Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Orion Fest 2013 to be held in Detroit

Comments

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    I was blackout during Dillon Francis. Shit was dumb.

• GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    We were at the frantic stage when they came on. The mass if people running was just amazing to watch. It was constant until halfway through the set and that was just people running. There were people heading over at the end of the set.
    image Photobucket
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I would be pissed to be at a rise against show and not get one song off siren songs
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Day 2 :!!
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I still think savior is mad overrated

should be closing with something off siren or sufferer
    I love winning with women
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies

I still think savior is mad overrated

should be closing with something off siren or sufferer

Drones \m/
    inb4lists
    They should close with give it all. There are three songs that should be played every set from that cd. Swing life away And state of the union are the others
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    Day 2 - Sunday, June 9

Even though there was a baseball game taking place downtown at 1 in the afternoon, getting to Belle Isle was even less of a problem than the previous day. We parked in the same lot and literally walked right up onto the shuttle bus as soon as we got to the pickup area. We got to the festival area right around the time the gates were supposed to open at noon. With a couple hours until the music started, we went and checked out the Metallica museum. It was a little smaller than I envisioned, but it still had some incredibly interesting pieces of memorabilia such as original lyric sheets, tour posters and itineraries, and props like the Justice head, along with instruments like Cliff's last bass guitar and the guitar James was playing when the Montreal burning accident occurred. We also killed some time checking out the car show, the Globe of Death, and the Vans ramp right next to the Damage Inc stage.

At 2 we stopped at the Damage Inc stage to check out Cauldron, a fairly new band with a classic heavy metal sound. The crowd wasn't very big and the band didn't do much to get reactions from them, but their music was good enough to keep me interested. They're the classic guitar/bass/drums trio, and the guitar was the highlight of the show for sure, with some nice riffs and solos coming out over the course of the set. They even threw in a Venom cover for good measure. Overall, not a bad take on classic metal at all and a good way to get the day started.

Setlist (incomplete):

End of Time
    Burning Fortune
    Nitebreaker
    Miss You to Death
    Die Hard (Venom cover)
    All or Nothing

Next we ran over to the Fuel stage to see the first major highlight of the day, The Dillinger Escape Plan. After Rob introduced them, Greg came out and announced that Ben, one of their guitarists, had broken his hand, so he would instead be watching off to the side and criticizing their performance. Sure enough, Ben sat in a beanie chair off to the side of the stage while the band performed, singing backing vocals while he needed to and making fun of them during the entire set. The contrast between Ben and the rest of the band was pretty hilarious. Either way, having one less guitar didn't make Dillinger's show any less impressive. As you would expect, Greg was everywhere: in the crowd, on the speakers, on the drums, even climbing up the scaffolding of the stage itself. The new songs were awesome live, with Prancer being the perfect opener for them. I guess if I had one complaint, it would be that they didn't play enough of the new stuff. For a while, Chino Moreno was off to the side of the stage, and I thought they may do Behind The Wheel with him, but they did not. Even so, their set was so much fun to watch and they are an incredible live band. They finished by destroying their mics and the drum kit, a fitting end to a chaotic set.

Setlist (incomplete?):

Prancer
    Farewell, Mona Lisa
    Sugar Coated Sour
    Panasonic Youth
    Milk Lizard
    When I Lost My Bet
    Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants
    Sunshine the Werewolf

Next I ran over to the Orion stage to watch The Joy Formidable, another band I was really looking forward to seeing. Unfortunately, it was not to be. Shortly after they were supposed to take the stage, it was announced that travel delays had prevented them from reaching the festival and they would not be performing. This was pretty much the only disappointment of the weekend for me. Suddenly with some free time on my hands, I went over to the Frantic tent and watched Vista Chino for a while. Formerly known as Kyuss Lives, they were a nice little break after watching Dillinger. The music was cool, but there was nothing more than that from them, as they did not interact with the crowd once during the interval that I watched. Still pretty cool that I got to see some members of Kyuss perform for a bit.

After that it was back to the Fuel stage for Japandroids, a two-piece rock band out of Vancouver, Canada. All they were were one guitar and a drummer, with both sharing vocal duties. The stage definitely seemed to be a bit big for them, but still, they made the most of it and put on a heck of a show. Brian moved around as much as possible when he wasn't singing, and you could tell he was going full-tilt the whole time they were playing. Musically, the band impressed me with their ability to make good, catchy songs with just a couple instruments and some group vocals. The songs were simple but they worked, and I enjoyed every bit they pulled out. Another good band I would pay to see again.

Setlist (incomplete?):

Adrenaline Nightshift
    Fire's Highway
    Younger Us
    Rockers East Vancouver
    The Nights of Wine and Roses
    Wet Hair
    Evil's Sway
    Young Hearts Spark Fire
    The House That Heaven Built
    For the Love of Ivy (The Gun Club cover)

Finally, it was time to rush back to the Orion stage for the conclusion of the festival. First up was Deftones, and I had been anxiously waiting to see them again since Koi No Yokan was released. First, however, the band took us back to the previous album with three cuts from Diamond Eyes, starting with the title track. After an old song, the band went through four straight new songs starting with the beautiful Rosemary and ending with the driving Swerve City. This was the highlight of the set for me, as all four translated very well to the live setting. The band then ripped through Elite, one of my favorite White Pony songs, before closing the show with classics like Root and 7 Words. Chino was on his game once again, running around the stage when not playing guitar and crowdsurfing a good few times throughout the set. Overall, another great performance from a band I seem to get into more and more every time I see them.

Setlist:

Diamond Eyes
    You've Seen the Butcher
    Rocket Skates
    My Own Summer (Shove It)
    Rosemary
    Poltergeist
    Tempest
    Swerve City
    Elite
    Change (In the House of Flies)
    Engine No. 9
    Root
    7 Words

At this point, security proceeded to kick every person who was not wearing a VIP wristband out of the pit area, asking them to get in line to be let back in a little later. With the line as long as it was, I retreated to find a spot a few rows behind the pit area. Eventually people got restless and decided to hop the fence to the pit area and security gave up on trying to stop it lol. After what seemed like forever, The Ecstasy of Gold played on the video boards, followed by the intro to Blackened playing over the speakers. At last, Metallica came out and tore through four classic songs, most notably Blackened, Disposable Heroes, and Harvester of Sorrow. With the crowd fully into it, the band went through their only Death Magnetic song in the setlist, then went into a deep cut from ReLoad, Carpe Diem Baby, and I Disappear. In spite of neither track coming from their best years of work, they were both pretty cool to hear and I did not mind them playing them at all. It was all hits and old shit from then on, with the highlights including the awesome instrumental Orion, One preceded by fireworks and accompanied by a laser show, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), and Battery with lots and lots of pyro. For the encore, the band played homage to hometown artist Bob Seger by playing their rendition of Turn The Page, and in spite of them playing it the day before, they still closed with Seek and Destroy. Just like yesterday, the band was tight musically, and this time their stage show matched their energy. A great finish to a very fun festival.

Setlist:

Blackened
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Disposable Heroes
    Harvester of Sorrow
    The Day that Never Comes
    Carpe Diem Baby
    I Disappear
    Sad but True
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Orion
    One
    Master of Puppets
    Battery
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    ------------------------
    Turn the Page (Bob Seger cover)
    Creeping Death
    Seek & Destroy

After the show, James and Lars expressed their desire to bring the festival back to Detroit next year. The promoter has the island booked next year as well as 2015, so it's a definite possibility. I thought the whole festival was run very well, and those problems that arose were improved over the course of the weekend. If Orion comes back, I plan to be there and recommend checking it out.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    edited June 2013
    I was hoping Orion would change locations every year. You would think a bay area band would want to throw their own festival in the bay area.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    edited June 2013
    They played like four or five nights in a row in San Francisco a little while ago and played a Big Four show in Indio, you Cali people have no room to complain. [-X
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Yeah I could see them getting a good lineup together with the success if this year
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    That 5-day Fillmore thing was super limited and hella expensive. I don't really care about Metallica all that much but the line-ups to both years of Orion have been impressive. I'm just saying, it'd be cool if we all got a chance at the Orion experience without having to fly.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers

They played like four or five nights in a row in San Francisco a little while ago and played a Big Four show in Indio, you Cali people have no room to complain. [-X

Hands down, the hardest ticket to get that SF has seen in 20 years were those shows at the Fillmore. Most ridiculous market for them. Saw them going for like $750, if I remember correctly.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Forgot I wore my skeletonwitch "eat some fucking pussy" shirt the first day. That I know of, I took puctures with 6 people. But half of them I caught trying to just walk up behind me and take it so I don't know how many I'm really in lol
    image Photobucket
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    hmmmm next year in detriot huh :-?
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Seriously thinking about going. Havent seen metallica yet and thatd be awesome. The lineup would have to be way better doe.
    So if this is indeed and detroit again next year anyone willing to let me stay with them that weekend?