Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

TV

HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
Led, LCD,plasma, hurtz, 1080p 720p

Can someone please
Explain what the hell the deal is?

I want to get either a 40
Inch sharp or lg 1080p LCD, is that good? What's the difference? I don't trust the assholes at the store.

Comments

• Magson13Magson13 Posts: 1,584 just the tip
    One displays images, while the other displays images.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    1080 is about as good as it gets picture-wise
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    What's the difference between LCD and plasma or whatever?
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    HOODS said:

What's the difference between LCD and plasma or whatever?

LCD (Liquid crystal Display) uses a solid florescent back light to light up individual pixels in different ratios between red, green, and blue to get your colors. The color black is achieved by blocking the light in a certain pixel, but the problem here is that you can never get true black with LCD screens because there is still a light on behind it making the color actually more of a charcoal gray.

LED tvs work the same way. That is why LED tvs are actually technically called LED-LCD tvs. They use one of two back lighting schemes, and they use LED lights instead of florescent. The first type is edge lighting which uses a light on the four edges of the screen to light all the pixels on your tv. In this type of lighting you still run into color contrast issues and your blacks are never truly black. The other type is called local dimming LED tvs which use a grid of LED lights behind the pixels. This is the best because certain LED lights or cluster of lights can be turned off for your black color while other lights remain on for your other colors. In local dimming LED tvs you get a far better contrast ratio and a better picture quality overall.

Plasma tvs work differently. Behind every pixel there is a chamber that houses the plasma gas and when that gas is excited it causes that pixel to light up. Depending on the combination of red, green, and blue depends on what color you see, and to achieve black the pixel is simply not illuminated at all. This means that your blacks are truly black and your contrast ratio on plasma's is far better then LCDs and about the same (if not better) then local dimming LED tvs.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Plasma - The aliens shoot plasma rays down from their UFOs into your television box for a crystal clear picture.

LCD - A hardcore drug you need to snort in order for anything to show up on the screen.

Any other questions just ask.
    when it comes down to it, there are typically few substantial differences.

LED are typically known for having best lighting. All can get good picture though. Only thing to be careful about plasma is that it can burn an image in the screen if the picture is static too long, like a pause screen.
    this article is pretty good at looking at specs: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Marc, what would you suggest?
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    Go with a LCD-LED. Gives you the best picture and color. I have a Vizio LCD-LED and I love the the way it looks.

Also you want to get 120Hz or 240Hz.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Don't get plasma is my advice.

Debating on lcd vs led really isnt much of a difference just sales tactic to sell more tvs. Led has a slightly better picture and will save you a little in operating costs. I went with lcd because some many places sell them in ridiculous numbers it would be easier and cheaper to replace something If it breaks.

My recommendation is a sharp aquos lcd but you wont be going wrong If you get led. You can also get a bigger tv if you stay away from smart and 3d tvs for the price. I got a 60inch 1080p lcd for 1000. And get 1080p.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I hear DLPs are a pretty good deal right now.
    I love winning with women
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    go with an LED
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie