Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

*** Official Black Sabbath thread ***

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I couldn't listen :-S
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Honestly better then I expected and better then any of ozzy's latest solo work
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Damn this song kicks ass \m/

Oh wait, no it doesn't. Terrible production on the vocals, Shot In The Dark does not mix with Fairies Wear Boots. I like the clanky bass but the song is boring and repetitive as fuck
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    The upbeat section at the end doesn't make any sense with the rest of the song before it and just sounds like a lame attempt to be "old school"
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • Da_MuffinzDa_Muffinz Posts: 2,972 balls deep
    @Brian keep in mind this is only one song. The rest of the album might prove better.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Brian said:

The upbeat section at the end doesn't make any sense with the rest of the song before it and just sounds like a lame attempt to be "old school"

It kind of sounds like they combined two songs. I still think Geezer and Iommi can riff though.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    That was repetitive and lackluster. Not the best collection of riffs. Song doesn't flow well to me. After The Devil You Know, I had high expectations on the riff end.

There was a cool part with like a minute of a half left but that's all that stood out.
    I can imagine any band debuting their weakest song just to tease the fans and save the best of their work for when the album comes out. I honestly loved it. Ozzy sounds better than he has been in years. Very promising album.
    There's a difference between saving the best songs and releasing a shit one.

Maybe he could say "God is dead" 20 more times and it'd be cool
    Brian said:

There's a difference between saving the best songs and releasing a shit one.

Maybe he could say "God is dead" 20 more times and it'd be cool

Well maybe the rest of the album might prove more worthy.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    I'm not gonna dismiss the song or praise it. It was decent. I'll wait for the whole album to drop before I try to say much.

I'm not gonna dismiss the song or praise it. It was decent. I'll wait for the whole album to drop before I try to say much.

My thoughts exactly. There's actually quite a strong positive reaction from the song besides this forum it seems. People are digging it. And they sense an old school feeling to it.
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    We can put

My thoughts exactly. There's actually quite a strong positive reaction from the song besides this forum it seems. People are digging it. And they sense an old school feeling to it.
    I think there will be a strong reaction regardless. The fact its black sabbath is enough. Their status in the musical world holds a strong candle. They have enough fanboys and history to get a positive nod. Now add in the Ozzy factor and his legions of fans on top of the first album together in decades. This band can make a flop of an album and itll still get praise cuz Black Sabbath is in that legendary category. People praise the same way for Priest, Motorhead, Maiden and your other big bands in that category.

Any smaller band could not theoretically release a bad song as a first single to tease fans. Poor marketing tactic.
    jag said:

We can put

I think there will be a strong reaction regardless. The fact its black sabbath is enough. Their status in the musical world holds a strong candle. They have enough fanboys and history to get a positive nod. Now add in the Ozzy factor and his legions of fans on top of the first album together in decades. This band can make a flop of an album and itll still get praise cuz Black Sabbath is in that legendary category. People praise the same way for Priest, Motorhead, Maiden and your other big bands in that category.

Any smaller band could not theoretically release a bad song as a first single to tease fans. Poor marketing tactic.
    I see your point, I would be curious as to how many people actually like the song for what it is rather than whom the artist is.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    Apparently there's a different version of this song being aired somewhere else with a guitar solo and stuff. :-O wonder why they didn't air it here.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    still not interested
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    With metal originals Black Sabbath in town, fan Scott Kara got a preview of their reunion album - the first in 35 years by the band's classic line-up

By Scott Kara

By rights, the new Black Sabbath album should be a cracker, in the vein of their classic early 70s albums.

For starters, by Ozzy's own admission he was back using drugs while recording 13, which, considering that was always a vital ingredient in the creation of heavy metal masterpieces like Paranoid (1970) and Master of Reality (1971), then it bodes well.

But on a more serious and technical level, says Osbourne, superstar producer Rick Rubin's starting point was those first two Sabbath albums.

"He was hellbent on taking us back to our roots on this one. He kept it basic," said Osbourne at the band's Auckland press conference.

Bass player Geezer Butler agreed: "It was like going back to the original live [recording] feeling we had on the first three albums, and [Rubin] said we were one of the few bands who could still do it live in the studio. So that's the way we did it."

And after one listen at a special preview of the eight-track, 50-minute long album ahead of its release on June 7, TimeOut can report it's heavy, beautiful, and haunting as only Sabbath can be.

So here it is, track-by-track ...

End of the Beginning
    The first thing you notice - apart from Tony Iommi's glorious, grinding guitar licks, and the brain-rattling bass and rumbling drums - is that unique Sabbath tempo. For any other band it would sound plodding, but they somehow turn it into a fearsome lurch. While End of the Beginning is no War Pigs, it's an impressive epic that moves from foot-planting heaviness, to eerie tranquility, and then into one of Ozzy's tender serenades.

God Is Dead?
    The first single off the album - which, at almost nine minutes and the longest on the record, isn't exactly radio friendly - comes creeping and crawling out of the speakers like a prowler. But then it rumbles and pummels its way to an early crescendo like a brawler. And you can't help but laugh and throw a cheeky heavy metal goat salute when Ozzy sings a line like, "Out of the gloom, I rise up out of my tomb, into the impending doom".

Loner
    Basically, a straight-up riffing rocker, but in that distinct, perfectly-paced, 70s Sabbath style. It's on a song like this where it hits home that there is no other band that sound like this - and why, over the last 40 or so years, they have influenced everyone from Iron Maiden and Metallica to Nirvana and Foo Fighters.

Zeitgeist
    This ballad starts out spacey and alien-like accompanied by an acoustic instrumental backdrop with Ozzy's spooky vocoder-style vocals in full effect. It has hints of Paranoid's moochy psychedelic beauty Planet Caravan, although Zeigeist is more folky than trippy. It makes for a reflective and lovely centrepiece to the album.

Age of Reason
    This is where the album really starts to ratchet up, with Ozzy dueling vocally with the thumping drums and galactic guitars. It's one continuous graunching groove as the song escalates deeper and deeper into a maniacal place. While it whips up a melodic rock'n'roll maelstrom at times, it also transports you to a twisted and mangled place that modern day metallers Meshuggah might also lead you too. Fair to say it's one of the bruisers of the bunch.

Live Forever
    The song where Ozzy shares his frustrated philosophy of life with the line, "I don't want to live forever, but I don't want to die". Which might make you laugh, but you have to admit, the Prince of Darkness is right on this one. Musically it's a thigh-slapping goodie, and if you're not careful, you're liable to put your neck out too, especially during Iommi's blazing brazen guitar solo.

Damaged Soul
    Black Sabbath soul music anyone? Because it's not a psychedelic blues song, or a ballad, but somewhere in-between, kind of like heavy metal soul perhaps? That is before it escalates into tougher territory and settles into a stealth blues swagger. All of this and Ozzy still has time to ponder the predicament of "losing a battle between Satan and God".

Dear Father
    They save the most devastating, harrowing, and Iron Man-like riffs for last on this rugged and bludgeoning seven minute finale. It's got the traditional heaviness, but it's somehow modern sounding which might just be the influence of new drummer Brad Wilk, formerly of Rage Against the Machine.

Osbourne said at the press conference that he sees 13 as continuing on from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, the band's fifth album from 1973, which was arguably (and given their devout fans, this is risky to say) their last truly great record. And as 13 ends with a crack of thunder, a downpour of rain, and a tolling bell, you can't help but think that Sabbath really are back in business.

Who: Black Sabbath
    What: New album, 13, released June 7
    Playing: Vector Arena, tomorrow night (sold-out); Monday, tickets still available

- TimeOut