Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Fellow College Students: What is your Major and Why?

2»

Comments

• MetalSSlayerMetalSSlayer Posts: 6,164 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Mechanical Engineering.

I started off as Biology Pre-Dent, because all throughout high school I planned on becoming a dentist and even worked in a dentist office for a co-op my senior year. After my first year in college I realized that dentistry wasn't something I really wanted to do. After that I switched to Psychology because I found it interesting. After taking a few psych classes though I decided it wasn't interesting enough and switched to engineering.

From elementary school up through high school I was always better in my science and math classes than anything else, and I love the engineering classes that I've taken so far. I like building stuff and using heavy machinery so I picked mechanical engineering over electrical and computer.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers

Animal Science Pre-Vet concentration
    self explanatory; i wanna be a vet

Why? What about veterinary medicine specifically intrigued you? There are many ways to help animals, but why was medical care your choice?
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    because its such a necessity to take your pet to a vet that has a passion for animals
    every pet is going to need vet care for some reason or another and i look forward to making their lives better and their owners happier
    they deserve to have aid for any and every problem they have
    plus, on my off time i would donate my services to shelters for free
    its just my passion plus the salary isnt bad either
    imageimage
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Major: Kinesiology (currently Undecided)

After I did six months of physical therapy for a torn ACL, I became interested in the either athletic training or Physical Therapy. At this point in time, I am leaning towards more of the athletic training route because I would love to get to work with a collegiate athletic department. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and go to graduate school for PT and then come back and work with a university.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I am currently working on a digital signal processing graduate degree which is a specialization of Electrical Engineering.

Generally speaking I chose Electrical Engineering (Computer Engineering is my BS) because I have always had a great interest in electronics and a profound respect for the pioneers of the field. Nikola Tesla, and Claude Shannon are two people that I have long considered as two of the greatest scientist to ever live. Their work revolutionized the world, and spawned a whole new way of thinking. In some way I hope that my own work in EE will someday help change to future of society as greatly as their work did.

TLDR; I like to design and build electronics.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy

In less than three months, I will have a bachelor of science degree in aerospace engineering. I didn't settle on my major until a couple years ago, and I didn't realize I wanted to be an engineer until about halfway through high school.

I had pretty much no idea what I wanted to do with myself for the first couple years of high school. I had ideas, but nothing ever really clicked as something I was really interested in. I love playing in band and have a great passion for that, but I was simply not good enough to make a career out of music performance or education.

The turning point for me was when I finally decided to get involved in the robotics team at my high school. We participate in FIRST competitions every year where we build a robot to play a game or complete a task, and we have 6 weeks to do it. Over the three years that I was heavily involved with the team, it became pretty clear to me that I wanted to do something like this. Take a problem, figure out how to solve it, and work with a team to actually do it. In school, I enjoyed calculus and physics the most, even though they were probably my toughest subjects. So by my junior year, I had pretty much made up my mind that I wanted to be an engineer.

When I got to U of M, I had a couple years to decide which engineering field to go into. I quickly realized that programming was neither enjoyable nor a strong suit for me, so that eliminated electrical and computer engineering. Both my college chemistry and college physics classes were tough on me, but even though the physics one was a bit harder, I found it more enjoyable and a bit easier to grasp, so I decided my major would be a more physics-based one. Eventually, it came down to mechanical engineering vs. aerospace engineering. Both have a lot in common, but I found the aerospace industry to be the most interesting and with the most room to grow and discover and make some new and really cool things. So I declared as an aero major in 2010 and haven't looked back.

My favorite classes in my field has been my propulsion class and my orbital mechanics class. I want to concentrate in propulsion and I favor the space industry over the aircraft industry at this point, though I would enjoy working in either. I also enjoyed my flight dynamics and control class and aerodynamics class and wouldn't mind working in that area either. The only part of aero that I don't care for is the structures aspect.

you figure out where your going to grad school at yet jay?

• RAZORRAZOR Posts: 7,664 jayfacer
    I'm still thinking about it. :-?
    imageimage
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    rexum420 said:

In less than three months, I will have a bachelor of science degree in aerospace engineering. I didn't settle on my major until a couple years ago, and I didn't realize I wanted to be an engineer until about halfway through high school.

I had pretty much no idea what I wanted to do with myself for the first couple years of high school. I had ideas, but nothing ever really clicked as something I was really interested in. I love playing in band and have a great passion for that, but I was simply not good enough to make a career out of music performance or education.

The turning point for me was when I finally decided to get involved in the robotics team at my high school. We participate in FIRST competitions every year where we build a robot to play a game or complete a task, and we have 6 weeks to do it. Over the three years that I was heavily involved with the team, it became pretty clear to me that I wanted to do something like this. Take a problem, figure out how to solve it, and work with a team to actually do it. In school, I enjoyed calculus and physics the most, even though they were probably my toughest subjects. So by my junior year, I had pretty much made up my mind that I wanted to be an engineer.

When I got to U of M, I had a couple years to decide which engineering field to go into. I quickly realized that programming was neither enjoyable nor a strong suit for me, so that eliminated electrical and computer engineering. Both my college chemistry and college physics classes were tough on me, but even though the physics one was a bit harder, I found it more enjoyable and a bit easier to grasp, so I decided my major would be a more physics-based one. Eventually, it came down to mechanical engineering vs. aerospace engineering. Both have a lot in common, but I found the aerospace industry to be the most interesting and with the most room to grow and discover and make some new and really cool things. So I declared as an aero major in 2010 and haven't looked back.

My favorite classes in my field has been my propulsion class and my orbital mechanics class. I want to concentrate in propulsion and I favor the space industry over the aircraft industry at this point, though I would enjoy working in either. I also enjoyed my flight dynamics and control class and aerodynamics class and wouldn't mind working in that area either. The only part of aero that I don't care for is the structures aspect.

you figure out where your going to grad school at yet jay?

No grad school for me right now, I'm going right into the workplace. I might go back in the future but for various reasons I'm going to get a full-time job once I've got my degree.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • LeaLea Posts: 1,549 balls deep
    various reasons... :-?
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Fuck math whizzes. :-L
    I love winning with women
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    is Lea pregnant?
    imageimage
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy

Lea is pregnant.

• LeaLea Posts: 1,549 balls deep
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    edited September 2012
    I did not consider that it might be interpreted that way :)).......but no, she's not. lol
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Jacob Lollymayerweiner...

I have the results here.

You.
    Are.

NOT THE FATHER!

Let's bring out the real father now.......

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy