do a peyote trip, it takes two, three days out of you.

It takes time to be high.

It’s also a journey. I did a major LSD trip not too many years ago. a very powerful trip. I learned a lot.

http://hightimes.com/lounge/dskye/6251

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

Comments